Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm very shortly going to collect a Peugeot iOn which I'm trailering back home to Dorset. (I did seriously consider driving it back home but Dorset is not very well served with charge points and nor are Somerset and Wiltshire for the routes that are viable to me)

I know there's quite a lot of EV owners very near me now as I've been seeing the ever increasing numbers of Nissan Leafs, Vauxhall Amperas and even several Mitsubishi Outlanders plus a BMW i8 driving around quite regularly.

It would be good to get in touch with any locals and have a natter and exchange notes, perhaps even try to lobby various councils to encourage some more charge points in some useful areas that would then facilitate some proper routes opening up so that we can use our cars for a bit more than just fetching the shopping or having a meal at a B&B or Hotel.

I'm not sure what charger to get installed at home and who to go through so any advice here would be appreciated. I'm also interested in having a charge point fitted at my workshop too which I'd happily make available to people though it seems that this is something rather harder to get done.

I'm looking forward to my first charge away from home and to meeting other EV owners

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Welcome to Speak EV @Kelvin. :) We do have a number of folk on here from Dorset/Hampshire area, hopefully some will pop-in and say hello, otherwise a quick search (top right) for Dorset should find you a few discussions and people. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Speak EV @Kelvin. :) We do have a number of folk on here from Dorset/Hampshire area, hopefully some will pop-in and say hello, otherwise a quick search (top right) for Dorset should find you a few discussions and people. :)
Thanks Paul I was just doing that right now. Taking a bit of a break from running round like a headless chicken sorting money/insurance/trailers for tomorrow's collection of my iOn :) I've already posted in one of the other Dorset threads too

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whereabouts in sunny Dorset are you ?
Ps. Welcome, almost fancy an ion myself if they get much cheaper !
Hi Lee I'm in Blandford Forum.

There's a very low mileage iOn for sale now at Yeovil for £7k Dorchester also has one at £8k with 6000miles on but they are sticking to that price and won't haggle. Pretty good value for money I think. They are cropping up all over the country now as lease cars become available from various local authorities that leased them to go 'Green'

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hi Lee I'm in Blandford Forum.

There's a very low mileage iOn for sale now at Yeovil for £7k Dorchester also has one at £8k with 6000miles on but they are sticking to that price and won't haggle. Pretty good value for money I think. They are cropping up all over the country now as lease cars become available from various local authorities that leased them to go 'Green'
Lovely part of the country. We normally come home past Blandford when we go camping in Lychett Minster. :)

7000 is tempting, but I've got my eyes open for one around the £4000 mark. For that price I could almost justify it for the additional EV range over my Ampera. A lot of the routes I am now driving have rapid charging, so I could in theory manage entirely EV journeys, that I am currently having to use some petrol for.

You have a rapid charger up at Salisbury, I guess that's possibly your closest one ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a rapid charger up at Salisbury, I guess that's possibly your closest one ?
There's also ones in Dorchester, Weymouth and Poole but I have yet to check the Dorchester one out. I think there's something in Wimborne too but that's not too clear at present. There's also a few Little Chefs around which are supposed to be putting in charge stations (makes sense and opens up a lot of possible routes)

I think you'll have to wait a fair time yet for a car to come up for £4k but there are some Twizzyz close to that price only for those you have to pay a monthly battery lease so that kills off any savings. I was actually looking to get an Outlander but was struggling to justify the cost. had considered an Ampera but I need to tow trailers and move a lot of heavy items frequently.

Yes I know the iOn does not fit that criterion at all but there is method in my madness. Basically I pension off my current do it all car and now just use that for the heavy stuff and save money straight away by using the iOn for 80% of my journeys. Then wait and see what's available over the next 3 years or so to then decide on what to get instead of my workhorse.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
There's also ones in Dorchester, Weymouth and Poole but I have yet to check the Dorchester one out. I think there's something in Wimborne too but that's not too clear at present. There's also a few Little Chefs around which are supposed to be putting in charge stations (makes sense and opens up a lot of possible routes)

I think you'll have to wait a fair time yet for a car to come up for £4k but there are some Twizzyz close to that price only for those you have to pay a monthly battery lease so that kills off any savings. I was actually looking to get an Outlander but was struggling to justify the cost. had considered an Ampera but I need to tow trailers and move a lot of heavy items frequently.

Yes I know the iOn does not fit that criterion at all but there is method in my madness. Basically I pension off my current do it all car and now just use that for the heavy stuff and save money straight away by using the iOn for 80% of my journeys. Then wait and see what's available over the next 3 years or so to then decide on what to get instead of my workhorse.
I did toy with the idea of a twizzy before I got the Ampera, but it's not really practical for me. It would be more of a toy !
I'm in no rush, I expect that when my wife ICE finally breaks, she will take the Ampera from me, and I will go BEV. So a Leaf or IoN would be ok for that.
Alternatively I will keep the Ampera and convert her current car to an EV, as she really loves driving it !

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am looking into doing a conversion myself also though I'm inclined to do a hybrid. The iOn has a really tidy rear mounted motor so I'm looking around now for any crash damaged ones too!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Kelvin, I'm based in Poole, always up for ev, and ev conversion chats while sharing a few amps :)
Hi Mark I may well drop by some time to say hello, I noticed you're into bicycles too which I've also been tinkering with So yeah will have bit of a chat at some point. I'm waiting on a charge lead/adaptor at the moment before I venture over to Poole and Bournemouth in the EV, though I have been checking out the charge points when I've been over there in my ICE

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,571 Posts
Hi Kelvin just found this thread. I bought the £7k ion in Yeovil and we did consider a twizy briefly. If it wasnt for the battery rental we would probably bought one and if renault go ahead and sell used ones with the battery I may still. Hope your enjoying your ion as much as we are.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Kelvin just found this thread. I bought the £7k ion in Yeovil and we did consider a twizy briefly. If it wasnt for the battery rental we would probably bought one and if renault go ahead and sell used ones with the battery I may still. Hope your enjoying your ion as much as we are.
Excellent that one was a real bargain I should have held back a few more days The battery rental on the Renaults was the killer for me too I did like the Zoe too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts