Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Quick one here does the Ioniq PHEV have the option to A. Preheat and B. Does it have a dedicated heater that isn't just the residual heat from the engine.
My Niro PHEV heating relies on engine heat and it really does annoy me in the colder days that I have to have the ICE engine running to get any warmth into the car.

Thanks and sorry if this has been already covered elsewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Quick one here does the Ioniq PHEV have the option to A. Preheat and B. Does it have a dedicated heater that isn't just the residual heat from the engine.
My Niro PHEV heating relies on engine heat and it really does annoy me in the colder days that I have to have the ICE engine running to get any warmth into the car.

Thanks and sorry if this has been already covered elsewhere.
I think it is unbelievable that Hyundai have got their systems design so wrong but the worst thing of all is the fact that the only way to heat/demist the plug-in car is to run the engine to create waste heat. The all electric version must have an electric heater - why can't we fit that heater into the plug-in? Obviously the EV range would be reduced. In the Toyota Avensis I had, before this, the range was reduced from 37 to 30 miles but at least I could do journeys up to 15 miles and return on EV mode whereas with the Hyundai plug-in I can't do a two mile journey in EV mode in the winter. Its not just the heating for driver/passenger comfort it's the windscreen demist that's not available.
Anybody got a retrofit idea? Obviously the diddy little 12v things you can buy from e-bay are no use - they will only give about 150watt (12.5 amps) and 1000 watts is the minimum necessary. Would need to use the 170v power battery for this then it would need 6 amps - feasible

1 - 4 of 4 Posts