Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Having owned hybrids for ten years, (2 Prius's and a Lexus ct200) I thought it was time to take the plunge into the world of plug in EV's. As I'm retired, Most of my mileage is short around town trips, but I wanted to have the capacity for occasional longer journeys, so after considering all the options, I decided on a Vauxhall Ampera Electron in black with red trim. The list price was way over my budget but with the government grant and substantial discount through the Vauxhall Associate Partner scheme the price came down to a more affordable level.

Picking up the car in a few days. The dealer is 50 miles away, so driving home should be a good test of battery range.

I live in Bury, Lancashire. Quite a few charging stations have appeared recently in local public parks, but I've never seen them being used. Maybe I will be the first!

Geoff

·
Registered
454 Posts
HiYa!

Glad to have another Greater Manchester 'user'. Got my Electron in May 2012 from Arnold Clarke near to Old Trafford Ground.
The charge posts you see are probably www.ev.tfgm.com and you will need to join up and buy a type 2 cable to connect. In practice it is unlikely you would public charge so close to home. Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike,
I have been wondering if it's worth buying a type2 cable. A bit pricey from Vauxhall but having trawled the net I see its possible to get them around £130. Most of my journeys are short local ones, so as you say it's unlikely I'll use the local public chargers. I have a trip to Devon in a few weeks so I guess it's going to a mainly petrol journey!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Too pricey from Vauxhall, got mine via link to ZCW from this forum but they shut up shop imminently. Unlikely to actually get moneys worth but nice to have for the odd occasion away from home and with time to charge fully. Thinking 'destination charging' but would have to charge 200 times to pay for itself.
I have made several trips to Southampton 40 - 50 miles on battery then the rest and back on two full tanks, (with a 2 week cruise in between) :)
If you are three pin charging away from home consider only using the two green light charge option as several places I have tried couldn't sustain the demand and you only find out too late.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
Hi Geoff
I got mine from ZCW, so hurry as a few days ago they did say they had their last stock.
As a Volt owner I figured that I may never get my moneys worth but I won't sell it with the car so it does not matter.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very enjoyable first drive today on the 50 mile trip home from the dealer. I was hoping it would be fully charged but was only only showing 35 miles. I think we managed about 30 before the petrol engine kicked in. The outside temp was around 1 degree over the Pennines and a message popped up saying engine running due to low temp.

Everything was going ok, until the climate system went berserk. We had set it to Auto and 22 degrees and it worked ok for most of the journey, then the fan suddenly boosted to max speed and the temp went up and up. I was concentrating on driving whilst my wife was frantically pressing every button in sight to drop the temp. She set it to minimum 16 degrees I think, but it was still getting hotter and hotter! Eventually stopped it by switching fan to off position. Set it back to auto again, but it seemed very erratic for the rest of the journey. Hopefully it's just a teething problem.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,442 Posts
35 mile would be about right in this weather and that temperature. When fully charged my Ampera is showing a range of between 31 - 33, more often than not at the 31 end. When the summer comes it will improve. I managed to get 21 miles from a part charge that took it up to 16 miles range but that was with the heating down low, the heated seat on at 1 and driving around 35 - 40 unless someone caught up with me then I upped it to 50 until they passed. Hope the heating system settles down but I do notice that even when set the cabin temperature seems to vary quite a bit or it feels that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts