Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering a 62 plate Leaf and have ordered my charging point but I have a 30.5 mile each way commute from J15 M1 Northampton to near Dunstable, will I be ok using a Gen 1 every day to do this trip as there seems to be a lot of conflicting reports, the dealer obviously says it will be fine but as 12k is going to be coming out of my savings I need to be sure that I am making the right decision.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I have a 30.5 mile each way commute from J15 M1 Northampton to near Dunstable, will I be ok using a Gen 1 every day to do this trip
I think a 61 mile trip is feasible in a Gen 1 Leaf if it hasn't done a huge mileage. What's the odo reading?

With regards to price... a friend paid just under £9K for Gen 1 Leaf with 5K miles on the clock last weekend. IMO £12K sounds a little expensive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi to you all, I wish I could find a 9k car but they all seem to be around the 12 mark, I don't mind the price if I'm getting a car that I won't regret at the first sign of cold weather, I may be able to charge at work which would obviously make a huge difference to my anxiety but if I can't I just need to be sure that doing 300 miles a week isn't lunacy

·
Registered
90 Posts
We have a gen 1 leaf and this would probably be ok but there are many "buts". It depends on terrain (how many and how steep are the hills?), how the car is driven (50-55mph), gentle acceleration and it would need 100% charge. I certainly couldn't guarantee success every day of the year.

Would it be possible to get an extended loan or hire one for a week, just to give it a try? It really should be ok but it's impossible to say for certain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is possible to get a Gen 2 car locally for an extended period but not a Gen 1, my commute will be very flat and I won't be doing over 60 really due to the time if day and the fact that I drive like an old man

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Gen 2 and would feel very comfortable with a 30.5 mile commute. I do that three times a week at present and usually have more than 20 left in the tank. Whether you would be able to do it in the winter in a Gen 1, I don't know. I suspect it would be fine March to November, but there are guys here who have run serious miles on a gen 1 who should be able to help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So today saw us buy a Gen 2 black Acenta on a 13 plate with 4000 miles on it, we will be taking delivery after our holiday on 18th April, the home charge point is being installed on the 17th and the Ecotricity card came today, are there any other cards that I need to register for? Very excited about joining the EV community.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I did my research and although I started off with budget I just couldn't be convinced that a Gen 1 would be right for my commute in the winter so we stretched the budget and went for it, I am now committed to the EV way and have switched to Ecotricity as well, thank to everyone for their help and advice.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I think you done the right thing by getting a gen 2 for your 60 mile day commute. Especially as your driving at motorway speeds. This would allo you to have the heating on with at least 15-25% remaining.

With a gen 1 this commute might not be possible if you have the heating on. Especially after a few years when you have put a few miles on the battery!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Also about the card question it depends where you live. I live in South Wales but have also applied for a source West card as I pop over to bristol a couple times a year. This card will allow me destination charging.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Well I did my research and although I started off with budget I just couldn't be convinced that a Gen 1 would be right for my commute in the winter so we stretched the budget and went for it, I am now committed to the EV way and have switched to Ecotricity as well, thank to everyone for their help and advice.
Congratulations on the order, I'm sure you won't regret it. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congratulations IanM71, I'm sure you won't regret it. We love driving our Leaf around and it's not just the smugness and conscience it's also comfortable and fun to drive. The Heat Pump in the Gen 2 is very good and giving almost instant heat in the car for a fraction of the charge used by the water heating in the Gen 1. I am noticing already as the weather is warming that my range is increasing to 90+, but that may be just because I'm learning to drive more frugally.
Enjoy your car!
If you want to take your car into London you may want to get a source London card. There are loads of charging points and free parking and no congestion charge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts