Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Tom here from Essex, UK. E-Up! owner, eco car nut, work in the automotive industry.

Looking forward to getting involved here and I can be found on Twitter as @code_ed tweeting about the Up!

Cheers,

Tom

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the welcome! The car is absolutely fab thanks. Light and nimble and exceptionally well screwed together (I believe they are almost hand built in the factory - mine is one of the first RHD versions). Range is just under 100 miles - I'd say I get 75-80 miles with A/C on, and 90 with it off in eco mode. Power is incredible when you floor it - it will spin the wheels up in the dry quite easily, even when on the move!

I'm lucky in that I can charge at work - and at my local Gym so I hardly ever charge at home. So far I have done 1500miles in it and put about £2.50 of electric at home!

Only problems so far are - my partner keeps stealing it(!) and the stock headlights were pretty rubbish. I upgraded the latter with some 100% brighter Ring units, which are nice, if a little blue for my liking. Still working on upgrading the former!!! :D

·
882 Posts
I so want to give a Yorkshire-style greeting but I'm sure the joke will wear thin all too soon...
So instead I'll just say 'welcome aboard!'

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi toms and welcome. Always liked the UP. My mum has the UP White and it's fun to drive, was hoping they'd make the GT but it seems to have been canned for some reason.

Was looking on autotrader the other day and noticed that there's already quite a few of the E-UPs available. Maybe ex-press cars or something?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Was looking on autotrader the other day and noticed that there's already quite a few of the E-UPs available. Maybe ex-press cars or something?
Cheapest was only just over £14k with almost no miles on it. Not a bad price.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I thought the same, good price for a very nice small car.
But about twice the price of a new Mii 1.0 litre SE, which is capable of 60 mpg, which can be haggled down to just over £7k. Which buys a lot of petrol and servicing...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Apples and oranges...
The Mini ONE is actually a 1.2L and starts at £13,750 new unless I missed something?
Does claim 60mpg though.

Compared to the 1.0 UP!...
From this: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/Long-term-tests/VW-Up-10-75PS-2013-long-term-test-review/
Selected biased highlights...
" I won’t miss the gutlessness of 74bhp at a naughty, rorty 6000rpm."
"Though the e-Up (no Yorkshire jokes, I’ve heard them all) weighs a titanic 200kg more than a petrol one thanks to its battery pack, it’s much faster. You get twice the torque (!), and having enough poke to illuminate the long-dormant traction control light is guilt-free fun. "
" VW claims it’ll do 60mpg in a lab, and on paper, a 999cc triple tugging 935kg of hatch is a more-or-less teetotal combination. Yet off the paper and on the road, my best result has been 48.7mpg, and the more representative overall average about 44. "

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Apples and oranges...
The Mini ONE is actually a 1.2L and starts at £13,750 new unless I missed something?
Does claim 60mpg though.
Did you misread "Mii" as "Mini"? (The Mii being the SEAT Version of the Up)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Did you misread "Mii" as "Mini"? (The Mii being the SEAT Version of the Up)
I thought it was a typo!
Never heard of it before :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Skoda and Seat are owned by VW
The Mii and CitiGo are rebranded Ups
The Leon and Octavia are basically Golfs.
I knew about VAG group but obviously not being paying attention to the UP siblings.
I'm now waiting for them to be sued by Nintendo.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Coming soon to this forum: How exactly does one teach one's grandmother to suck eggs? :p:D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm never sure why a grandmother (or anyone for that matter) would do such a thing? So... ;) :p
Wikipedia, that oh-so-trustworthy resource :rolleyes: says " "Egg sucking" removed the egg contents while preserving the shell intact. Two small holes were made on the ends of the egg, and the contents sucked out. The shell could then be painted or otherwise used for decorative purposes without it becoming rotten and smelling bad."

However, there do appear to be some less polite possible explanations (which have no place on this forum, obviously!)

Reactions: Paul

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi again folks.

Glad I'm SpeakEV's first E-Upper! We have a Citigo too in the family and I would go as far (having driven both now extensively) as to say that from behind the wheel they couldn't be any more different! The EV is significantly faster, smoother, quieter, better handling, riding and with better brakes! That said, the petrol car is a lot of fun to drive and hustle around.

Regarding the price difference, yes, it's an awful lot more for the EV, but you get tons more kit, both advertised, and not (things like rear wheel arch liners, cooler LED lights and of course a rather nice app for your phone).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts