Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
MG 5 EV Exclusive
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Harry - not got that far yet! MG garage has pointed me to Rolec as their approved one. I've been looking at Podpoint as well.

A quick look at my incoming supply and fuse box shows an less than up to date situation and I only have a 60A main fuse so not sure on the implications really.
Then there seems to be a question of tethered or not - given I have to get a type 2 to type 2 cable anyway, I'm not sure why tethered would be preferred?

As I said - so much to learn!!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,974 Posts
Tethered is better as it saves having to dig out your cable.
A home 7kw charger needs about 30amps and if you sign up to Octopus Go's 4hour off peak tarrif, (5p/kwh from 00:30-04:30) it doesn't matter whether you have an electric shower and./or cooker assuming you'd not be using either during the night.

(I have a 60amp main fuse, electric shower and cooker and haven't blown it)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Untethered sometimes helps as you can often get a longer cable that way. Also lets you take it with you on hols for use at remote 7/77 kW chargepoints. Mine's untethered, sits in gge & can trail under gge door so is in effect tethered, until I want to travel far. Not so good for outdoor mounted EVSEs as you have to think about cable security.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,601 Posts
I went for untethered because of our charger location and neatness. Some of the tethered chargers have really good cable management solutions so are fine, we were being offered projectEV and that didn’t look like a neat option. There’s definitely appeal in not having to get the cable out and pack it back into the car every time.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
686 Posts
Definitely one of those 'pro's and cons' decisions that ultimately only you can make. No right or wrong answer. Many of the untethered ones are much neater installs but you might wish you had gone for tethered when you are trying to pack the cable away one morning before setting out, and the rain is banging down.

I have an Ohme, which is tethered. It's definitely not the prettiest thing but I like its functionality (well, when Kia stop breaking the API). When I first got it, I really didn't like how hard it was to get the cable to wind nicely without sticking out everywhere like Boris's hair. But with use, the cable is now starting to mould into a more regular predictable shape and I can now get it wound up pretty neat.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,377 Posts
Over the years many people went for the socket version and used a loose cable but eventually got totally fed up with the faff of handling that cable so left it permanently plugged in and bought a second cable for away use. Then had to cobble together some kind of security device for the one left at home. As has been said many times this is a personal choice issue but I have seen so many people change their minds later to create a tethered solution that I would suggest doing that in the first place needs to be seriously considered.

Of course, there is little data on the number of people who deliberately untether a unit and pay to have it converted to a socket only version. I suspect that not many do that though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts