Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I’m a first time EV owner and took delivery of my 2.zero last week.

Love the car in a lot of ways although I haven’t been able to drive it as much as I’d like!

I noticed today though that the SOC dropped quite rapidly for relatively short distances, here are details for two trips:

- SOC from 58%-38%
- distance travelled 17 miles (Stirling-Cumbernauld)

- SOC from 38%-26%
- distance travelled 7.9 miles (within Cumbernauld)

I think the main issue is the heater, on the energy usage screen I saw the heating was pulling between 3-4.5kwh.

I wanted to ask if this is normal and are there any tips from users that I can use to help with heating/range?

I tried just turning the a/c on but it honestly just felt like cold air coming out.

On the return journey I was concerned with having no charge left so I only had the a/c on, first fan setting to demist the windscreen only.

If you need any more info/details from me to help come to a conclusion please let me know.

Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
That does seem like a big fall. I'm afraid I can't help on the 40 but on my 30 I just keep climate on auto and set to around 20C. It works fine unless there are others in the car and then it steams up a little and I occasionally have to press the clear screen button. I have played around with all the various combinations over the last 2 years, but they seem to make only marginal difference to range but are much more hassle and less comfortable so I stick with auto.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
What temp do you have it set to?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes set it to auto for min consumption. I have mine set to 17.5 and it’s plenty hot enough for this weather.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Heating a cold car every time will suck a lot of energy initially, until the car warms up. If you're plugged in at any point, then make sure you heat the cabin up. If you log in using the Nissan app, then you can pre-heat the car, or simply set the timer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your replies.

What temp do you have it set to?
I initially had temp set to 20 but during my first journey I noticed that SOC was going down pretty rapidly so changed it to 18 mid trip.

Heating a cold car every time will suck a lot of energy initially, until the car warms up. If you're plugged in at any point, then make sure you heat the cabin up. If you log in using the Nissan app, then you can pre-heat the car, or simply set the timer.
To add a bit more context, unfortunately we don’t have off street parking so rely on the public charge network. I do still use the app for remote climate control as it’s really handy on an icy morning. The morning for the trips mentioned above I initiated remote climate control just before I left the house and locked the front door. By the time I got the kids and stuff loaded in the car I would say it was no more than 5 minutes but the remote climate control had already sucked 8% battery in that short time (66%-58%). I know my battery was at 66% to begin with as it told me on the app. After seeing 8% in 5 mins just for the heater I thought something might be off.

I did think that the initial energy to warm up the car would be higher but it just never stopped demanding energy. The 17 mile journey took about 24 minutes so I thought the energy usage for heater would have tapered off at some point, especially considering I heated it up when leaving the house.

In terms of my other driving habits I was only doing between 60-65mph on the speedometer (pro pilot wasn’t working due to snow conditions).

Does anyone think I should get the dealer to check it out incase something is wrong with the heater? I’ll monitor the usage over the next few long journeys as well.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
There isn't anything wrong with it, that's just how much power it will use if you don't preheat while plugged in.

Usually the car would be plugged in and the power would come from the mains and would not decrease the battery.

The good news is that the energy use will drop dramatically as the weather warms up and your range will also increase as EVs like warm weather.

Reactions: Con

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would think Nissan could do something with all that heat in the 40 battery ;)
If only! I’ve only done two rapid charges to date (on separate days) but on the last one it was a bit disconcerting seeing the charge rate drop lower and lower the higher SOC got. Battery temp did also increase by about 50% according to Nissan display.

I haven’t got leafspy yet but really considering it at the moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There isn't anything wrong with it, that's just how much power it will use if you don't preheat while plugged in.

Usually the car would be plugged in and the power would come from the mains and would not decrease the battery.

The good news is that the energy use will drop dramatically as the weather warms up and your range will also increase as EVs like warm weather.
Ok thanks, I’ll monitor it for the time being although I think this may be the last cold spell (touch wood) for this season so I may have to wait until
next winter before doing some more tests.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I’m not convinced that Nissan Connect EV app and the car report the same % age.

My car was showing 32% and the app is showing 31%.

@Con how many miles have you driven? It takes a while for the range and BMS to settle down.

It sounds like you are up north where the temperature is on the brrrr side. I have not needed to use the remote heater since I took delivery 2 weeks ago. I’ve only covered just under 1200 miles so far. 1000 was in the first 10 days. I have done about 6/7 rapid charges. It supposedly helps bed the battery in to start with. Well, that’s what I was told to do by my local dealer.

I’m now getting around 150 miles when driven sensibly and keeping speed down to 62mph indicated on motorways. That is in temperatures around 7-10C. Internal temp 21C on auto.

Reactions: PeteEV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m not convinced that Nissan Connect EV app and the car report the same % age.

My car was showing 32% and the app is showing 31%.

@Con how many miles have you driven? It takes a while for the range and BMS to settle down.

It sounds like you are up north where the temperature is on the brrrr side. I have not needed to use the remote heater since I took delivery 2 weeks ago. I’ve only covered just under 1200 miles so far. 1000 was in the first 10 days. I have done about 6/7 rapid charges. It supposedly helps bed the battery in to start with. Well, that’s what I was told to do by my local dealer.

I’m now getting around 150 miles when driven sensibly and keeping speed down to 62mph indicated on motorways. That is in temperatures around 7-10C. Internal temp 21C on auto.
Thanks Mike, I’ll keep an eye on the SOC listed on app and actual in the car for any variances.

I’ve only done about 150 miles so far, like I mentioned I really want to get out and drive more but I’m tied down for the next 10 days or so. I was told by my dealer not to rely on the range GOM until 3,000 miles have been done as then it will be able to provide an accurate range based on your driving style (apparently). The dealer told me to monitor the battery percentage instead which is definitely the right thing to do as the range at 58% was nowhere near accurate for that first journey I did. I wasn’t told about the BMS taking time to settle down though so that’s helpful to know.

Do you mainly charge at home? I would love to be able to but unfortunately we just can’t. I’ve put in a request for on street charging with my Council though. At the moment charging is free in Scotland anyway which is a small bonus, although that will be changing pretty soon with new charge rates.

Have any of your rapid battery charges been consecutive? I’ve seen all the videos about rapidgate but honestly don’t think it will affect us as we don’t go that far in a single round trip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got my leaf set to 23.5C with the heat button switched on and not on auto (yeah, I like a warm car :)). I left work on 100% charge, did three trips arriving back at work the next day with 13% charge, total 100 miles. More than happy with that given I wasn't driving economically and the heating I have set.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
@Con i do historically charge at home. I have off street parking. Most of my driving will be within range, but occasionally I travel further and will have to rapid charge.

On the day I collected my Leaf aka ‘The Lemon’ I drive 270 miles back home. 3 rapid charges. 2nd & 3rd were at a reduced rate.

Since then, the furthest I have driven in one day is 150 miles, so only charged up the once on those days.

Reactions: Con

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hello there,

I’m a first time EV owner and took delivery of my 2.zero last week.

Love the car in a lot of ways although I haven’t been able to drive it as much as I’d like!

I noticed today though that the SOC dropped quite rapidly for relatively short distances, here are details for two trips:

- SOC from 58%-38%
- distance travelled 17 miles (Stirling-Cumbernauld)

- SOC from 38%-26%
- distance travelled 7.9 miles (within Cumbernauld)

I think the main issue is the heater, on the energy usage screen I saw the heating was pulling between 3-4.5kwh.

I wanted to ask if this is normal and are there any tips from users that I can use to help with heating/range?

I tried just turning the a/c on but it honestly just felt like cold air coming out.

On the return journey I was concerned with having no charge left so I only had the a/c on, first fan setting to demist the windscreen only.

If you need any more info/details from me to help come to a conclusion please let me know.

Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks
I don't know where the sensors are, but we very quickly turned the temperature down (and eco on). Otherwise it blasts hot air (and takes off from the lights barely touching the accelerator).

It's like Nissan made a more powerful car, and wanted to prove it!

We find setting 17 degrees comfortable, we set 21 degrees in the diesel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts