Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I’m a convert to EVs following a change of job meaning 2x35mi drives per day. Current car is just not suited as a commuter (Ford Tourneo Connect Diesel which does manage>50mpg) and so looking to swap asap. Partly to save £100-150pcm fuel, partly to have something more pleasant to drive, partly to be a bit less bad to the environment.

I’m working out the numbers but I’m quite taken by the Kia e Niro after test driving one.

I’d consider a 2nd hand Leaf as a stopgap until I can get one. However I may just get something smaller and ICE powered until I can get the EV I want.

Any useful suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Welcome. You'll get plenty of suggestions here, but you'll need to give us more info plz! E.g. - what's the max trip length you do? Any long holiday trips, and if so, would you be prepared to hire a petrol car for those, or take train & hire? Can you charge at place of work, or not? Would your boss require you to suddenly drive a long trip to see a customer? What part of the country are you in - E.g. Wales, Norfolk & other places have a shortage of chargers, other places have maybe more than their fair share! What's your budget? Looking for new/newish with mfr warranty, or prefer to go for cheaper 2nd/3rd hand higher mileage cars? How many people to fit in car? What sort of luggage capacity are you looking for - huge, with kids/holiday kit & bicycles/surfboards ..., or just you + partner? Do you need/want to tow anything - from small trailer to caravan?

So many questions - but necessary to not drop you in the proverbial! So many choices - pure EV = super-clean, but might be range limited; hybrid/range-extender has greater range, but will burn some petrol//diesel & cost more for those miles, etc etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I wasn’t necessarily asking for specifics, yet.

Journey patterns are:
Daily 35mi commute each way, mostly motorway. Typically 40-50mins. No charger at work (I have asked!)
A few additional short trips (<15mi) in the week

Visits to family ~100mi each way. Max monthly. With spouse and dog.
Trips away ~140mi each way max every 2 months. With spouse and dog.

The e Niro seems to fit the bill, and I like it as a car. I.m of the mindset that hybrids are a compromise. With models coming out that more than meet my requirements that compromise is no longer a serious contender.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,525 Posts
Hi there, and welcome! It sounds like an EV would be perfect for you, and it'd be great if you could get in to one ASAP rather than continue with the current diesel or move to any other ICE car.

A few of us on here who are making the first foray into EVs have recently got cars from a fairly young company called Evezy who do short-term leasing / subscriptions. Something like this might be worth considering as you can see how you get on with an EV, and try out different models without having to commit (it's a rolling monthly lease). My own journey profile is almost exactly the same as yours, and we are also just a two person household. I've got the updated BMW i3 120Ah (38kWh battery) and it's utterly brilliant (only had it a week mind!). We love it, and I can see it working perfectly for our usage, but the beauty is that if for some reason we decide it doesn't work out and we need to wait for longer range models to become more readily available then we can simple return the car without penalty.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,525 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I’d agree with your assessment, the e-Niro would be the best car for you however at the moment the waiting list is about a year! Other cars like the xc40 electric or the Tesla model Y

In the meantime a leaf 30kwh would also just about fit the bill (it’ll likely need charging 1-2 times for your longer drives) and it wouldn’t depreciate too much in the year waiting for the Niro order to arrive, or even a Zoe ZE if you have a smaller dog. A leaf 40 is also another option that would just about do what you’re asking but at the price point they’re at is personally pay the extra and get the 200+ mile cars

Another option to filling the gap between now and the longer range cars would be to go with evezy and hire

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
You're quite right about hybrids & (to an extent) range-extenders being a compromise. i3 Rex would do your commute easily, even in winter I think, and the petrol's there as a get-you-out-of-jail card if the longer trips hit some disaster, like snow blocking the motorway service station & putting it completely out of use (as happened at Cherwell Valley services last winter at one point). The next-best range wise is probably Ampera, but you'll only get around 35-40 miles in winter, so not a great match. Advantage is it's a true EV to drive, and you can get a decent one for about 10-13k, so it's a cheap intro if you're on a budget. Disadvantage is it's a low car, and boot space is limited so might not suit your dog (though there are deffo Amperas out there with dog guards fitted, so it's feasible).

But if your budget can stretch to a full EV, I'd say go for it!

I've got my eye on the next gen of Ioniq, should be a 39 kWh one soon with around 160 mile winter range, which would cover my own longest-regular trips of 160 miles. It's a sleek hatchback shape which helps make it super-efficient aerodynamically. The current 29 kWh model holds the best miles-per-kwh performance out there I believe - people are getting around 5 miles per kWh sort of range. It should do your long trips in summer ok, but winter would be a struggle tbh. I'm hoping the next one will be similarly efficient, and also that the cost wll be competitive as it should manage with a lot fewer cells in than say a SUV-shape car (Niro, Kona) for the equivalent range. Fewer cells should also make it lighter, and that in turn reduces power used to accelerate it, power used at constant speed for tyre drag, nimbler handling, ... and so on.

As you see I'm not a fan of the tall, brick-like Suv shapes we're getting offered, this is a result of storing a lot of battery as a flat slab under all the seats, but if that style suits you, go for it, as you do get a lot more cells into a car that way! Seems 39 kWh is the most that the Ioniq engineers can fit into their layout, and that's a compromise I happen to prefer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brand attributes aside I like the BMW. The rear/boot space is a bit of a non starter though.

The Leaf is interesting, but 30kWh could be marginal on range for day to day. I’ve no problem charging on the longer trips.

I’ll look at the short term leasing, but I’d rather put money into my car if you get my drift so running an older ICE car for a few months while I save up makes more sense to me. I’m looking at cars like Honda Jazz which are big enough but also cheap to run.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Brand attributes aside I like the BMW. The rear/boot space is a bit of a non starter though.

The Leaf is interesting, but 30kWh could be marginal on range for day to day. I’ve no problem charging on the longer trips.

I’ll look at the short term leasing, but I’d rather put money into my car if you get my drift so running an older ICE car for a few months while I save up makes more sense to me. I’m looking at cars like Honda Jazz which are big enough but also cheap to run.
The 30kwh leaf can do over 100 real world miles, strictly speaking it should be fine with your daily commute even in winter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So been in a diseasel for last year. Lockdown has changed things a little: Work now looking like it'll be one day on the office per week max.

I still like the Kia/Hyundai, but my budget and patience are unlikely to stretch that far! I'm now very interested in the MG ZS EV. It would definitely meet my needs and I can live with the badge ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just been for a test drive. Coronavirus precautions meant I got a proper play.

It’s a good car. Possibly a bit more roll than Kia but not bad as some of the reviews seem to think. A tiny bit crashy on rough surfaces, but again not as bad as reviewers make out.

Fit and finish pretty good. The one I tried didn’t seem to be latest software, so a few unexpected bongs and the display not entirely helpful.
I like the power dial and the KERS switch made me smile.

Ordering one as soon as I can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I am. Apart from wishing the charging control was a bit cleverer (I knew it was a bit basic) I’m loving it.

Scrubs up well with just a wash and seal. Went for a drive to test out the driver aids and they all seem to work well. The infotainment is better than I’d been led to expect too. I even managed 3.8mi/kWh which I’m happy with as a noob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts