Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, we are just about to take delivery of a Merc B250e, our first electric vehicle.
I don't want to clog up the forum with the same old questions so can anyone point me to an FAQ or beginners guide that will explain about the public charging schemes, different types of charge points, how they are paid for, apps, etc.
One specific question is does anyone know whether there is a way to park at Heathrow airport and have the car charged for you whilst on holiday? Or should I factor in extra time for my return journey to top up?

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Welcome.

There are lots of threads about charging here:

General Charging Discussion

This some what out of date post lists the charging networks:

List of charge networks (primarily UK)...

The B250e charging maxes out at 11kW, which makes some of the rapid chargers too expensive to use. Ecotricity just changed their tariff to £3.00 for 45minutes + 17p /kWh hmmm That works out to £4.40 for 8.25kWh after 45 minutes. I suppose that could be ok if you need it to get home.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello all, we are just about to take delivery of a Merc B250e, our first electric vehicle.
I don't want to clog up the forum with the same old questions so can anyone point me to an FAQ or beginners guide that will explain about the public charging schemes, different types of charge points, how they are paid for, apps, etc.
One specific question is does anyone know whether there is a way to park at Heathrow airport and have the car charged for you whilst on holiday? Or should I factor in extra time for my return journey to top up?
If you click on 'forums' you will find a list of topics, each topic has some pinned guides at the top with faq's and general guides. There are ones for 'General', 'Charging', 'Mercedes' etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
LHR has charge points in the short stay car parks.

Heathrow Airport Terminal 4 Short Stay Car Park TW6 3YD - electric car charge points

Heathrow Airport Terminal 3 Short Stay Car Park TW6 1QG - electric car charge points

Heathrow Airport T2 TW6 1AP - electric car charge points

Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 Short Stay Car Park TW6 2GA - electric car charge points

There are also 10 Source London charge points at Hounslow West

Hounslow West Underground NCP Car Park TW3 3DH - electric car charge points

Value offer a charging service but I don't think they cover Heathrow. Price could be an issue too,

Car Parking in London | Vallie

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Yeah - Vallie are only in Central London. They don't go west of Hyde Park !! Price is too expensive for holiday parking too.

·
Premium Member
9,862 Posts
Welcome. The B250e is a nice car - we had one for 7 month rental last year. We were tempted by a good deal on a used one, but didn't buy as OH only needed a car for around 11 weeks this year. We also didn't like cost of servicing. Hence we have C350e on rental at present!

·
Premium Member
9,862 Posts
LHR has charge points in the short stay
But unlike Gatwick you gave to pay the huge short term parking costs. Makes it very expensive, especially for charging a B Class (or standard Leaf) at 16A!

OP needs a 22kW post on route back home. Where are you heading back to @davenash

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
@davenash Welcome and congratulations on your B250e. You are right to ask about a beginners guide somewhere prominent on the site. Making it simple is the hard bit, especially about the choice of charging networks, cards, apps, etc. I hope someone, maybe one of the moderators, can tackle this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But unlike Gatwick you gave to pay the huge short term parking costs. Makes it very expensive, especially for charging a B Class (or standard Leaf) at 16A!

OP needs a 22kW post on route back home. Where are you heading back to @davenash
It will be back to south cambs - St. Neots area. I was thinking we may have to stop off to do a quick top up.
(what's the EV equivalent of "splash-and-dash"? :) )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@davenash Welcome and congratulations on your B250e. You are right to ask about a beginners guide somewhere prominent on the site. Making it simple is the hard bit, especially about the choice of charging networks, cards, apps, etc. I hope someone, maybe one of the moderators, can tackle this.
Thanks - yes just getting our heads round it now. We have acquired a Polar card and a Source London card, and signed up with a few others (ecotricity EH, er..what's the other one?)
But it's a shame there isn't more standardisation, ie. we are getting a bit demoralised seeing that we need to check that chargers are available, suitable for our car, not in use, not damaged, we have the right account/RFID/app etc. It makes planning even moderate journeys a bit tricky.

Turned up at a car park in Cambridge at the weekend and drew into the Polar slot, with app in hand, only to find that it needed an RFID card. Should have researched a bit more but it should be easier than this! Actually the lady at Polar customer services said that if I had applied online then she would have been able to see my application and allowed use of the charger even without the card. Worth knowing...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All
just joined and I'm ready to bring my new ev home (well, new to me) tomorrow and Its a Chevrolet volt and I've absolutely no Idea what the hell I'm doing. I don't even knowhow to drive the thing. So I guess it's eyes down for the first two days reading the manual. I know nothing about ev's except I need to save on fuel costs and general running costs. So it was off to the electric car shop. On reading this post what's all this about "cards" My commute is about 35 miles a day. If anyone has any pointers I would be truly grateful. cheers

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
@lezsez Welcome. You have the Volt so not really an issue for you. Charge at home and do your 35 miles a day commute. Having the petrol (gas -assuming your from Trumpton) backup will make life easy for you. You can take your time learning or not about charging away from home. Its us BEV owners that have to learn about all the faffing with cards, apps and rituals as quick as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@lezsez Welcome. You have the Volt so not really an issue for you. Charge at home and do your 35 miles a day commute. Having the petrol (gas -assuming your from Trumpton) backup will make life easy for you. You can take your time learning or not about charging away from home. Its us BEV owners that have to learn about all the faffing with cards, apps and rituals as quick as possible.
I'm really sorry for sounding such a prat but what's the B for in BEV? Also what's the score about this "home charger" that I hear is recommended? Some one said about British gas ? I'm only here for another twelve months then it's back home, would it be worth it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
BEV is a girl I knew at school, Big Bev actually. BEV is also battery electric vehicle or to some BEV means Bloody electric vehicles.

Home charger is a charger you can get installed at home that is quicker and more convenient to use than an electrical outlet/socket.

British Gas is a utility company in the UK that supplies/installs home chargers, sells electricity, sells gas, but not gas/petrol. Christ this is complicated!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts