Registered
1,844 Posts
Welcome,
Hope you come to love it as much as we do
when u say high milage. ...?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi everyone. Just bought a high-mileage MY2013 Vauxhall Ampera. Spent many hours browsing this forum before deciding to do the deal. Looks like a great crowd here. Look forward to learning and contributing to the forum. Regards, Ian
You'll love it! Lots of us owners and ex owners on this forum, you'll find answers to anything that comes up!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Just one question (for now)... Why does it keep switching from 10Amp back to 6Amp charging mode when I use the granny charger? Not had a wall charger fitted yet, so am relying on getting a full charge on low rate overnight electricity. Should it stay set at 10A, or will it always switch back to 6A by default for safety reasons perhaps?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,095 Posts
Yes, MY13 will default to 6A. My recommendation is to always use 6A if you have time to wait for it to charge, which is around 10hrs from flat. Plugs and sockets stay nice and cool at that current rating, but can get excessively hot, and do burn out if there is a weakened/worn socket.

The problem this time of year is that you can't preheat very well on a mains plug, so will use up a third of the battery warming the car up and keeping it warm. What is your daily mileage/routine?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mid charge or default at start?
Default from start. I set the charging period (following advice on this forum) for 00:30 to 07:30 for off peak charging, and then set the mode to 10A, but when I checked it during the charge it was showing 6A, so I changed it back. Next day, the same happened, so I guess it defaults back to 6A unless overridden each time when on the granny charger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, MY13 will default to 6A. My recommendation is to always use 6A if you have time to wait for it to charge, which is around 10hrs from flat. Plugs and sockets stay nice and cool at that current rating, but can get excessively hot, and do burn out if there is a weakened/worn socket.

The problem this time of year is that you can't preheat very well on a mains plug, so will use up a third of the battery warming the car up and keeping it warm. What is your daily mileage/routine?
I checked it after a couple of hours on a 10A charge and everything was cool to the touch except the 13A plug on the granny charger that was very slightly warm, and I guess that's the fuse inside the plug heating up at close to its breakage current, so I'm happy to use 10A and get a full charge done in the 7 hour off-peak electricity period.

As for the pre-heating, yes - it's cold here, but no - I've not tried that feature yet. Still reading the manual TBH. I've just tended to hop in and set the climate to 20 and heat the seats to level 2. Sure, it's a bit parky for a few minutes, but the car makes up for it in so many ways!

I'm planning on getting a wall charger asap, but can't get one fitted until I know where it's going, and I'm note 100% sure yet - so making do with the "granny" (why is it called that) charger for the time being.

BTW, I'm getting about 31 to 33 miles on a charge at the moment - and I'm hoping that will improve in warmer weather.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I'm planning on getting a wall charger asap, but can't get one fitted until I know where it's going, and I'm note 100% sure yet - so making do with the "granny" (why is it called that) charger for the time being.
Welcome. Certainly worth getting a wall charger as does charge quicker, more convenient and potentially safer.

The nickname for the portable charger came about as you might use it when visiting Granny! Hopefully you pay her for the 'leccy as she is a pensioner ;)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
462 Posts
Strange as my granny charger defaults to 10A, then requires one push on the black button to change it to 6A. Mine has the black cable

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Strange as my granny charger defaults to 10A, then requires one push on the black button to change it to 6A. Mine has the black cable
That is the MY12 version. There are no buttons on MY13 it is all done through the car interface. I suspect they changed default to 6A after some EV charging fires in USA (no Volts AFAIK). Liability issue...

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
462 Posts
Ah that makes sense. I have checked the plug after the car has been charging on 10A for a few hours and it's not even warm so can sleep easier!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts