Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Boss Lady has ordered an Outlander PHEV so I get the job of doing the research on home charging , on road charging etc etc.

I have read through a lot of the forum and have to say a big thank you for the enthusiasts who share their knowledge and experiences.

I am a prius driver (old model) and hoping to persuade my company to lease an Outlander PHEV next year

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Welcome!

After just holidaying up in that beautiful part of the world, you've made the right choice with a PHEV rather than a BEV. All those hills and lack of public charging will mean that you'll be using a fair bit of dinosaur juice unless the majority of your journeys are short.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that. Please forgive my ignorance being a newbie but what is a BEV ? is it a fully electric vehicle ? I have learned some of the terminology, and now understand what is meant by being ICE'd - love it :cool:

Whilst we are in the very north of Cumbria ( brampton near Carlisle) the hills arent too much of an issue.. The car will mainly be for SWMBO to go back and forward to her business (circa 20 miles) and the Golf Club, so we shouldnt use too much petrol. She goes across to newcastle on business about once a month so she can stop at waitrose hexham and have a coffee (free) whilst using the rapid charger which is about halfway and do the same coming back. The lease is limited to 12000 miles per annum so if she needs to do long trips she may have to use my old prius and I could get a go in the PHEV (perhaps o_O)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Battery Electric Vehicle - 100% electric

PHEV - Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle - like the Outlander or Ampera

ICE - Internal Combustion Engine vehicle - runs only on petrol, diesel or LPG (not plug in)

:) :)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Interesting one, the Outlander, Plug In Prius (and some new kids on the block eg A3 e-tron) are PHEVs, but many refer to the BMW i3 and Ampera/Volt as E-REV (Extended Range Electric Vehicles) or Rex (Range extender) because the petrol engine generates electricity, not directly drive the wheels.

Although there is some debate over the Ampera's more complicated Voltec powertrain because under certain heavy load conditions, the motor will engage the wheels.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
EREV seems to have been invented by GM to somehow differentiate the Volt/Ampera from other PHEVs. IMO it is a marketing ploy and serves no real purpose.

To me all EVs that have a ICE as backup are PHEVs. How you determine if it is a EREV is subjective and so open to interpretation.

To me, the Ampera, Volt, Outlander, Plug-in Prius, BMW i3 with REx are all PHEVs but with differing EV ranges and differing ICE ranges.

The fact that the ICE acts as a serial hybrid not connected to wheels in any way (BMW i3), parallel hybrid where ICE also drives wheels (Plug-in Prius) or a combination of the two (Volt/Ampera) does not change the fact they are all Plug-in Hybrids IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Welcome Chris! Feel free to ask any questions you have. You'll find forum members will be very happy to share their knowledge and experience (plus their diverse opinions too)!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome Chris, there are some very helpful & knowledgeable members on this forum.

I also drive a Hybrid Prius, soon to change it for an Outlander Phev. Will be interested to compare notes on mpg etc.

I try to get my hubby interested in the PHEV but apart from the technical side he's not that bothered, A petrol head, never to be changed I fear! :)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Welcome Chris, there are some very helpful & knowledgeable members on this forum.

I try to get my hubby interested in the PHEV but apart from the technical side he's not that bothered, A petrol head, never to be changed I fear! :)
Shove him in a Tesla...that should do it ;)

I would add that forums are likely to answer more of your questions than magazine/online articles, sales staff and sometimes the vehicle handbook! (As long as you don't take EVERYTHING as gospel).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi Chris!
I hope you like the Outlander. I have had mine for six weeks. My commute is 10 miles each way, I charge at home overnight on Ecomomy 7, and top up at work, so most days it runs as EV only.
The sales staff were enthusiastic but not too well informed as it was all new for them. I learnt much more from the helpful folk on this forum.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Indeed. I had a test drive in the Outlander but the guy who was meant to take me out was busy. The guy who did take me out really didn't try to sell the benefits at all. I doubt it would have made any difference as I don't need 4wd, like poky acceleration and my daily commute is 36 miles...but it would have been nice all the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But at least Chris (and other newbies) now know what EREV and Rex mean... ;)
i thought erev was a n online vicar ;)

bit sad i know but we went across to the metro centre yesterday and spent time looking at the charging stations in car park - and SWMBO hasnt even got the phev yet ! :eek:
then on the way home called in at hexham to see the rapid charger (at 9 p.m. we must have looked very suspicious). when swmbo saw the 3 different connections panic alarm sounded - how do i know which one to use , what if i use the wrong one . so first trip in car when it comes is to hexham otherwise lots of petrol will be used by the boss.:cool:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
.....when swmbo saw the 3 different connections panic alarm sounded - how do i know which one to use , what if i use the wrong one . so first trip in car when it comes is to hexham otherwise lots of petrol will be used by the boss.:cool:
Hello Chris and SWMBO.
;) only one will fit your car's rapid socket. It's called the CHAdeMO and it's on a DC cable. They have installed the new ABB unit at Hexham and it's on #2. This is the largest connector of the three and your Outlander PHEV uses the same connectors as the Nissan LEAF.

The new ABB units are using a new v2 style CHAdeMO 'head' which are much simpler to connect and release to and from the car.

Below is the more common version 1 style head that uses a button and lever system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts