Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi , I am about to order a Leaf Acenta under the Electric Avenue scheme. I have been umming and arring about it for a few months and found your forum really useful . A big thank you to @Talon who answered my Electric Avenue questions. I still can't decide if to go for any extras . As much as I would like the 6.6kw and cold pack , if I do only keep the car for the 18 months , it seems a lot extra to pay .

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Welcome to the forum @catherington :)

I have a generation 1 Leaf (2011) so I only have the 3kW charger.

I suppose it depends a lot on how you intend to use the car.

If you expect to use it just for local trips and within the range of the car (say, under 80 miles in the day) then you won't be using public charging so most, if not all, your charging will be done at home and probably overnight.

However, there are a couple of scenarios where you might consider the 6kW charger a real bonus...

If you often need to top up during the day. Charging at 3kW is like watching paint dry! It is perfectly fine for an overnight charge but if you are needing the miles asap then 3kW is not the best way. 3kW will add about 15 miles per hour of charge whereas 6kW about 30 miles. So if you are topping up in the day you will want 6kW.

Long trips. If you intend to have the Leaf as your only car then you will need to use it for longer trips, if only occasionally. Having 6kW charging as a backup for when rapid chargers fail or as a way to charge at your destination is a huge bonus. This is one of the things I miss with my Mk1 Leaf.

I don't know the costs involved and whether it is worthwhile is a personal decision, but I would personally pay a fair bit to have 6kW charging. I am even considering an after-market upgrade on my Mk1 if the price is right.

Good luck with your choice and keep us all informed on how you get on won't you :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
welcome @catherington :)

Personally I'd get both the 6kW charger and cold pack because they will transform your ownership. I know you only intend to keep the car for 18 months but things change and you might have it longer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Paul and Kevin for your welcome and advice . I understand the advantages of the 6kw , it is just a cost thing against the unknown of how much I will use it. If the contract was longer the maths would get easier, but over 18 months the £1150 adds nearly 30% to the monthly cost . Plus I would need to get a brick ( I understand you lose that with the upgrade ) at additional cost . The real people that gain seems to be the lease company ,who get a more valuable car at the end . Decision decision ........ Nigel

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
FWIW we don't use the "brick" anywhere any more, the only place it was used was at Polar / Chargemaster posts, but they've too pricey to bother with now, so it's 6.6kW at home most of the time and sometimes out on the roads too. I think the faster charging is worth it, and will give you an overall better experience...

Welcome to Speak EV. :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Oh good, another EV driver from my area, we're getting more numerous recently! Welcome to you @catherington

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Welcome @catherington I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you with Electric Avenue by the sounds of things. I opted to take the 6.6kw charging option. £800 IIRC which I'm paying to the dealer with the first payment to avoid interest. Mainly for the reasons @Paul_Churchley stated above. I can see myself wanting to use it for longer journeys. 32A charging is likely to be available at far end destinations and is a backup of sorts to the somewhat unreliable rapid network we have at present. I roughly calculated I'd only have to make around one such journey a month and I'll have paid for the upgrade in fuel saving over the 18 months.

Pondered cold pack but dropped it. Elec Avenue will also quote you for a Tekna which is worth considering if you're set on the cold pack. Few other niceties come with it like around view camera and full leather. Can't remember exact price they gave me on the phone but seem to remember 290ish p.m.

I was going to take the Tekna + 6.6kW until my company just added the Outlander PHEV to its company car scheme, so I went for the cheaper lease and compromised on ordering two EVs instead, a GX4h Outlander from work and the Leaf Acenta on a private lease from the trial :)

Not sure about you but my ' lease' was quoted as a PCP. Nissan don't consider the charger upgrade to add to GFV so if I want to buy at 18 months my charger investment is secure and I can buy out still taking advantage of the original Nissan discounts. This is tempting to me, but I was also tempted by taking an 18 month toe-in-the-water view. The trial lease cost and the savings alone on fuel & tax make the trial a no brainer in any case, even if we walk away from the lease in 18 months which I'm dead 50/50 on. Things are happening fast all of a sudden in the market and by the time my lease ends on the Leaf 2016 will be about to dawn where there's likely to be a lot of interesting options available to choose from :cool:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
btw. yes you do lose the 13A brick with the 6.6kW charger option - lunacy. To buy it back will cost you £400 on top of the £800 you've just payed, and that might be +VAT, I cant remember!

Cheapest option is to buy the Ampera brick from a vauxhall dealer which I hear is 100% compatible and around 1/2 price, or eBay. Or, depending on your planned usage go without. Personally, I'd want one onboard for reassurance though I most likely wouldn't ever plan to use a 13A plug socket.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry @catherington, I never noticed your post! You're welcome :)

Although it's possibly too late for me to be adding more advice to this thread I have another reason why a 6.6kW charger may be a good idea. This is a use case that I myself will potentially have to deal with.

Let's imagine that your daily commute uses up a considerable chunk of the battery charge (say 50-60%) and you have plans in the evening to visit friends who live around 20 miles away, via a hilly, 80% motorway route. The total usage for this trip alone (there and back) could be around 60-70%. When you arrive from work, an extra 1-2 hours on charge at 6.6kW would make this easily possible whereas without it, you could be pushing your luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you all for your warm welcome and advice. I know 6.6 kw should be the way to go. When I was getting the car via my local dealer on a 36 month lease I had included it. However with just a 18 month lease it's hard to get the maths to work. We have two cars ,my ice does not over 50mph £1000 buys a lot of diesel . Add in some of the crazy charging prices and the hassle I think we will use the ice . The final reason is I have PV so will want a slow charge most of the time. I work shifts so the car is home a lot in the day. I feel more guilty about putting a non 6.6 kw back into the market place more than anything else. I'm now caught up in the halt on home charges , so would be trying to find a brick if I'd gone for the extra. British Gas canceled on the morning they were coming in early May and dispite chasing have never got back to me . I'm now hoping Pod point will come in time. Just for interest Nissan have stopped the cold pack on the Ascent

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Electric Avenue have given me 17th July for delivery . Still no home charging point !

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Hopefully this olev fiasco will be sorted before July, but if you have the 3 pin evse block at least you will still be able to charge off PV during the day :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts