Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not talking about pre-heating, but keeping the car warm while you're parked somewhere and waiting wile charging. I read this observation in the Dutch forum by user GErtjanVB; maybe there are other "tricks"?
- before charging and even getting out of the car, set comfort-timer, knowing she'll start 15 minutes earlier;
- connect cable and start charging;
- get back in.

If you'll set the comfort-timer after the charging has started, she'll start the blower, but just cold air. But even then, opening and closing the door activates the heater.

I haven't tried, so I cannot vow for this, but maybe it will help somebody.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I like the Zoe and the new Zoe 40 is appealing but not being able to turn the ignition on whilst charging and having the heater working is a disadvantage compared to the LEAF. I wonder if they have improved this short coming in the new model?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm not sure such a rigmarole is required - according to a post I remember reading at the MyRenaultZOE.com site (I didn't try it myself) you can have the heating on while charging so long as you insert the keycard into its slot.

·
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was indeed in the replies on that thread (keyfob button or in dash). But then somebody said it doesn't work on the Life version. Well, I do have a Life, but the times I am in this situation myself are very far between. So I cannot confirm or deny yet.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
I've never had heating work with key in slot only, just the window opening/closing fix that was rolled out a year ago.

As I like fiddling about trying to find sneaky hacks I'll give this some attention over the coming weeks and see if I can work out an easy process.

·
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just use the key fob when charging and in the car. Works but does not dehumidify, so car steams up.
The heatpump cannot cool-then-heat AFAIK, which is how dehumidification works. What I am trying to say is it is not something that doesn't work when charging. It doesn't work at all. De-misting the windshield, as far as I can tell is simply vent as hard as it can with as much heat as it can.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The heatpump cannot cool-then-heat AFAIK, which is how dehumidification works. What I am trying to say is it is not something that doesn't work when charging. It doesn't work at all. De-misting the windshield, as far as I can tell is simply vent as hard as it can with as much heat as it can.
Not sure, it dehumidifies pretty quickly once you switch the engine on after charging. Something is not working when using the keyfob which is when the engine is on properly - dehumidifier?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tested this yesterday. At 0 degC.
Charging....
Key card inserted, Temp to 25....COLD AIR
Key card removed, precondition button, HOT AIR
Stops after 5 to 10 minutes
Phone APP command, one minute later HOT AIR for 5 to 10 minutes

It's not ideal, but I can live with this.(I am never in a car while charging)

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
@Crf yep I confirm that. nowt with card in slot. if those that do get heating could test this some more and report back please. Might be that there is an rlink update floating about that some folk have and others don't

1. can you confirm heat for whole charge cycle.
2. does the compressor/fan run the whole time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
@Crf yep I confirm that. nowt with card in slot. if those that do get heating could test this some more and report back please. Might be that there is an rlink update floating about that some folk have and others don't

1. can you confirm heat for whole charge cycle.
2. does the compressor/fan run the whole time.
Like I said it runs for 5 to 10 minutes. I did not look at the clock. But it can be restarted with another button push.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
Yes button push boost works. card in slot doesn't

That said it's clearly just a software variable. and that heating while charging could be an option easily switches on in the Q1 2017 firmware update (we just don't know just now)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes button push boost works. card in slot doesn't

That said it's clearly just a software variable. and that heating while charging could be an option easily switches on in the Q1 2017 firmware update (we just don't know just now)
They probably worked on the update during the summer when pre conditioning heat was on nobodies mind :)

·
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I experimented a little bit yesterday evening. As @CaptFish suggested and @Sandy confirmed, keyfob works fine, but only when the battery is over 45% SOC.

I would strongly suggest for anyone who is testing with the app, timers, and/or the keyfob to carefully check the SOC before reporting "it does not work". In my case, the blinkers didn't even flash sub 45% when holding the keyfob preheat button.

·
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And I got this funky tip. If the SOC > 45% and the Keyfob stil doesn't start the heating, open and close a door for a second and retry. She seems to want to think you're not inside.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any chance this will be fixed with the new ZE 40?

It's odd that it doesn't do such a basic thing obviously but we need vague and obscure methods to get it to do it. While a Tesla uses the power from the plug to heat up the cabin while charging should you need to.

It could be, after all the new one also has pack heating too.

·
Registered
793 Posts
My two cents on why the car fogs up when using the preconditioning... Bet it is running in recirculation mode. It's the most economic way to heat, cool a room. Just does not get rid of the moisture.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
My two cents on why the car fogs up when using the preconditioning... Bet it is running in recirculation mode. It's the most economic way to heat, cool a room. Just does not get rid of the moisture.

It's heating, not cooling so no AC. hence fog... but only if you already have excess moisture in your car I guess.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts