Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Model Y having a heatpump, this should come to Model 3.

I think this would be the best mod or upgrade, potentially making a big difference to range in cold weathet. Would anyone else be tempted to mod their car for a heatpump? Or upgrade to Model Y?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Unlikely to be offered as a retrofit option by Tesla.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Possibly something expensive and complex to go wrong for limited benefit with larger battery EVs
You do realise that a heat pump is basically just an air conditioning system which can be switched into reverse ?

Even if you don't have a "heat pump" that heats the car, (in an EV with a resistance heater) you still have a "heat pump" which cools it in the form of air conditioning. (Pumping heat out of the car)

The main difference is some changes in the air ducting so that the mode of operation can be reconfigured, as well as a reversible compressor cycle.

It's not actually that much more complexity to turn an air conditioning system into a full bi-directional heat pump.

Also I'd suggest that saying heat pumps (and the resulting efficiency gains) are not neccessary on large battery EV's is a bit like saying there's no point making a combustion engine more efficient because they can already do 500 miles with an average size fuel tank! Efficiency is efficiency and it's always a good idea to optimise it, whether you "need" it for range or not.

What's wrong with being more efficient for the sake of not wasting as much energy ?

It's also paradoxical that Tesla has worked hard (motors, drive electronics, battery, aerodynamics etc) to make the Model 3 one of the most efficient EV's out there - except for the heater, while some others like Kia/Hyundai have gone the whole way and made EV's with extremely efficient drive trains and heater, and for a lower price.

I think the inclusion of a full heat pump system in the Model Y and (hopefully) in future Model 3's is great news.

I've said for a while now that leaving out the heat pump in the Model 3 was probably a cost cutting and time saving measure to try to hit the original $35k target price and release date, however now the car is a success and hasn't really hit that original target price anyway, a heat pump will be on the cards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts