Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

My name is Ryan and I am a lover of all things electric! I am just about to start my PhD in electrical propulsion systems in the UK and have been closely following all things EV and renewable for over 4 years now!

I have also just started a YouTube channel where I am excited to share some informative and technical videos on all things in sustainable tech, with a bias towards electric vehicles! I just posted a video on the science behind Tesla's million mile battery if anyone is interested!

I hope to have many great discussions with everyone in the future!

P.S. If anyone ever has a technical/engineering question regarding EV's I would love to talk about it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
434 Posts
P.S. If anyone ever has a technical/engineering question regarding EV's I would love to talk about it!
You asked for it! Right now a mammoth thread is developing with Hyundai...
The possible seed for this is the recent spontaneous burning of a few Hyundai EVs with unknown reasons. This thread pertains to a high-mileage user here in the UK how has shown a possible fault in the cooling system, one which is not replicated by Hyundai's test rig in Tilbury. This is down to how the cooling system is supposed to kick in during (fast) charging, and doesn't. Hyundai has done a global battery update after the car burnout incidents to try to ameliorate the problems. But, it is argued by people here that they haven't got to the root of the problem.

So one topic for you might be to look at temperature control and battery management, that is how the sweet spot for charging is maintained, or not!

Related to this is the complexity of doing updates to a car management system. Some people have reported that some updates haven't worked. So one question is what happens when an update fails and how it relates to other components. I have updated laptops, servers, routers most of my life. But building a car is more like an aeroplane: so many interdependent systems. Rolling that out globally and maintaining safety all the time.

Of course, if you read the thread you might spot other topics of interest to which you can speak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You asked for it! Right now a mammoth thread is developing with Hyundai...
The possible seed for this is the recent spontaneous burning of a few Hyundai EVs with unknown reasons. This thread pertains to a high-mileage user here in the UK how has shown a possible fault in the cooling system, one which is not replicated by Hyundai's test rig in Tilbury. This is down to how the cooling system is supposed to kick in during (fast) charging, and doesn't. Hyundai has done a global battery update after the car burnout incidents to try to ameliorate the problems. But, it is argued by people here that they haven't got to the root of the problem.

So one topic for you might be to look at temperature control and battery management, that is how the sweet spot for charging is maintained, or not!

Related to this is the complexity of doing updates to a car management system. Some people have reported that some updates haven't worked. So one question is what happens when an update fails and how it relates to other components. I have updated laptops, servers, routers most of my life. But building a car is more like an aeroplane: so many interdependent systems. Rolling that out globally and maintaining safety all the time.

Of course, if you read the thread you might spot other topics of interest to which you can speak.
This look very interesting! I am currently working on a research project that includes battery cooling, so hopefully I can find out something new from the available data! Thanks for the topic suggestion!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts