Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering once you opted for the heat pump, will VW take out the PTC heater or do they use in conjunction with each other?
How much range would you be losing without the heat pump?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering once you opted for the heat pump, will VW take out the PTC heater or do they use in conjunction with each other?
How much range would you be losing without the heat pump?
The car will have both the heatpump and the ptc heater

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, the car with the heat pump does not lose the PTC heater. The heat pump is very effective at a wide range of temperatures but I believe starts to lose effectiveness around 0 C. It probably needs a lot of help from the PTC heater at about -5 C. These are general comments about heat pumps in cars and not specifically about the e-Golf heat pump, which may be more efficient than others. I believe in cold weather the heat pump can give keep potentially 40% of the range that you would otherwise lose.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yes it has pre heat / cool. You can set it on a timer in the car or do it from an App on your phone.

As for the heat pump...i dont have one but i understand it will prob only on average gain you 5 or so miles range when the heater is on. Not worth £800 imo

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
If you like a warm car, the heat pump option can in most circumstances give you that heat ‘for free’ so you will see some range benefit.

Personally, it brings yet more complexity to a car I wanted to be as simple and reliable as possible, even before you consider the cost.

When range is critical, I switch HVAC off and use the heated seats and windscreen, which after I’ve pre-warmed the car whilst it’s plugged in works well for me even in freezing weather.

You can’t get much more efficient than off!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Off is certainly best, but the wife disagrees. Heat pump is worth it on cold days when the wife and need to make a long, toasty warm journey.

·
Registered
VW e-Golf 2020
1 Posts
In my area the heat pump is always included in a standard e-Golf, as is also a heated windshield and both can be remote controlled with the mobile app. I haven't had a change to test it yet in cold weather as I just picked up my car a month ago. But generally, -20 C is not uncommon here and the heat pump still keeps my house warm nicely although consuming a lot more electricity than in warmer temperatures, naturally. We'll see how the car copes in the winter…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts