Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Red & Silver smart ED + 22kW charger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just found this site after losing faith in the EV Network UK site - its turned into a zombie!

I've been driving a smart ED for just over 3 years now. The first was a phase II smart leased for 2 years under the CABLED project. I liked the car so much that I placed an order for a production phase II version. It took a year to arrive (long story!) so the lease kept getting extended on the old car.

A week or so before the new car was due, I crash tested the old one. Somebody waited until the last possible moment and pulled across right in front of me. The smart proved its safety credentials; it was a write off but I walked off with just a small bump and a couple of minor bruises.

Anyway, I've now got my shiny new red smart ED with the high power charger and decent sound system. There were a few problems with the GPRS telematics connection but that's all fixed. So now I'm happy:p!

Anybody want to know about the smart ED then just ask away......

·
Red & Silver smart ED + 22kW charger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant, glad you found us! We have at least one other Smart EV driver here, I really like the look of them but not driven one.
Hi Paul,
One of the really nice things about the smart is that although it is a small car, it doesn't feel small inside. And because it is based on the conventional engined smart car, it's well sorted. You can get all the creature comforts and toys you expect these days - sat nav, good sound system, phone integration and air conditioning.

Driving is great fun. The torque is instant so it's great for traffic light duels. Although the published 0-60 figure is 11.5 seconds, it feels much faster. As the battery is flat under the floor you get a low centre of gravity and good wright distribution. So it goes round corners like a go-kart. If you push really hard it will just drift a bit. Steering is electric and very smooth and progressive.

The one bit I'm not too keen on is the transition from regenerative braking into conventional brakes. As you slow and the regen drops off, you sometimes notice that to get the expected braking effect, your foot is slowly moving downwards. But you get used to it soon enough.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I used to own a Smart Roadster Coupe, and apart from it leaking all the time and taking a week to shift gears it was really good fun, I have a soft spot for small cars and Smarts are very much that! Also see a lot around MK.

A Smart Roadster EV would be a lot of fun, I believe @Alex Hansford would be keen on one too. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Adrian

I've just joined the forum after putting a deposit down on an electric smart car from Milton Keynes. It's their demo one and I collect it on Sat. I'm hoping it makes the 55 mile journey down the M1 (back to Ealing). How have you found your electric smart? Do you still have it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts