Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Absolutely convinced to go for an EV and bought a zoe signature (lease battery) on Saturday, paid deposit happy as larry - agreed 12900 cash and so deposit 500 paid. Brilliant! Then got called on Monday - they got the numbers wrong and so it was 14500 instead, the contract was "subject to agreement" as it was on the weekend. At which point, because of the residuals I walked away. GUTTED. Probably I could've made a fuss but as I was a bit doubtful about the residual of ownership with outright purchase I thought that extra pushed the deal away for me. What is really odd is that now I'm looking to get an "i" model but Renault UK have stopped quoting a GFV for the i models

Tried an i3 for 48hours - loved it! - went to tescos (other supermarkets are available) with baby in the car seat and DISASTER! - when parked close to another car - you are completely trapped by the suicide doors. And the boot is too small! Such a shame.

Then, stumbled upon a ridiculous deal on the b250e - 20,100 on finance with a 10.5 gfv at 3yrs, 8.5k gfv at 4yrs. So 5k deposit works out to 190 per month! I am so tempted! But the range, the range! Can I get daily 70 miles (normal commute) and occasionally 90miles (extended commute) out of it? If I "range extend" once per week (more in the winter) will I invalidate my warranty.

I am now totally convinced on EV but the only car short of a Tesla seems to be the ze40.

Anyway! Hello!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
30kw leaf perhaps?

Possibly an Ampera if you can find one, if your miles means you're pushing the battery limits.

Someone on here can probably get you a decent deal on the Zoe, also.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
B250e is a great deal. Some have done much better than the figures you quote and it could do the distances you suggest.

The only problem is the complete lack of rapid charging. It just won't cut it for the occasional longer trip unless you have suitable destination charging for each leg.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
30kWh Leaf would probably do the 90 miles okay and @Miles Roberts & @Alec have some cracking deals at the moment.

Hyundai Ioniq another option, just saw that Fleetdrive prices are getting sensible on PCH - £300 a month is nearly normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we have an ice for longer journeys so 100 is the goal and as long as 7hrs can do 0-100% that is also ok. Isn't the ionique 26kwh or something? AFAIK the b250e is 36 albeit restricted? Although inefficient surely the total kwh should mean something? . Very tempted by 200pcm for the 250e. Hopefully mb will get me one for a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
Yes B Class is a good deal and very nice car.

We regularly did 100+ miles with range mode engaged before charging. It was not cold though (we had from April to October) and we kept speed on motorway to below 70. Was easier to achieve when we used A roads.

If you plan to give car back at end of PCP you can use range mode as often as you like :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks proddick, my thoughts exactly as long as they don't check number of activations like launch control?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just seen applied leasing doing: 1800 + 300 + 200pcm x 23. Seems a good deal to me. Could save 100pcm in fuel.

2 years cost 6600 approx
2 years saved 2400 approx

Hmmm 4400 for a brand new merc for two years. Man if that range works out.....

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Well, we have an ice for longer journeys so 100 is the goal and as long as 7hrs can do 0-100% that is also ok. Isn't the ionique 26kwh or something? AFAIK the b250e is 36 albeit restricted? Although inefficient surely the total kwh should mean something? . Very tempted by 200pcm for the 250e. Hopefully mb will get me one for a couple of days.
Ioniq is 28kWh (although there is some disbelief it could be so small), however, cD is only 0.24 or something and the platform was built for electric - it's very slippery. Whereas the B-class is very much "sit up and beg" barn door aerodynamics and is essentially a conversion of an ICE platform so it needs that extra battery to push its way along. Look at the Leaf (30kWh, 27kWh usable) which will just about crack the 100 miles compared with the similar size battery Hyundai doing 150. Then remember that the Leaf was also designed for EV (just, um, badly).

But of course one is a Hyundai and one is a Mercedes, so if the badge on the front is important then there's not really any competition - the BMW i3 is well out of price range and I don't think the VW eGolf 35kWh is here yet (best of luck getting a VW dealer to acknowledge your presence anyway, maybe walk in asking about a Golf R and then switch when the salesman has started salivating :confused:).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CD is a bit misleading as a car with a lower cD can have hugely higher drag (not in the case of b250e vs leaf of course)

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
@proddick, did you decide what to do about the 2nd service? And does that lease deal look decent to you?
We got ours for seven months from Autohorn on York. We only needed a second car in UK for April to October in 2016. The rental cost included all maintenance and it went back due its first service.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
Compared to the Leaf or Ioniq, the B Class is very quick - Car and Driver tested it at 6.8 seconds to 60. I suspect Mercedes state slower because they don't want it to be faster than more expensive ICE models!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Same dilemma for me @Jnchayward - Zoe 40 or B250e are the only proper EVs in the game when our pcp ends in May (leaf too ugly and outdated for me), Merc would be nice but Renault much more practical with the faster charging so will be down to who has the best deal on at the time.
No way will I be buying any EV outright , yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Zoe is just not practical as you don't have a split backseat. If you want to go on holiday in the U.K and there are more than 2 of you you're stuck as not enough room in the boot for a decent amount of luggage and without a 60 40 backseat option it's just not right. Why this option was omitted when the new high spec version came out who knows - lost this customer for the price of a couple of extra hinges.

Test drove the IONiQ EV today and was very impressed - it was like a new Ampera to drive. Even my wife who was very keen on the Leaf Tekna said the IONIQ was better. 16 week wait though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well the 3 of us took a 200 mile trip to north wales last year and stayed for a week. We took 2 very large suitcases along with 2 smaller ones, a DJI Phantom in its case, multiple camera bags, duvet and pillows for a single bed, no issues. I can't agree its not practical!

And besides, the seat back takes up the same volume flat or upright, it has no effect on storage volume either way. Sure if you have a load that is 1.5M long, you'll struggle, a rarity though? I thought that was what estates were for!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just seen applied leasing doing: 1800 + 300 + 200pcm x 23. Seems a good deal to me. Could save 100pcm in fuel.

2 years cost 6600 approx
2 years saved 2400 approx

Hmmm 4400 for a brand new merc for two years. Man if that range works out.....
Ordered one on that deal two weeks ago! Being delivered Monday 10th will see how it goes.

·
Ecohound
1,302 Posts
What charger are you getting as IMHO 32A is the best option even though the Mercedes only takes 16A. It makes the best use of the grant and future proofs you for the next EV in two years time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi all,

Absolutely convinced to go for an EV and bought a zoe signature (lease battery) on Saturday, paid deposit happy as larry - agreed 12900 cash and so deposit 500 paid. Brilliant! Then got called on Monday - they got the numbers wrong and so it was 14500 instead, the contract was "subject to agreement" as it was on the weekend. At which point, because of the residuals I walked away. GUTTED. Probably I could've made a fuss but as I was a bit doubtful about the residual of ownership with outright purchase I thought that extra pushed the deal away for me. What is really odd is that now I'm looking to get an "i" model but Renault UK have stopped quoting a GFV for the i models

Tried an i3 for 48hours - loved it! - went to tescos (other supermarkets are available) with baby in the car seat and DISASTER! - when parked close to another car - you are completely trapped by the suicide doors. And the boot is too small! Such a shame.

Then, stumbled upon a ridiculous deal on the b250e - 20,100 on finance with a 10.5 gfv at 3yrs, 8.5k gfv at 4yrs. So 5k deposit works out to 190 per month! I am so tempted! But the range, the range! Can I get daily 70 miles (normal commute) and occasionally 90miles (extended commute) out of it? If I "range extend" once per week (more in the winter) will I invalidate my warranty.

I am now totally convinced on EV but the only car short of a Tesla seems to be the ze40.

Anyway! Hello!
Kia Soul will do the 70, and may be able to do the 90. Worth adding to the mix, even if you exclude it. Good to hear you are determined to make the switch. I was 100% going to get a Zoe but was let down by 3 local dealers, so had to compromise range. Friend has the Zoe and with 66% battery it still had 104 miles on range yesterday. It still does have the best range out of an affordable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts