Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way of heating the cabin of their GTE whilst charging?

I recently had to wait outside a hospital for my girlfriend and thought I'd put some electrons in whilst getting some free heat. The only way I could find to get a decent amount of warmth out of the heater was to set up a (few) timer settings, but then couldn't have the auxiliaries on. Pushing the 'charge now' button by the car's socket just seemed to put juice in the car but only a whisper of very luke warm air out the vents.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
What was the output of the charging facility you where using ?.
Charging from a "Granny" / three pin plug or a low powered supply at 3.6kw will only produce a low value heat inside the cabin.
Pushing the "Charge Now" button in the charge port, will give you the intended request, charge now.
I guess the warm heat you then detected in the cabin, would be the remaining residual heat being accessed from the cooling system when the ICE had been running.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Practically impossible. Onboard charger is only 3.3kW.

The heating system uses almost all of the charging power, so the battery will charge, but very, very slowly.

This is only really possible when the car is already quite warm or the outside temperature is quite good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Charger was a 7kw public charger. I was sitting there for about 2 hours so I'm sure that that the small amount of heat was being generated solely by electrons.

It makes sense that the car struggles to charge and heat at the same time.

Does this mean that when pre heating, the car chargers first then heats up the cabin?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If you select both charging and pre-heating from the app, the car seems to prioritise heating, so it will charge very slowly.

If you have a scheduled departure time then the car seems to charge first. Not sure what it does if the pre-heating needs to happen e.g. if you plug in just 30 minutes before departure, I suspect it might heat up the cabin instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts