Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everybody,

I am a proud owner of a Kona Electric! So far my average range (it's between 5 and 10 Celsius here) is around 365km. And I am not driving in any other way as I did with my previous Mazda 3. So I am happy.:) Also, the instant power is amazing!

I am not going to lie. The reason I signed up is that I am trying to make my own autoPi/EvNotify app for my Hyundai Kona. I am a software engineer so I find this fun and interesting to do :).

The problem I stumbled upon is the ODB2 connection. Am I right that the ODB2 dongle only works when the ignition/power is on? Before I started with this project I thought I read somewhere that an ODB2 dongle will also work when the car is on a charger but this is not my experience. I played around with Torque Pro and two ODB2 dongles but my result is that the ODB2 dongle/connection only works when the ignition/power is on. And no I did not cheap out on the dongles.

If I am right (and hopefully I am not) then I think this whole EVApp thing is kinda useless for the Kona... I mean, the main reason I am making this app is so can follow the charging progress from home. Since I have to use public chargers in my neighborhood.

Can somebody of you guys/girls tell me if I am wrong or right on finding that the ODB2 dongle/connection is only working when the ignition/power of the car is on?

With kind regards,

A happy Kona owner!

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Generally speaking due to the lack of any security on the CANBus in-particular its very uncommon for the bus to remain active when the ignition is off indefinitely. Some vehicles periodically wake up to perform checks and send data but I don't think any stay truly active.

When charging you'd expect the bus to be active with charger comms however. Unless the port itself has some cleverness about it for security if broken into.

·
Leave in a Leaf
478 Posts
In the old days :rolleyes: we'd have just hot wired it off the back of the ignition switch/fuse box. I suppose the world would end if you tried that with a canbus car ?
Mind you - I heard of someone who hot wired the cigarette lighter on a Leaf before now and everything still worked. Or is the Leaf not canbus ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts