Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,837 Posts
Welcome. Congrats on the new car

There are a few things to consider when getting a charge point fitted. Firstly whether it's a straight forward installation. If it is, just choose one you like the look of and fits your budget. The installer will be able to sort it out for you. If it's a more complex install, for whatever reason, it's worth looking for a local independent installer as they're more likely to put the time in to get around any issues.

Unless you have any specific requirements like solar integration or working with a time of use electricity tariff like Octopus Agile, most of the charge points are much of a muchness.

·
Registered
MG5
459 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm getting a new nissan leaf 40kw can someone recommend a good 7kw home charger. Been looking at the pod point
Hi, if you are with Octopus they do a Commando type for £199 that are easy to install.

·
jim5452
451 Posts
One of the first thing to take into consideration is ---Do you have SOLAR and if so do you have BATTERY
If the answer is no then as stated above just a standard charger and one of the EV Tariffs to charge at low rates.
With SOLAR there is a more limited range in order take maximum use of SOLAR, you will need at least 4Kw of panels to justify the higher cost of the SMART charger, which include ANDERSEN, MYENERGI ZAPPI and a few lessr known makes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pod-Point based from others are good reliable unit offering timed charges as well (although not essential as Leaf has its own).
The Pod-Point App is also a useful one for public charging points, particularly at Tesco's & Lidl's.
There are a good number of options, some being more atheistically pleasing, smaller or offering additional controls to work on conjunction with Solar PV and Battery storage.

And, Welcome and well done on the new Leaf :)

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm getting a new nissan leaf 40kw can someone recommend a good 7kw home charger. Been looking at the pod point
Welcome, I'm sure you will enjoy your Leaf.
You can of course use the granny charger until your 7kw one has been installed.
Just monitor the socket it's plugged into for signs of it heating up - check once an hour for a few hours.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone I like the idea of the pod point as I don't have solar panels. Only problem I can see is the energy monitor clamp my consumer unit is about 25m from the garage.
Much appreciated
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts