Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Having just joined the forum and being unsure what to expect, I thought I’d say hello. Having been an owner of hybrid cars over the past few years and currently driving a Lexus IS 300h, I’ve made the plunge into the EV world having put in an order for a Nissan Leaf Tekna 40kwh. The array of choices for a home charger is mind boggling. I’ll have a look around this site for information and advise. Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on 7kw home charging units in terms of the most reliable brands.

Many thanks,

Sri

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Sri and welcome. I'm in Cheshire and have just started driving the Accenta model of the new Leaf. I've got Pod Point installing the home charger next week, so I can't speak for it actually working yet, but the customer service up to now in them organising it and answering any questions I've had has been fantastic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your response. I’ve contacted Pod point and Rolec, who got back to me with lead times of 10 days and 2 weeks respectively. Still waiting for a response from Chargemaster after 2 weeks. Hope to be able to have the unit installed prior to the delivery of the car. I have to admit having test drives the Leaf for 2days, I cannot think of going back to ICE cars.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would recommend Pod Point. I found the ordering and installation very professional . The installation engineer was first class.
Also the PodPoint 7Kw charger is well designed and doesn't look out of place on the front of the house.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would recommend Pod Point. I found the ordering and installation very professional . The installation engineer was first class.
Also the PodPoint 7Kw charger is well designed and doesn't look out of place on the front of the house.
Thanks for that. Hope to be able to install it outside on the garage wall. I presume rain should not be an issue as long as one is being sensible. I might well call Pod Point after the weekend as it does appear the lead times are longer than quoted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you very much for your response. I’ve contacted Pod point and Rolec, who got back to me with lead times of 10 days and 2 weeks respectively. Still waiting for a response from Chargemaster after 2 weeks. Hope to be able to have the unit installed prior to the delivery of the car. I have to admit having test drives the Leaf for 2days, I cannot think of going back to ICE cars.
I was exactly the same after I test drove it. Fantastic fun to drive. Hope your installation goes well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hello,

Having just joined the forum and being unsure what to expect, I thought I’d say hello. Having been an owner of hybrid cars over the past few years and currently driving a Lexus IS 300h, I’ve made the plunge into the EV world having put in an order for a Nissan Leaf Tekna 40kwh. The array of choices for a home charger is mind boggling. I’ll have a look around this site for information and advise. Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on 7kw home charging units in terms of the most reliable brands.

Many thanks,

Sri
Welcome. I had a BMW hybrid for a year or so and am now waiting on a Tekna 40kwh. I have a Rolec charger which has worked well but I’ve no basis to make a comparison with other makes. Hope you enjoy your Tekna.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My apologies for a silly question. The installer was asking me what type of a charger I needed. He reckons it’s a type 1 charger for the Leaf but I was under the impression that it’s a type 2 connector for the new 2018 40 kWh Leaf. I’d be grateful for any clarification. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
My apologies for a silly question. The installer was asking me what type of a charger I needed. He reckons it’s a type 1 charger for the Leaf but I was under the impression that it’s a type 2 connector for the new 2018 40 kWh Leaf. I’d be grateful for any clarification. Many thanks.
You are correct. The old leaf is type 1, the new one type 2. Installer probably hasn't realised they've changed.
This is assuming you've gone tethered. A socket charger will always be type 2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. This is all very new to me. I’ll let the installer know. Got a quote for £300 plus VAT all inclusive for a EO tethered home charger.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Thanks for the information. This is all very new to me. I’ll let the installer know. Got a quote for £300 plus VAT all inclusive for a EO tethered home charger.
Aren't the dealers doing free chargers any more?
Seems to be one of things that varies from time to time.
These guys are £200 for a tethered. £99 for socket.
Apply for a Charger Now | EV Chargepoints from £129
A bit of googling may be worthwhile for other installers.
£360 seems a bit steep to me.

·
www.zeroevltd.co.uk
64 Posts
You are correct. The old leaf is type 1, the new one type 2. Installer probably hasn't realised they've changed.
This is assuming you've gone tethered. A socket charger will always be type 2.
This is the first thing the Installer should know. The EV that will be using the charge point and the connection type.

·
www.zeroevltd.co.uk
64 Posts
Hello,

Many thanks,

Sri
Hi Sri

The bottom line is that all the charge points do exactly the same thing( more or less, there are a few exceptions). It's just a different type casing on the wall. they are like a tap supplying electricity. The main issue is the EV charging ability, how quickly the car can charge / drink / absorb / fill its battery. Its like you taking a drink, you can only drink at a certain speed no matter how much water is coming out of the tap. The higher the Kw supply from the charger, the more supply available IF !!!!!! the car can take it.

Any questions contact me.

Pete
Zero EV Ltd

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
This is the first thing the Installer should know. The EV that will be using the charge point and the connection type.
Agreed, however the leaf 2 is new, so some may not have picked up on the change yet.
It would mean a repeat visit when they realised their mistake though.
Also installs for the new leaf should always be 7kW as it has the faster charger as standard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Sri

The bottom line is that all the charge points do exactly the same thing( more or less, there are a few exceptions). It's just a different type casing on the wall. they are like a tap supplying electricity. The main issue is the EV charging ability, how quickly the car can charge / drink / absorb / fill its battery. Its like you taking a drink, you can only drink at a certain speed no matter how much water is coming out of the tap. The higher the Kw supply from the charger, the more supply available IF !!!!!! the car can take it.

Any questions contact me.

Pete
Zero EV Ltd
Thank you. That’s ‘EV charges made simple’ for a layman like me !

·
www.zeroevltd.co.uk
64 Posts
Hi Sri,
You are welcome, I need it simple as well. there is too much jargon out there, to many people and companies trying to make the consumer think that things are a dark art or black magic which is a load of bunkum. most things are simple when you break them down. The more you share them, the more people trust you, but more importantly, they help you immensely. they support you, they can give you direction, advice, also warnings from their own experience. i would much rather a customer or supplier, or someone on this forum, tel me 'Pete don't do that it don't work' and explain why. Rather than me waste days of my life, money and brain cell (note singular) trying to make something work for it to come crashing down around me. When if i'm a little humble, I can learn so much.
Sorry to rant on but you get where i'm coming from?

Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts