Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably being quite dense here but I am very confused about how the heating system in the Niro works. I understand the Air Con setting but how do you heat the car without it? I have tried pressing the Climate Control button and increasing the temperature control but I just get cold air. I find the manual very confusing too! There is also a button which says Heat but what is that for? I basically want to heat the car without the drain of A/C and minimal drain on battery range. Can anyone please give me a straightforward answer? Thanks!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am probably being quite dense here but I am very confused about how the heating system in the Niro works. I understand the Air Con setting but how do you heat the car without it? I have tried pressing the Climate Control button and increasing the temperature control but I just get cold air. I find the manual very confusing too! There is also a button which says Heat but what is that for? I basically want to heat the car without the drain of A/C and minimal drain on battery range. Can anyone please give me a straightforward answer? Thanks!
Assuming it is similar to the Kona, to actually get heat you have to set the desired temp and also press the HEAT button.
There might be short delay before the heat arrives...

The use of the HEAT button is explained in my online copy of the UK Niro manual on p 5-117

Or page 5-112 in the Canadian version, here Download Kia 2019 niro Owner's Manual | ManualsLib

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just press 'auto' on the temperature control and adjust the temperature to what you want. This is all you need to know in normal drive mode. If you use Eco or Eco+ the climate control is restricted. And normal mode doesn't use any more power if you're not wearing lead boots.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Ditto to what John said, just leave it on auto and adjust the temperature. The car should turn on cabin heat if the ambient temperature in the vehicle is less than the desired temperature set (evidenced by the little light above the heat button). There is a factor built into the HVAC to account for solar gain so in bright sunshine, you may find the AC on longer as it works to counteract the anticipated greenhouse effect.

I believe Eco+ switches the HVAC off completely but don’t drive around freezing your nuts off, that’s the stuff of first gen Leafs and not necessary with the effect on range in the Niro pretty inconsequential.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Easy,
Set AUTO then adjust TEMPERATURE for full climate control.
Set A/C then adjust TEMPERATURE for cooling only.
Set HEAT then adjust TEMPERATURE for heating only.
Set HEAT then adjust TEMPERATURE to the lowest for outside fresh air only.
Set A/C and HEAT together then adjust TEMPERATURE for dehumidifying.
Set AUTO, A/C and HEAT off for no air flow at all.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
324 Posts
No need to set HEAT for letting in outside fresh air. The same can be achieved by setting A/C off and set temp as desired.

In fact, I also believe that when setting AUTO, A/C and HEAT off, you can still let in outside air by adjusting the fan speed.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
382 Posts
Whist the HVAC clearly works, I have to say I find it rather confusing also. It’s not obvious when it’s recirculating cabin air or not. Most cars have a recirc button, maybe with an indicator too. Handy to shut out bad external fumes in a hurry. I’ve not had the car a week yet, so maybe there’s more to learn.

I’m tending to use Auto mostly but frequently seem to find my legs/feet are cold relative to my face which is too warm and stuffy. I’m very surprised also that there are no temperature up/down buttons on the steering wheel. It is quite inconvenient reaching right over to the rotary temperature set knob whilst driving IMO.
Peter

·
Registered
324 Posts
It’s not obvious when it’s recirculating cabin air or not. Most cars have a recirc button, maybe with an indicator too. Handy to shut out bad external fumes in a hurry. I’ve not had the car a week yet, so maybe there’s more to learn.
The center of the knob you use to regulate the fan speed can be pressed down to activate recirculation.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
382 Posts
Haha, thanks. I hadn’t seen that one yet. I’m somewhat overwhelmed with the amount of buttons everywhere to be honest! However, when in auto, if the system decides to recirculate by itself, does that LED come on? I assume it probably does?

Peter

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I can't quite see what people are going on about "getting fresh air into the car"? That's what comes through the vents doesn't it unless you press the re-circ button? Have I missed something here? Press the "Auto" button, set the desired temperature and leave it alone. The only interventions required are the front and back screen demist buttons if you can't see out the windows and the re-circ button if the guy in front doesn't use deodorant (y)

·
Registered
418 Posts
By ‘Fresh Air’ I mean, outside air uncooled and unheated.

Normally in cars I understand that recirculated air is around 90% internal and 10% external mixed and conditioned, heated or cooled. I believe it is possible to reset the default recirculate setting to 100% internal air similar to the Tesla NBC mode via a sequence of button pushing but I have never done it as too much bother and unnecessary.

·
Registered
307 Posts
First car I've seen that has a "heat" button. Kinda weird since most cars just heat based on a temperature dial and have a separate switch for A/C. Maybe because it's an HVAC the heat and A/C buttons literally tell the heat exchanger which direction to run in?

In any case, just use Auto.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
First car I've seen that has a "heat" button. Kinda weird since most cars just heat based on a temperature dial and have a separate switch for A/C. Maybe because it's an HVAC the heat and A/C buttons literally tell the heat exchanger which direction to run in?

In any case, just use Auto.
That's because in most cars (i.e. non EVs), heat is always produced (wasted) so you don't need to "switch it on." It's always on, wasting huge amounts of energy in the process.

This is my favourite massive fail argument deployed by ICE drivers. Ha Ha they say, look how your range drops when you have to use the battery to produce heat, you don't have to use energy in my car to run the heating so it's much more efficient :rolleyes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is my favourite massive fail argument deployed by ICE drivers. Ha Ha they say, look how your range drops when you have to use the battery to produce heat, you don't have to use energy in my car to run the heating so it's much more efficient :rolleyes:
13 kWh per litre of petrol and average consumption of an average ICE car is 6 litres per 100 km so 78 kWh. That´s highly efficient indeed ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies and advice. I've just about sorted it now. The range isn't badly affected with the heating on and my wife is relieved to know that she doesn't need to use a car blanket and bobble hat and take a flask of hot chocolate every time we go out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts