Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I’m James, I’ve been an EV owner now for a month now (Peugeot e208 GT) so thought I’d pop by to say hello and share my experiences so far.

What made me switch to an EV?
For the past ten years I’ve commuted to work almost entirely by train (bar the odd journey where my shift times didn’t allow it) but having moved into a new job where the early shifts start before the first train, and late shifts finish after the last train I was finding myself left with a steep fuel bill. At 50 miles each way, five days a week (sometimes six) I was pushing £300 on fuel per month, if not more once non-commuting driving was considered. My new workplace had two EV chargers which were seemingly not used by anyone, so it felt like I was being taunted by them every time I filled up.

After the first month I’m absolutely delighted with the car, I’ve been getting a lot closer to the real-life range than I expected (my commute is almost entirely A road or M1, so I had set my expectations low), my fuel bill has been cut drastically and it’s just an all-round lovely car to drive.

The only issue I’ve had so far is I’m still waiting on a home charger installation date from PodPoint six weeks after placing the indoor which includes some non-standard groundworks first but fortunately it hasn’t hindered my charging experiences, I had initially dreaded being reliant on public charging but I had no reason to worry it seems.

It’s been very interesting to read through the wealth of knowledge people have on here and I’ve already picked up lots of handy info whilst lurking so thank you all!

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
MG5
439 Posts
Hi and welcome,
Good to hear you can charge at work for free. Do you know why the charge points were put in if they are not used?
Is your pod point not going to be close to your property or just the incoming cable needing to be unlooped?
Have you been on any longer than range trips?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 1st Edition https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
823 Posts
Hello!

I’m James, I’ve been an EV owner now for a month now (Peugeot e208 GT) so thought I’d pop by to say hello and share my experiences so far.

What made me switch to an EV?
For the past ten years I’ve commuted to work almost entirely by train (bar the odd journey where my shift times didn’t allow it) but having moved into a new job where the early shifts start before the first train, and late shifts finish after the last train I was finding myself left with a steep fuel bill. At 50 miles each way, five days a week (sometimes six) I was pushing £300 on fuel per month, if not more once non-commuting driving was considered. My new workplace had two EV chargers which were seemingly not used by anyone, so it felt like I was being taunted by them every time I filled up.

After the first month I’m absolutely delighted with the car, I’ve been getting a lot closer to the real-life range than I expected (my commute is almost entirely A road or M1, so I had set my expectations low), my fuel bill has been cut drastically and it’s just an all-round lovely car to drive.

The only issue I’ve had so far is I’m still waiting on a home charger installation date from PodPoint six weeks after placing the indoor which includes some non-standard groundworks first but fortunately it hasn’t hindered my charging experiences, I had initially dreaded being reliant on public charging but I had no reason to worry it seems.

It’s been very interesting to read through the wealth of knowledge people have on here and I’ve already picked up lots of handy info whilst lurking so thank you all!

View attachment 151516
Welcome to the wonderful world of EV driving, looks like MK Stadium in the background.. Think they're going to need more charging spaces ASAP, last time I went they were all taken & very busy..
When you say you're getting better range than expected, what were you expecting & what are you actually getting?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, I have GT Line and am 20,000 miles in. This is my fifth EV and I am very impressed with it so far. Faultless thus far and the rapid charging speed and thermal battery management make long trips a breeze. Build quality is good too, nice fit and finish. Downsides are the app is poor and the reversing camera has a poor quality image and the dealer network is generally below par (coming from a Kia Soul). Enjoy your new machine!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts