Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just joined. I am taking delivery of an Issac blue gte advance march 2018 to replace my current gtd, So my dilemma is which home charger to go for, the options by the 2 suppliers I have been given are a Rolec vs a mini EO also what's the difference between tethered and not? Both units are roughly the price £1k all in.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Tethered has a cable already attached, not, doesn't.
I know someone with a Rolec which clunks intermittently so if its somewhere that would annoy you perhaps the mini?

Are you not eligible for the charger grant?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. After doing some digging it seems t hat tethered is more user friendly and in years to come can changed/converted if required. Yes I am eligible for the grant, guy just said to get a couple of quotations before committing.

The mini looks more compact and simple, where as the Rolec looks a lot bigger and has some interesting lights etc. Don't think the clunk would be an. Issue as it will be fitted to the garage outside.

Many thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Thanks. After doing some digging it seems t hat tethered is more user friendly and in years to come can changed/converted if required. Yes I am eligible for the grant, guy just said to get a couple of quotations before committing.

The mini looks more compact and simple, where as the Rolec looks a lot bigger and has some interesting lights etc. Don't think the clunk would be an. Issue as it will be fitted to the garage outside.

Many thanks for the guidance.
I was going for the mini but the company that were quoting me took an age and then the chargedEV £99 offer came along so i went for that very quick and easy quote process. That is untethered I dont know how much a tethered is. And it hasnt been fitted yet I"m waiting for them to contact me with a date I have a feeling what with the popularity of that they may get backed up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frustrating stuff! Well I hope you get it fitted soon. I have asked for a quote on tethered basis for the Rolec. I think maybe some visual colour guide when charging is happening and when it's not might not be a bad call! The EO mini just has 1 tiny led indicator.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
People do go on about the Rolec clunk which puzzles me a bit. Sure it makes a noise when it engages. But it's only once. And it's just a loud click really. Quite why it even needs a comment beats me.

The debate over tethered or not is just down to personal choice and budget. With un-tethered you will need a suitable cable for sure. With tethered you have a choice to own a second cable, or not, depending upon your away charging needs.

Many prefer to use tethered because of its simplicity. Others prefer to keep the wall unit clutter free and opt for just the socket there. But then daily have to go through the boot to wall uncoil, and then recoil and store again routine. Usually including a properly annoying fight to get it back into its case. And then glove changes due to it being wet and dirty. Or they eventually get fed up of that and leave the loose cable plugged into the wall unit permanently and devise some form of security using a padlock. Then buy a second cable.

On balance I prefer a tethered unit and separate cable in its own case in the boot for when needed. Either way, the unit is easy to upgrade if a change of plug is needed every three years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers hitstirrer, my way of thinking is I have the tethered unit as you say without faffing about its cables, gte comes with cables which I am able to use at a multi storey where the car will be parked all day, so my commute about 25 miles currently each way the elec should just about get me there then charge and get back on newly charged range. Quite excited about it all!

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Untethered chargers usually do NOT supply the EVSE->Car cable with them! So that's an extra expense to check up on. That said, I went with untethered, as my Rolec fits inside gge so no issues with appearance/theft, also when I travel away for a few days, I simply unclip the cable & take it with me for the rare times I just might find a multistorey car park with freebie chargers in. Also, my car has old-fashioned type 1 socket, so if my next one's a type-2 socket, or my wife gets a car with type-2 socket, I can swap cables trivially easily.

EO .vs. Rolec - no experience of EO at all. The internal parts in a Rolec can all be changed/repaired by a competent diy-er, parts are off-the-shelf replacements, including the "brains" bit which is about £75 (using a non-Rolec item). No idea what the Eo has inside it. Some chargers have a custom circuit board, so you're tied to that mfr for repairs, = unknown costs once out of warranty. I'm happy knowing I can (and have, as I want to "play" with my software charging strategy) do everything to my Rolec myself. Had my Rolec 2 years now, it's a 32A unit providing max 14A to my car, so had no issues about dodgy RCBOs on the early Rolecs, though I do have a quality replacement waiting to be fitted in an instant if necc.

p.s. it's worth going for a 32A unit, even if your GTe can only charge at a slower rate, like mine does. Not much extra to pay, and v likely to be a better match for next-gen of EVs.

Reactions: Benhchap
1 - 9 of 9 Posts