Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having collected ID.3 today, this evening I'm parking it and wondering about a couple of things. When driving at night I like to adjust the headlights to suit the motorway I'm on, but when switching to country roads I'll often use the rotary headlamp-adjust button on my cars to lower the dip-beam as I approach crest of hill, to reduce dazzling the car coming up the other side. I don't have matrix lamps on Life model.

Slight problem, there's no familiar rotary knob. I can hit the central screen Home button, select Car, select Lights, press some on-screen button to adjust up/down. But this is not safe or practical in the middle of a trip. Clunky, slow & distracting. So can I simply say "Hello ID, lower the dip beam" or something like that?
Still clunky & slow, but a lot safer & easier to do, if it's possible.

Also, how to turn on recirculating air when behind a diesel? Does ID.3 have vapour-sensors to detect fumes & recirculate for me, or do I have to say "Hello ID, recirculate the air" or what? Again, there's no traditional recirc button.

I'm hoping the manual will have lots of info in, assuming there is one, somewhere.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,672 Posts
First, you should have a hard copy of the manual in the car.

Surely you shouldn’t be adjusting the headlamp range, that’s not what’s it’s for. It’s for when you have additional weight in the car. Unless you have the Life model, you should have the intelligent matrix lights anyway.

There is an option for auto recirculation which I keep turned on.

As for Hello ID in general, I find it interrupts me while I’m singing in the car :LOL:

·
Registered
VW ID3
31 Posts
Don’t know if your model has the automatic control of the headlights since their not the matrix.
The recirculating function has an automatic option, can’t remember now and can’t check but I think you can find it in the ac options.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don’t know if your model has the automatic control of the headlights since their not the matrix.
The recirculating function has an automatic option, can’t remember now and can’t check but I think you can find it in the ac options.

In Ireland the Base model(Non Matrix lights) has self leveling headlights. So no need to adjust even with heavy load in boot. You notice the lights adjusting when you power up car..

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,672 Posts
In Ireland the Base model(Non Matrix lights) has self levelling headlights. So no need to adjust even with heavy load in boot. You notice the lights adjusting when you power up car..
I noticed that, so what does the option under Vehicle do? I read the manual and set it to 1, the lowest.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know if headlamps do auto-level-whatever yet. Need to RTFM! But haven't looked for a manual yet..., maybe it's in the glove box. Reqason for wanting to adjust on the fly is I find bumpy country roads tend to point the beam up suddenly & dazzle oncomers. As I'm driving a lot slower than motorway speeds, I prefer the cut-off really low. Then on the fast flat stuff I like it 30 yards further up the road. It's a courtesy thing; yes, I don't have to do it, but I like to not dazzle others if I can help it, we all know what it's like to be on the receiving end. Having that rotary knob makes this easy.

Hopefully auto-recirc will be like the Ampera, that mostly recirculates, with occasional top-up from outside. Seems the best overall approach to not wasting heat while not suffocating you in CO2. But there are still those occasions I want full recirc, and I want it now. VW are not making this easy, at least as I see it now. I don't really want to talk to the thing, often my wife's asleep!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed that, so what does the option under Vehicle do? I read the manual and set it to 1, the lowest.
I also found that option last night, played with it with dip-cut-off aimed at gge door. Seems to behave like the conventional up-down adjust, except the actual range of adjustment seemed pretty low. And after a bit it stopped adjusting! Maybe I was far too close to gge, and the image was totally confusing the camera? Just hope they're not using a gravity level-sensor to decide what's "level" !

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't see a manual, none in glove box, doesn't look like one in the boot. VW website somewhere has a mention that if you want a paper one, order one from yr dealer. Will have a go at downloading & printing myself. Today tried "Hello ID, set the Climate to recirculate" or somesuch. Result was computer says No. Cannot set climate functions using voice control. maybe this will get fixed? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Anyway, off to do some range-tests today...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've done some Googling for a list of voice commands the system responds to but have come up with nothing at all so far. I know it does some slightly obsure ones like "warm my bum" or "my hands are cold", so I suspect there are others that may have functionality that we'll need to find out organically over time...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
Having collected ID.3 today, this evening I'm parking it and wondering about a couple of things. When driving at night I like to adjust the headlights to suit the motorway I'm on, but when switching to country roads I'll often use the rotary headlamp-adjust button on my cars to lower the dip-beam as I approach crest of hill, to reduce dazzling the car coming up the other side. I don't have matrix lamps on Life model.

Slight problem, there's no familiar rotary knob. I can hit the central screen Home button, select Car, select Lights, press some on-screen button to adjust up/down. But this is not safe or practical in the middle of a trip. Clunky, slow & distracting. So can I simply say "Hello ID, lower the dip beam" or something like that?
Still clunky & slow, but a lot safer & easier to do, if it's possible.

Also, how to turn on recirculating air when behind a diesel? Does ID.3 have vapour-sensors to detect fumes & recirculate for me, or do I have to say "Hello ID, recirculate the air" or what? Again, there's no traditional recirc button.

I'm hoping the manual will have lots of info in, assuming there is one, somewhere.
Have you looked in the glove compartment? I got the usual thick softback manual in the traditional leather case left in the passenger door pocket.

Happy reading!

I have not got as far as the voice control section myself.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,672 Posts
Have you looked in the glove compartment? I got the usual thick softback manual in the traditional leather case left in the passenger door pocket.

Happy reading!

I have not got as far as the voice control section myself.
I just looked at the 3 pages in the manual dealing with Voice Control, and it's not worth reading. Nothing about what commands you can use.

·
Registered
VW ID3
31 Posts
When I get something wrong my ID tells me what I can or can’t ask trough the voice control. You can tell him your cold or hot and he raises or lower the temperature by 1°. This is one example, but indeed there’s is no manual for that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shortly after I got my car I asked it to "navigate home". It called my Mum on the phone. I've tried many times to get it to do simple things but it's failed miserably almost every time. I just use the Google Assistant on Android Auto instead & press the buttons for anything it can't do.

It's one of those features that really should just work these days.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Shortly after I got my car I asked it to "navigate home". It called my Mum on the phone.
Have you tried "Navigate to home address?"

I spent many months being annoyed at my eGolf trying to send me to somewhere called Holme until I found that command by accident.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Funny, I was in the car experimenting and found the help screen. I have captured it for you all. I have not tried them, but I expect these should work, they came from VW.

Documented commands
====================
Activate: Hello ID (don’t wait for acknowledgement, just speak the whole phrase)
Activate: Press the button on the steering wheel. But this time wait for acknowledgement
Deactivate: press voice button twice, use infotainment system (only specific areas), “cancel voice control”

AI recognition
=============
What can I say
Last destinations

Speak freely and naturally to your infotainment system
==============================================
My feet are cold
I’m cold (requires mode online and weConnect activation)
I’m searching for a parking space
Take me home
Take me to work
Show me my last destinations
When will I arrive
I want to see my missed calls
I want to listen to Hit Radio
I want to listen to frequency 87.9
I want to listen to my media
I want to listen to Best of Bach
I want to listen to the news podcast

Commands
=============
Navigate to … (Town, Street Name, House number)
e.g Navigate to London, London Bridge, 32
Call John Office
Play Etude 1
Drive to John Smith
Call John Smith mobile
Call 01234
Call number again
Call voicemail
Read out messages
Read out e-mails
Listen to music
Next track
Add track to playlist
Open sun blind
Open Weather (app)
Cancel voice control

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts
This video from the VW Ireland YT channel offers a suggested voice command for the sun blind:

I tried "Hello ID, show me the stars" it didn't work and it tried to do something else (Tune Internet radio perhaps) which failed due to a lack of Internet connection. Maybe I need to try it in German. 😁

1 - 18 of 18 Posts