Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My wife and I have just stumbled upon this forum despite having owned a Renault Zoe (EV63 ZOE) for over a year now. We are both firm devotees of the Zoe and she has served us extremely well so far, coping easily with my, almost daily, commute from Surrey to North London, a 60 mile round trip.

One question though. We are about to move house to Kent next week and so far have failed in our attempt to get a charge point installed in our new house's garage under the OLEV grant scheme because we already had one put in at our old address. Has anyone come across this situation before, and has anyone had any success in persuading the nice people at OLEV to allow a second installation. Being in a very rural location means that a home charge point is a necessity for us.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Who is the charge point provider that is applying for this charge point from OLEV. Is it OLEV that is saying you cannot have another one or the charge point provider?

The rules have changed now I believe, you can only apply for the charge point if you actually own an EV.

Would it be possible for your wife to apply for the charge point this time around (if she is the registered owner on the car). If she isn't maybe it would be a thought to change the registered owner of the car to your wife to save a possible £500-600 on a new charge point and installation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kentish zoe,
Thanks for your welcome to Kent, and your useful contact with a Rolec installer. I have already tried Rolec and although they were very helpful they agreed with my findings that OLEV do not allow two installations for the same car, even though they are at different addresses. So I think I am going to have to disconnect and physically move my existing charger and have an electrician reinstall it at our new house! (possibly the firm you suggested).
By the way do you happen to know if the public charge point at Tenterden Leisure Centre is up and running yet? The council did not know!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi woodlee, sorry no idea, i am canterbury way where the city council are supposed to be putting in 3 fast chargers but don't know if they are live yet either.
it might technically be a breach of olev rules to move the charger as well and i wouldn't want to suggest anything dishonest on here, but worth speaking to Pat as he only needs to know that you are moving into a house and that you have bought a Zoe.
Do you charge in london or do you comfortably do your 60 mile trip ? I can do the 65 miles canterbury to london with 35 in hand in warm weather but i haven't tried since it's been a bit colder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kentish Zoe. I have found out that following the British Gas installation of my Chargemaster point, the ownership transfers to me. So I have contacted Pat Carnell who is going to quote for installing my old chargepoint at my new address.
As to my commute, as there is no charging available at or near my work, I rely on Zoe doing my 60 mile round trip without problems. In a year of use, she has been marvellous. I leave the air con on constantly, also lights, wipers, heater etc in winter and do not use the eco mode. And still arrive home often with 40 miles left available! So assuming you charge at work in order to do your commute before returning home, I do not think you need worry about a reduced winter range. One thing that surprised me was as the traffic jams got worse, Zoe got better! Often crawling for 5 miles and only using 3 miles of range. Good luck this winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure whether the 3 year rule applied in Oct 2013 when I received my chargepoint. If you look at the terms and conditions contained on the British Gas Home Charge Point Installation Services for residential customers (OLEV Subsidised) website https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy-saving-products/electric-vehicles/terms-and-conditions under paragraph 2, section 3, it states "When we have installed the HCP, we will transfer ownership to you" I take this to mean I can move it, and Pat Carnell seemed to agree with this as he was willing to quote for the removal and reinstallation.
But if anyone knows better.......I don't want to break the law!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Sound like a good result woodlee, glad he could help you.
The charger belongs to you but you agree to submit data for 3 years but as long as it's not powered down for too long then it shouldn't be a problem.
Glad to hear your range is so reliable - maybe i should be more confident but i think having the 17" wheels knocks it down a bit.
good luck with the move

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly the rules state that we cannot have a second grant. One grant per EV car and/or house only. When we first bought our Zoe, the offer was different, and we could also have had charge points installed for free at friends and family houses, but now that the grant money is more in demand, they have naturally reined in the offer.

Another statement from the British Gas t&c is "By agreeing to the Installation service, you agree to use the HCP only for charging a plug-in electric vehicle at your home and for no other purpose. You also agree to keep the HCP in a serviceable order for at least three years so the Office for Low Emission Vehicles ("OLEV") can collect information on it. They, or their agents, may contact you in the future to carry out random checks."

In other words, providing the HCP is serviceable and still providing data, (the mobile phone coverage in our new home is deemed to be very good for 3G) , there should be no problem. There is more likelihood of a problem if we were to leave it behind and the buyers of our house were to not use it (they do not have an electric car or plans for one) and turn it off!

And finally, the data OLEV are collecting, according to their own current document "EV Homecharge scheme, Guidance for suppliers" ( page 39 ) is
1 Chargepoint ID
2 Start date and time
3 End date and time
4 Total energy drawn (kWh)
They are NOT interested in the position of the chargepoint!

P.S. Kentish Zoe- our Zoe indeed does not have the 17" wheels, so that no doubt would make a difference, but hopefully not enough to trouble your journey if you are charging at work anyway......

·
Registered
Kona SE
965 Posts
In other words, providing the HCP is serviceable and still providing data, (the mobile phone coverage in our new home is deemed to be very good for 3G) , there should be no problem.
I would tend to agree with this view.The reason for the restriction is so that OLEV can continue to receive data. OLEV's contract is with BG not the consumer and the consumer needs to be governed by their contract with BG. As an equitable remedy it is unfair that the new OLEV scheme has been designed to tie one charger issue per car if it does not allow the user to move home. If the installer was to impose such conditions on a consumer this smacks of unfair contract terms.

Lets look again from OLEV's point of view. They pay for 75% of the installation for what? For data. An unused chargepoint is of no value to them. I'm sure they have paid for far too many unused chargepoints in the last year.

Be aware however that much of the cost of installing a chargepoint is labour. The hardware can be relatively inexpensive* unless you have an in-house sparks. As some other threads on the forum are mentioning there seems to be a number of charger failures within 2 years of installation.

*Edit - Meant less valuable not inexpensive (still not cheap) and key word is relatively.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts