Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Peter,
I've got a nerdy interest in evs, specifically the leaf.

However I have an interesting range problem.
I live close to work (5 miles), so close in fact that I can cycle / take an ICE to work.
I can't justify buying a leaf / ev on economical grounds (not burning enough petrol for an ev to pay for itself), and I can't justify it on eco grounds - cycling is going to be better for the enviroment...

So I'm watching with a close interest, from a super nerdy aspect..with no real prospect of buying one :(
Although I suppose my ICE will die one day..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Peter and welcome.

Yes, I can see the problem. I have a worse situation in that I work from home and have done all the time I have had my Leaf. I got mine because I wanted it, we could afford it and we aren't getting any younger. I realised that I couldn't justify it financially but I wanted to be part of the electric revolution and I didn't want to miss out.

Some might say that this is a trivial reason to spend so much money and how could I argue except to say that everyone will have their own reasons to buy, or not to buy, an EV and as far as I am concerned they are all valid! Most people work hard to be able to afford the things we buy and so I think we should all be able to spend our money on whatever makes us happy :)

Don't forget, 2nd hand prices of a Mk1 Leaf are fantastic value and will only get better. A Mk1 in excellent condition might only be £12k. Worth thinking about when you current ICE dies for sure.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My commute is 4 miles each way and for me this was bothering me how much petrol I was using just to do this short journey. I took the plunge as soon as the Ampera hit the market. My short commute just made me confident I would not spend on petrol for months on end. I do intend to keep mine into retirement and over it's lifetime it will have saved me thousands. I do recommend having an extended test drive. I thought it was like a trip into wonderland every time I drove it. I am still thrilled with my decision, and it is my hedge against rising fuel prices so I can afford mobility in retirement, in both comfort and style, and powered by the sun via my solar pv panels.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Welcome, nerdy interests make you more than qualified to join in here at Speak EV!

I was several years between driving and buying an EV, crazy diesel costs driving around Milton Keynes, and the new LEAF finally pushed me over into the "I can just about validate this purchase I REALLY want" category.

Don't ever want to go ICE again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you thought about a Renault Twizy for your commute? All the fun of an EV and charges from a 3pin socket. Also slightly less exposed to the elements and a bit safer than a bike if you should have an accident. Just a thought...

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Keep watching the used EV market, LEAF in particular, as the prices keep pushing down. I can see the LEAF (used) becoming a more and more popular short commute, city car as the entry price issue fades away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts