Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heater seems to have packed up in my 30kw Soul. I thought a couple of weeks ago that it wasn't getting very warm but dismissed it at the time.
Tonight it got lukewarm, turning it from 21 to 30 degrees had no effect whatsoever.
I'm going to check the fluid levels in the morning but am fearful that it is something more serious.
If the fluid level is good then I guess it's off to the dealer.
Im off work at the moment so can be without the car for a while without any great hardship.
Guess I can get them to fix the drivers heated seat at the same time.
Anyone else had issues with the heater?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think our Soul 27kWh had something related replaced under a technical bulletin along time ago but not sure of the details, sorry. It didn’t stop working though...

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
230 Posts
There is a radiator and coolant fluid system for cooling the propulsion electronics, I believe, but the heater does not use coolant fluid like an ICE car. It uses a combination of a heat pump (sort of like a reverse refrigerator, which is part of the aircon system) and an electric element (PTC Heater). If neither of those is working, it could be the temperature sensor for the cabin is defective.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a radiator and coolant fluid system for cooling the propulsion electronics, I believe, but the heater does not use coolant fluid like an ICE car. It uses a combination of a heat pump (sort of like a reverse refrigerator, which is part of the aircon system) and an electric element (PTC Heater). If neither of those is working, it could be the temperature sensor for the cabin is defective.
Thanks Ian, the aircon did pack up in the summer, I wonder if a simple regas would get the heat working again?

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Thanks Ian, the aircon did pack up in the summer, I wonder if a simple regas would get the heat working again?
There is no such thing as a simple regard, it's a complex system..The previous reply wet to temperature sensor might be on to something. If you pres EV button and check climate power consumption, what do see?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no such thing as a simple regard, it's a complex system..The previous reply wet to temperature sensor might be on to something. If you pres EV button and check climate power consumption, what do see?
Thanks for the reply.
I have just been out to have a look and putting the heat on shows no current being drawn by the climate.
Off to the dealership next week I guess!
IMG_20210109_142214.jpg
IMG_20210109_142201.jpg

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Does the heater fan work OK at all different speeds. Can you direct the outlets via the mode switch. Does the rear screen heater work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the heater fan work OK at all different speeds. Can you direct the outlets via the mode switch. Does the rear screen heater work.
Thanks for the reply.
I have checked the fan speed on all levels, working fine. Air blowing through all outlets depending on which mode selected. Heated rear window working fine.
I have checked the fuse labelled "IG3 2" which is described as running the "Heater assembly (PTC Heater)" and that seems fine.
Thanks for your input.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,863 Posts
So PTC resistance heater not pulling any current, looks like a control system issue😗😗😗
Doesn't have one. Not that.

My soul became cold some time back.

My Soul did too ... :confused: .... took it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the fault. But I can say for sure there is 'some' bug lurking in the brains of the 30kWh Soul. Either way, it is the dealer for you, my friend, whether a simple gas-up or if they finally find the evil spirit that decided to freeze my ass off one day for no good reason, and then go hide away in there, giggling away at me.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Doesn't have one. Not that.

My soul became cold some time back.

My Soul did too ... :confused: .... took it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the fault. But I can say for sure there is 'some' bug lurking in the brains of the 30kWh Soul. Either way, it is the dealer for you, my friend, whether a simple gas-up or if they finally find the evil spirit that decided to freeze my ass off one day for no good reason, and then go hide away in there, giggling away at me.
Are you sure there is no electrical resistance heater element, PTC or otherwise. The system schematic indicates there is one!

·
29,863 Posts
Not UK models, AFAIK.

Mine certainly did not heat up in the time frame one can expect of a PTC heater.

I suspect this is an optional fit for the very cold countries, like North America where Kia have always sought to push sales forward. A heat pump (alone) would be pretty useless in some of those places.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Not UK models, AFAIK.

Mine certainly did not heat up in the time frame one can expect of a PTC heater.

I suspect this is an optional fit for the very cold countries, like North America where Kia have always sought to push sales forward. A heat pump (alone) would be pretty useless in some of those places.
Ok, so the UK models do have a PTC heater, it's an integral part of the HVAC system not an optional market fitment.

·
29,863 Posts
Ok, so the UK models do have a PTC heater, it's an integral part of the HVAC system not an optional market fitment.
OK, if you say so, but I never noticed any characteristics of a PTC heater operating in all the time I had mine. Maybe it is there but doesn't come on above -10C?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the drama continues.
This morning it appears to be working again? Very odd.
The car is booked in at the dealers for investigation next week, the driver side heated seat needs fixing anyway.
IMG_20210112_104427.jpg

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
230 Posts
Anyone have an aftermarket servicing manual?
Ask and ye shall receive: Link.

Health warning - this is probably for the North American market, so there may be the odd difference. It seems to be pretty similar to downloads you can buy on EBay, but some (or all) of them do not have the Index, which is a mega-downside.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts