Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Zero SR/S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a former LEAF owner who is just about to get himself a bike.

One thing I liked about the LEAF was the option of the Eco route on the SatNav.
For example, if I was not in a rush, this meant that I could get to the Head Office and back home now and then on one charge rather than needing to divert to locate a working charging station do the extra miles and wait around while the charging magic happens.

I now have a motorcycle which does not come with a SatNav, but I can see the benefit now and then finding a route that is efficiently accounting for changes in altitude as well as distance.

Is anyone aware of a StandAlone system or App. that is out there to do this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have pondered this same question before and whilst there are EV apps that can suggest 'shorter' routes such as WattsUp, there aren't any that can simply offer the ECO route in the same way the Leaf or the i3 can.

As an aside, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Zero, they look to be an impressive bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's a good app but it's just like Google maps in the way it presents the routes, you have to work out yourself which is the most eco friendly route. The advantage is how it shows your likely state of charge and how you can alter factors such as real range, temperature and wind speed.

·
Registered
2020 Zero SR/S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have pondered this same question before and whilst there are EV apps that can suggest 'shorter' routes such as WattsUp, there aren't any that can simply offer the ECO route in the same way the Leaf or the i3 can.

As an aside, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Zero, they look to be an impressive bike.
I have taken one for a ride and expect delivery tomorrow.
In Eco mode, it feels like a standard big bike, take the Eco off and I never got it above half throttle due to fear and reaching my speed limit so quickly.
This model is so new to the market that I'm struggling to get insurance.
Zero are getting involved and talking to the insurers today to see if they are able to help.

I'd be happy to report back once I have had the bike a few months.
My main use will be a 30-mile daily commute if we get to go back to the office.
I also, with trepidation, am considering taking it on a trip through France, Spain and Portugal to Libon at some point next year. Though I may also bottle it and hire something for that.

Watch this space

·
Registered
2020 Zero SR/S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'm taking a look now. I'll see if I can cudgel it into doing what is needed.
... Ok I installed and fired up the app.
My first test was to find a route to my mate in Bontddu, Gwynedd
Apparently the app. cannot find the place. However, I put in Barmouth and scrolled the map east and Bontddu is there.

However, copying the location then pasting it back into the for itself does seem to work.
Not an inspiring first test.

I'm still unsure what the advantage over Zap-Map is yet but I have just started playing
thanks for bringing it to my notice :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts