Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been reading over several sections of this forum in recent weeks - picking up some really useful information.

I currently drive a 64-Plate 1.4 Leon FR. I've had this car 18-months but have never really "fallen" for it. Historically I've had what some would describe as fun / "drivers" cars - a 500hp Nissan Skyline, mk5 Golf GTI, 2.5l Focus ST as examples. However, I couple of years ago I decided to get a bit more sensible - and found myself looking at SEATs - and ended up with the FR. It's a nice car - I get good MPG from it and it can be fun every now and then, but I've never really connected with it. As such I've been looking at replacing it and the more I've thought about it, and the more I've considered my day-to-day use of the car, I've realised/decided that an EV is a viable next step.

My commute to work is only around 5miles each way - I used to cycle regularly to work. Over recent years the cycling has curtailed (just undertaken at the gym) and is partly why I bought the more sensible SEAT. I also rarely do any long journeys (20 to 40 miles at the weekends maybe, but rarely much more). So I really do think an EV will fit my lifestyle well.

I'm only in the market for a used EV - and I'm not 100% sure on budget yet (I would guess maxing around £15k to £17k).

I started off looking at the 94ah i3 BEV's and then thought it might not quite be practical enough. So expanded my interests to the 40kwh Leaf. Then considering budget and the possibility of spending a bit less I also start looking at the 30kwh Leaf. Reading this forum has opened my eyes to the 30kwh Soul EV and (pushing the budget) the Ionic 28kwh.

I'm a bit unsure what way to go. I've yet to sample an EV so I need to try each as soon as I can, however performance across my list is varying considerably. I've no doubt that you'll advise me to "ignore" 0-to-60 times due to the max' torque available from an EV immediately, but 11+ seconds for some makes me think I might be uninspired (however I gather the 0-to-30 and 0-to-40 is impressive in most instances). That said, most of my driving is in town traffic so ultimate performance is not a "deal breaker" as such. It would be nice to have some fun now and then though...

I only cover around 100 to 120 miles per week, so most of these will fit my range requirements with a little charging in the week (all the local supermarkets are close by and have chargers and I will look at a home install at the earliest opportunity).

I do have a slight concern about home charging - as my mains comes in the front of my house and I park the opposite side of the house (a terrace). I do have a non-powered garage and the car could be parked in there, however currently I park in front of that. So having a home charger installed means running a power feed across the house (I'm guessing it would run from the front of the house up to the loft, across that and then back down the back of the house to the charger).

Android Auto has become more important to me. My SEAT has an older version for the Infotainment and as such cannot have Android Auto. SEAT charge what I think is a rip-off for a new Map/SD Card - and I gather the map is still likely to be 1+ year(s) out of date. So I want to ensure Android Auto is available so that map data is less of an issue. I also do not believe any in-built mapping gets close to Google Maps/Waze/etc.

I'll continue browsing the forum to pick up useful info - hopefully I can get to some dealers to have a closer look at some of the cars on my list to help me decide in which direction to go.

Cheers !

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,755 Posts
Looking at your car history, if you want anything fun and interesting that you are likely to “fall for”...get an i3. Android Auto could be an issue as I think only car play was possible as an option. Maybe there’s a 3rd party solution though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. An old friend of mine (who I've not seen for a long time now sadly) has had 3 i3's (60, 94 and now a 120) and loves it. It's his city car as he has another "play thing", however, he can't speak highly enough of the i3 - which is what got me interested in them.

They were my first option and I might be able to get away with it just about (practicality wise). It would be my only car but at a push I might be able to make the limited boot space work for me.

"ultimate" performance is not the be-all and end-all that it once was for me. I'd like something that "feels" fun but most day-to-day driving will be stuck in slow moving traffic or in 30/40 mph areas.

I do have some concerns regarding buying at a time when the tech' is moving on so fast. Even the cars I'm looking at - particularly the ranges, they have been significantly improved upon by the latest cars (just comparing the SOUL 30kwh to the 64kwh for example). I wonder how much interest there will be in the 30/40 kwh cars in 2 or 3 years. This is where I started thinking maybe get something like a 30kwh Leaf and run that for 2 years and then move on to something that is newer (such as an ID.3). I'm a bit unsure where to go at the moment - and I think some of that is lack of knowledge with the cars in my price range and knowing the market.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,755 Posts
Driving feel and a sense of fun without necessarily going too quickly...it has to be the i3 IMO, given the budget and all the available alternatives. Especially if there are any roundabouts on 40-50mph limit roads where you drive, the i3 is a lot of fun and can feel pretty quick. I also think the i3 will always be quite desirable as a used buy, even as technology advances.
I had a lightly tuned mk5 GTI a while back now, and the i3 was probably just as much fun.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
Have a look at the Fiat 500 too. Fun to drive, and great city car. Maybe a bit small compared to your Leon. 70/ 100 mile combined range in summer/ winter.

It's not in your budget yet, but it's 'only' £20k, so will easily be within reach when used examples start coming along.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
930 Posts
egolf? practical and fairly rapid off the line. Android auto included! Maybe not "interesting" though

Reactions: Soundlab

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PHEV's don't really appeal to me - I think I want to go all out Electric if I make the change.

Interestingly, I've stumbled across a Soul EV - 66 plate, with just shy of 48k miles on it for around £11,000. Mileage doesn't worry me too much - as my use will soon bring that down to something more reasonable. I kept thinking I'd only find a LEAF around that price bracket, but it's got me thinking. It'd potentially keep me going for a couple of years until the used market has matured a bit more and there are some more interesting options becoming available.

I read very good things about SOUL EV's - and it has Android Auto and all the "toys" you'd expect.

Hmmm....

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
811 Posts
Don't forget in your costings that the EV will cost little to run. Insurance likely to be the same but no road licence costs and very little for servicing. The MGs have 7 year warranty and there may be a few in your budget. The ZS will be fun to drive if you drive it quickly ... the rear suspension is a bit soft... but really you need to drive a few. The simplicity of the auto with no gears and silence makes a nonsense of noisy sports cars. Fast and tranquil milk floats or dodgem cars with brakes, you decide. And as for charging, given your mileage you might just be happy relying on a 3 pin socket with a decent extension lead for a while. I hope you join the club its the only way forward.
You might like to look at James of James and Kate on Youtube who has just done some servicing in Scotland.. they have some VLOGs on test drives too. They own a MG ZS EV and a Tesla I believe... also Tesla Bjorn gives some interesting views on EVs on Youtube. He had a lot of input in the software changes they made to the ZS EV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, James and Kate I've looked at loads of their reviews recently. I also have watched a lot of Bjorns videos. in-fact I've been trawling YouTube for information on lots of channels.

I'm actually finding myself drawn more and more to the Soul EV (the 33kwh model). It looks like I should be able to find something in my budget and they appear to have a LOT of tech' as standard - which appeals massively.

I think it's a toss-up between the i3 and the Soul EV - one being more fun to drive, the other loaded with tech and very efficient battery usage.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
79 Posts
Yeah, James and Kate I've looked at loads of their reviews recently. I also have watched a lot of Bjorns videos. in-fact I've been trawling YouTube for information on lots of channels.

I'm actually finding myself drawn more and more to the Soul EV (the 33kwh model). It looks like I should be able to find something in my budget and they appear to have a LOT of tech' as standard - which appeals massively.

I think it's a toss-up between the i3 and the Soul EV - one being more fun to drive, the other loaded with tech and very efficient battery usage.
If you decide to go with the Soul it may be worth your while having a word with Jonathan Porterfield at www.eco-cars.net .
He bought my Soul from an auction site for me and it was much cheaper than going to a dealer.
I am delighted with the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.