Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today (10 days into it) that Helix Motors is taking a fun approach to raise awareness of their early stage vehicle. It is a kickstarter campaign. While you can still go to their website to register for updates I thought the kickstarter approach was interesting for two reasons. It provides another avenue for them to explain their vision through video and it also provides pledging opportunities (Helix is using clothing as the rewards).

Having driven one of the first 3 wheeled tilting vehicles it was a ton of fun. I am excited to see Helix working towards a EV tilting ride!
What do you think of this approach to raise awareness of a early stage EV product?
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Eyewear

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,604 Posts
I have provided guidance to EV companies in the past and I support new EV startups when asked. And, to be clear, I am not getting paid from Helix.
How do you feel about their approach?
Thanks
Round-about way of not answering my question.

What’s the obsession with three wheels? Why not four? Or five?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

What’s the obsession with three wheels? Why not four? Or five?
Watch the video of Jeremy Clarkson in the Carver One and you will get a small sense of what it feels like. I had a chance to drive a Carver One and it was a bunch of fun! It's that simple. No problem on my end if you don't agree. I am still hopeful that a vehicle of this type will come to market.
Cheers

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,989 Posts

What’s the obsession with three wheels?
They are chasing the dream into its 6th decade....

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

It's funny that a lot of these folks believe they are the first to figure out a small electric 3 wheeler makes sense for local commuting, not realising their grandparents must have been reading about the implementation of the idea when their parents were still pre-school.

Why not four? Or five?
I'm in for 8!

Automotive side-view mirror Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
523 Posts
I remember seeing the Carver many years ago. I wanted one! But out of my price range at the time.

So, I shall watch this with interest. Can't see myself buying one, bit late in the day for me. I just creak too much, but I would love to have a go in one. 😀

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would say "And, to be clear, I am not getting paid from Helix." is a different answer to the question of "are you working directly or indirectly for this campaign".

I would answer anyway, though. "Raising Awareness" is usually associated with stuff like disease, illness, or otherwise terrible issues, so it's a bit of a tainted phrase to use.

Perhaps appropriate, though, because the video suggests that Helix believe in:
  • Environmentally responsible technology
  • Innovation
  • "and more importantly, positive change"
  • that will "reduce traffic congestion"
  • and "optimise road and parking space"

My thoughts on what I saw:

Is it innovative?
No. At the most recent, it seems to be a copy and paste of a Carver One. Going back a bit more, it's essentially a tilting version of a Reliant Robin or a Bond Bug. Does that qualify it as 'innovative'? For me, no.

Is it 'positive change', or 'environmentally responsible'?
I think that would need to be qualified. It seems like a vehicle with pretty limited use. Unlikely to be suitable at all for disabled people or those with reduced mobility, so that isn't "positive change" (although I'm sure we know that phrase was coined as a buzz word, rather than for substance). Furthermore, it isn't confirmed, but looks like it can only seat two people maximum, so not only is it unlikely to reduce EV use, but it doesn't look like it would be suitable for a wide range of people. Is that environmentally responsible? How is that qualified?

Will it reduce traffic congestion? "Optimise road and parking space"?
How would it? It looks like it is as long as a small car, and it wouldn't be legal or possible to make thinner lanes (or double up), so the statement is ridiculous, really. So it's not going to "optimise" any space at all.

Furthermore, lots of claims of it being "safe". How is that qualified when it doesn't exist and hasn't been checked?

The whole thing seems naive at best, and a scam at worst. For a litigious society, I would be curious to know if it's legal to make all those claims in the US and not be open to being sued.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I would say "And, to be clear, I am not getting paid from Helix." is a different answer to the question of "are you working directly or indirectly for this campaign".

I would answer anyway, though. "Raising Awareness" is usually associated with stuff like disease, illness, or otherwise terrible issues, so it's a bit of a tainted phrase to use.

Perhaps appropriate, though, because the video suggests that Helix believe in:
  • Environmentally responsible technology
  • Innovation
  • "and more importantly, positive change"
  • that will "reduce traffic congestion"
  • and "optimise road and parking space"

My thoughts on what I saw:

Is it innovative?
No. At the most recent, it seems to be a copy and paste of a Carver One. Going back a bit more, it's essentially a tilting version of a Reliant Robin or a Bond Bug. Does that qualify it as 'innovative'? For me, no.

Is it 'positive change', or 'environmentally responsible'?
I think that would need to be qualified. It seems like a vehicle with pretty limited use. Unlikely to be suitable at all for disabled people or those with reduced mobility, so that isn't "positive change" (although I'm sure we know that phrase was coined as a buzz word, rather than for substance). Furthermore, it isn't confirmed, but looks like it can only seat two people maximum, so not only is it unlikely to reduce EV use, but it doesn't look like it would be suitable for a wide range of people. Is that environmentally responsible? How is that qualified?

Will it reduce traffic congestion? "Optimise road and parking space"?
How would it? It looks like it is as long as a small car, and it wouldn't be legal or possible to make thinner lanes (or double up), so the statement is ridiculous, really. So it's not going to "optimise" any space at all.

Furthermore, lots of claims of it being "safe". How is that qualified when it doesn't exist and hasn't been checked?

The whole thing seems naive at best, and a scam at worst. For a litigious society, I would be curious to know if it's legal to make all those claims in the US and not be open to being sued.

Probably worth also noting that most Tesla "advertising" is the unpaid promotion of the brand by fans of what Tesla are doing. If I had to guess then I'd say the free advertising Tesla gets from this source must be worth tens of millions of dollars. Given how successful this cost-free approach to advertising and promotion has been, it's not surprising that many other companies are doing the same thing and using unpaid influencers to spread the word about their products.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Or rather people that have driven or own the product and rave about it.

Trick is you need to have a product to sell first...

Curiously it doesn't seem that ownership is a pre-requisite for being an ardent supporter. There are many examples of this, including at least one here on this very forum. It was very noticeable before the Model 3 was available just how many people were saying it was the best car ever made on the planet, months before they'd even seen one, let alone owned one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Curiously it doesn't seem that ownership is a pre-requisite for being an ardent supporter. There are many examples of this, including at least one here on this very forum. It was very noticeable before the Model 3 was available just how many people were saying it was the best car ever made on the planet, months before they'd even seen one, let alone owned one.
I suppose it depends on your definition.
At this stage, 'Helix Motors' is glorified merchandise only. They don't appear to have any products that exist beyond that.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,604 Posts
That’s fine, but they’re raving about something that exists and you can buy.

Which is why I don’t understand FCEV fanboys. :)

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
That’s fine, but they’re raving about something that exists and you can buy.

Which is why I don’t understand FCEV fanboys. :)

Thousands were raving about the Model 3 before it was available to buy! The fact that it was a new model from Tesla was enough to have some raving about it. The same thing is happening with the Cybertruck.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,604 Posts
Thousands were raving about the Model 3 before it was available to buy! The fact that it was a new model from Tesla was enough to have some raving about it. The same thing is happening with the Cybertruck.
They had a track record with the model S/X. You could test drive one.

They didn't have much media traction with the original Roadster.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,832 Posts
I'll say this thing looks kinda cool, like it could be a lot of fun and it's probably as dangerous as motorbike, if not more so. If they can manage to produce it I guess it will have a market but it will predominantly be as a toy rather than practical transport

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love when people mention the "Reliant Robin". There is a great top gear video of them driving one (if you can even call it driving). It is hilarious!

Reliant Robin's vehicle dynamics is not equal to the vehicle dynamics and technology of Carver One's DVC or Helix Motors patented DSCS. Comparing them, without understanding the DVC, DSCS or basic vehicle dynamics, is also hilarious.
Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts