Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up to a cold frosty morning today and thought "great! I can use the pre-heating function via the key fob"
Pressed the button from the warmth of the house and the lights flashed correctly.

20 minutes later, I went out and found the car still frozen - Worse still, when I got in to drive away, the blower was producing zero heat - resulting in a very hard to clear screen and difficult drive to work into the low and bright sun!

I have checked what fuses I would feel relevant to this problem, but found nothing burnt.

(I also found out late into my journey that the heater works well when the petrol engine is generating the power) -

So problem remains - I have no heater on pure battery - Anyone else had this issue?

The display shows the 3 wavy "heater lines" as OFF, even when on max, with the fan and temperature on max

Trip to the dealer I think.....

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Yes, if it's set to "max" and the temperature is set to a high level and the fan is blowing then the heater should be on.
Do you have any warnings showing?

(only possible 'non fault' explanation might be with personalised key setting (I don't even know if personalised settings stores heating options as I don't use it) starting preheat with a key that has heating off, then driving on the other key, so the car remembered the start up key settings, whilst displaying the settings for the key in use.)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
When you say you've checked the relevant fuses, have you checked them with a multimeter or is it obvious whether they've blown or not? Apologies if it's obvious, I've never looked at the fuses in my Ampera in its first year!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
hopbackguy said:
When you say you've checked the relevant fuses, have you checked them with a multimeter or is it obvious whether they've blown or not? Apologies if it's obvious, I've never looked at the fuses in my Ampera in its first year!
Ah...ok, answered my own question, the fuses have little windows that show if they've melted.. :oops:

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,434 Posts
lordgaz said:
Pressed the button from the warmth of the house and the lights flashed correctly..
Maybe another silly suggestion but to activate the preheat I have to press the 'Lock' doors button first of all and then within a certain time press the pre-heat button. The locking doors flashes the indicators and the pre-heat brings on the lights (my headlights come on but that could just be because it is dark when I leave in the morning).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi - thank you for the replies!

Yes, I noted that the pre-heat only works when the doors are locked having had a few disappoining attempts previously and going outside to find nothing had happened!

I found that the heater issue had resolved itself when I left work this evening - so maybe the pre-heating attempt this morning had somehow confused the car, and a drive and shut down later, the whole issue became reset?..

Will hope for better luck tomorrow./

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parax said:
Yes, if it's set to "max" and the temperature is set to a high level and the fan is blowing then the heater should be on.
Do you have any warnings showing?

(only possible 'non fault' explanation might be with personalised key setting (I don't even know if personalised settings stores heating options as I don't use it) starting preheat with a key that has heating off, then driving on the other key, so the car remembered the start up key settings, whilst displaying the settings for the key in use.)
This I guess is possible, but I only have the one key - the other is kept at work - so not a cause in my case..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just realised something -

Car was attached to the charging cord when I tried to preheat this morning, but I tried to pre-heat at 8am and the charging period programmed (for Econ 7 ) in the car is until 7am - Would the car still preheat if attached to the charging cord, but outside of the charging period?
I think the fans came on on preheat, but no heat - there was some evidence of ice melt, but no warmth inside the car when I went out. And the heater definitely did not work until the ICE was running.... hmmmm

·
Registered
138 Posts
Pre heat works even when unplugged (or at least mine does) so I can't imagine any link to that being responsible for lack of heater function.

I do seem to remember that I needed to select pre-heat setings in the "config" menu way back when I first had the car though. Might be worth checking

Big Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big Paul said:
Pre heat works even when unplugged (or at least mine does) so I can't imagine any link to that being responsible for lack of heater function.

I do seem to remember that I needed to select pre-heat setings in the "config" menu way back when I first had the car though. Might be worth checking

Big Paul
Thanks mate - I will have a look...

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
I've had this and I know of others too. We came to the conclusion it's another one of those "bugs" that resets itself after a full charge.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree - it is one of the full charge resettable behaviours. I had a whole 29 mile journey with no chiller ( tried lowest temp setting to make sure) . Fogged up unless over the top blower on screen as a result. Fine next day after night time charge. That was after an interrupted pre-heat, interestingly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also notice that the climate control does not display percentages correctly if you interrupt a pre heat sequence. IIRC you need full charge to settle things down again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts