Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Hello fellow Kona~ers

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kevpuk 
#1 ·
We have just joined the ranks with a 70-reg Premium SE, and are now just over a week in to being EV users - changed (my wife's) 18-reg GLC to something a little different!

So far, so good - really liking the car. We have a PodPoint installation for next week, but otherwise have ready access to local Tesco (free) charge point, although really not driving much at the moment! The car is really fun to drive - neither of us had ever driven an electric car previously, so quickly getting used to the feel etc.

I like the infotainment, which is a real step up from the woeful setup we had on the Mercedes (sure the newer MBUX is better?) and the overall cabin experience is positive. Of course, the Premium SE has a nice set of goodies, and apart from having to learn to open and close the boot myself, and losing 360 cameras, the only thing I think the car misses is a sunroof. Still, the urgency around town is brilliant, the quietness/smoothness really something, and I think we made a great choice (didn't test drive, thought it would all work out!).

Question is, how long can I resist the electric temptation on my car.........

#3 ·
Hi kevpuk. There is one particular aspect of driving the Kona which some drivers have found very alarming.

You may be aware of the LKA system which uses the front camera to detect lane markings and applies steering correction to keep the car in lane. It's a neat idea but in some situations where the lane markings are not clear or don't exist, it's possible for the steering to do its own thing with abrupt unexpected twitching and change of steering direction.
The User manual describes the LKA in detail, I believe in chapter 5 , and explains the situations which might give anomalous behaviour.

Some drivers prefer to disable the function at the start of every journey - it always defaults to ON every time the car is started up.

#6 ·
We have a PodPoint installation for next week,
If you are going the higher 32amp model, don't let the installer leave until you see 7.1 / 7.2 kw on the dash display
The unit defaults to 6.6 until registration setup is completed.
Took me several weeks in to/fro support until they "installed a remote sw upgrade" and twing it then drank at the expected full rate.

#7 ·
If you are going the higher 32amp model, don't let the installer leave until you see 7.1 / 7.2 kw on the dash display
The unit defaults to 6.6 until registration setup is completed.
Took me several weeks in to/fro support until they "installed a remote sw upgrade" and twing it then drank at the expected full rate.
Interesting, thanks.... Actually, have no idea what the specs are - how can I know whether 32A or not? Certainly is supposed to be 7kw, so I would expect to see that output. Recently had our consumer unit replaced and upgraded with all RCBO setup, as well as surge protection, so there should be ample 'modern~ness' to connect in to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.