Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, had my shiny new Leaf Tekna for just over a week now and love it. Did my first extended journey from Manchester (home) to Birmingham with a planned stop at Keele Services on the M6. A little hiccup with the SB charger not working but soon sorted by Ecotricity and Welcome Break.
Charged up at Colliers Nissan in B'ham for the return leg (warm welcome) and home again via Keele. Great motoring

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Welcome, looks impressive in that colour/spec with those wheels!

That's a heck of a journey for a new Leaf owner, are you new to EVs in general, or have you got some experience?

p.s. I've moved this to introductions so the non-Leaf folk are more likely to see it say "hi" too. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul for moving to this thread. No I am complete newbie to EV's, the trip was more due to the timing, had a family wedding in Birmingham last weekend so it was either use the leaf or hire. Prior to taking a test drive about three weeks ago I had no idea of the ups and downs of EV ownership but after the test drive I was hooked. I then spent the two weeks before delivery of the car reading everything I could get my hands on and following various forums. This and other such forums are a treasure trove of information and I gained a huge amount of useful data from them.
I also spent the two weeks gathering RFID cards I thought I might need, I have Ecotricity, CYC and Polar. I have been a little less lucky with installation of a home charger, it seems the current (no pun intended) electrical installation needs upgrading to make it suitable, waiting for our electric supplier to do the necessary before British Gas return to fit the charger on the 16th October. Thanks to all the forum mods for the great work you do.
David Ash

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Talk about a baptism of fire, I guess if you're going to jump in you may as well do it with both feet!

We're all new here, this is my second bash at an EV forum, the first was perhaps before it's time, always been a car guy and like you it was the driving experience of an electric car that had me hooked.

I have ecotricity and Polar/Chargemaster cards only, and so far they've served me well, the "electric highway" is just a brilliant idea.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and very nice car. I do like the blue front badge:)

I'm still waiting for delivery of mine (leaves the factory on Monday) yay! Like you, I've read everything and watched pretty much every YouTube video going.... I just need the car.:confused:

I had my home charger installed by pod-point a couple of months ago in preparation. I'm just about to install an inline electrical meter so that I can measure my electrical usage once I start charging the car - for interest and full comparison coatings really.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will not be disappointed, it's a dream to drive, the temptation is to jump in at any little excuse to go for a drive. How difficult is it to install an inline meter ?
David

·
Registered
81 Posts
I managed to obtain an Elster A100C meter from Ebay at around £20.

I will probably phone an electrician to install for me, but looking at the unit it only has a supply L&N and Load L&N.

As my setup is: main fuse box --- pod-point isolator --- pod- point charger. I'm thinking you cut the cable between the isolator switch and the actual charger. The cable from the isolator switch goes to the new meter 'supply' & the new meter 'load' gets connected to the wall charger.

I'm just not sure what happens to the earth as the new meter doesn't have an earth connector or terminal block. Either a joining block of some type, or run a separate earth cable from the isolator switch through to the wall charger & only deal with the supply L&N and feed L&N cores to the new meter (if that's legal)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely sounds like a job for a professional, I can change a plug but that's probably about the limit. I do recall getting some kind of metering device from British Gas when I opted for their smart energy tariff. There is a sender unit which clamps to the mains cable from the meter and a small monitor which displays energy usage, I'm not sure if it stores the data or just displays it in real time.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello Oddundog.

Sounds like you're having fun with your new car. I hope everything works out for you next week.

Abi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts