Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have owned a Leaf for 3 months now, covering 5,000 miles so far. I bumped into a member of this forum (Ian) at Edinburgh college earlier in the week, while he was charging his Ampera.

This weekend will see me trying my first long trip, driving from Livingston down to Redruth. The last part of the journey, past Exeter, could be the most challenging. After a few phone calls though, it seems there are a couple of Citroen / Peugeot garages who are prepared to let me use their Rapid Chargers, otherwise I'll just have to rely on the the type 2 chargers around Cornwall.

We plan to head down the M74 / M6 / M5 motorways, then head off the Cardiff to pick up our son. After that the trip will continue down to Cornwall. Hopefully one overnight stop along the route should do the job. If we have delays / battery overheating / broken chargers, that may alter our plans a bit.

If you see a white 14 plate Leaf in the next week, with a Scottish number plate, it could well be us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We finished the trip on Saturday evening. Most of the trip was by using the Ecotricity chargers along the way. The Frankley services rapid was down, so we used to local access road to the Northbound charger. Michaelwood was out if action on both southbound and northbound but they do have a type 2 point, giving us enough charge to head off to Cardiff and then up to Treharris.

From the valleys to the M5 was pretty clear, until we hit the traffic jams as Weston Super Mare. Eventually we arrived at Exeter for out last rapid charge. This was after 5pm so we knew that there would be no dealers open along the way and with still 100 miles to go, the only option was to divert to St Austell. We arrived there with 10% left in the battery, finding out that we could not use the privately owned rapid charger in the town. The only option was to use the type 2 charger at Asda, which (thankfully) gave us 40% for the trip to Redruth. It also let the batttery cool down as it had been hovering close to the red bars.

So we are now in Redruth having to use the 'brick' charger to get us around.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
We finished the trip on Saturday evening. Most of the trip was by using the Ecotricity chargers along the way. The Frankley services rapid was down, so we used to local access road to the Northbound charger. Michaelwood was out if action on both southbound and northbound but they do have a type 2 point, giving us enough charge to head off to Cardiff and then up to Treharris.

From the valleys to the M5 was pretty clear, until we hit the traffic jams as Weston Super Mare. Eventually we arrived at Exeter for out last rapid charge. This was after 5pm so we knew that there would be no dealers open along the way and with still 100 miles to go, the only option was to divert to St Austell. We arrived there with 10% left in the battery, finding out that we could not use the privately owned rapid charger in the town. The only option was to use the type 2 charger at Asda, which (thankfully) gave us 40% for the trip to Redruth. It also let the batttery cool down as it had been hovering close to the red bars.

So we are now in Redruth having to use the 'brick' charger to get us around.
Was there a reason why you couldn't use the private charger in St Austell? Others seem to have used it (for a fee) with no issues in the past.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The boss wasn't on shift at the time and he couldn't be contacted to authorise the use of the charger, even though I offered to pay and explained our situation. The staff in Asda were far more understanding and were willing to wait until I had enough charge to get to my destination.

Back at our holiday base the Peugeot dealer in Hayle has been very helpful and has let me use their ABB (50amp) Chademo charger. The fact that I am driving a Nissan did not cause any issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the hills down here certainly challenge an EV driver. It makes the run down the A68 seem like a doodle!

·
Registered
3 Posts
well done to you both.... from Mike in the white Leaf who chatted with you at the new Gretna charger... Im off to buy a surfboard, its a trip on my bucket list of to do's !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, it was good to chat to you at Gretna. The only other EV be encountered was at Magor sevices in Wales. We has no issues with spaces being blocked, eben though the motorway services were very busy.

As for trying out the surfing, Im meeting up with family tomorrow who are keen surfers. Tsnami alert :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts