Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there

My wife and I are committed to buying an EV because we are keen to drive a car that doesn't have emissions and the Leaf seems like the best option for us, with a young family.

We test drove a Leaf at the weekend which seemed to seal the deal but now decided the best way to buy. Normally we'd never buy new, or PCP, but it may be the most sensible was with an EV and fast changing technology. We can afford to spend £11k outright but the concern is that in 3 years, having a 5 year old Leaf, we may have lost a lot of money and we may be safer on a good PCP deal paying perhaps £9k or do over 3 years and then handing it back. Any thoughts very welcome.

We are after a Acenta with 6.6kw charger and used, for our budget, seem few and far between after looking for a month or so online, and often they sit unsold for a while, or go for above our budget.

If anyone can offer advice on a pcp that would be most welcome as it's a new thing for us completely.

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
167 Posts
You should get a good deal on a new accenta just now. The new battery pack has just been released, so the 24kWh cars are now much less desirable.
I have had my pcp deal for one year now. It's the first time I've had such a deal and would recommend it if you don't plan to keep it after the term is up. Having said that, if you get a really good price, then try pcp for two years, then save up and buy it at the end. Having known my car for a year, I would have no problem buying a used one ( not my one though, the guaranteed future value is stupidly high). There will be loads on the market within the next year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes we were in a similar position to you a month back. We have purchased outright a 2015 Acenta, 6.6 kW, with extras, ex demo (great car) for just over 10% higher than your potential commitment. If you can get the cash together, make a few with long standing listings an offer, they know all about the likely impact of the 30 kWh model.

But the alternative is also tempting, PCP route would give a 30 kWh car, with about 30% more range is quite a benefit. But for us the commitment of deposit, regular payments, waiting, milage restriction, and the fact that you hand it back with nothing to show, was not favourable. For less than 1/2 the price of a new car, we could buy a very near new car, and likely it will have a signicant value in three years, when we would want to keep it anyway.

My conspiracy theory is that this choice is purposely difficult. Vendors of electric cars know the choices we face, and the relevant pros and cons closely. Secondhand values are probably maintained above a free-market floor price to encourage new car ownership. How this is achieved, I am not sure, but may include shipping cars to alternative overseas markets, and/or crushing cars.

The EV market is still relatively new. If they really are as reliable as touted (so far so good), then they will be with us for a long time. Sounds like any individual battery units that deteriorate can be switched out for reasonable cost, making 10 year battery life, a fair expectation.

·
Ecohound
1,303 Posts
I am on my second used Leaf and would thoughly recommend them. My present one is a 6.6kw Acenta and it has been a transformation in EV driving over the Gen 1 which in itself was very good. At present there are some real bargains even less than my ex demo but I got it for the long term and it works for me.
As for PCP there was a post on here of someone who needed to get out early and it was not pretty. As for milage allowance lots of people on here are exceeding their annual figures as the car is so nice to drive. :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Keep looking at used ones.
Pre-reg ones have sold recently for just over £12K.

A lot of people will be looking to upgrade to the 30 model and more cars will be coming off the 2 year leases shortly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help- most appreciated. PCP is very attractive as there are some great deals on 2 years for an Acenta + for about £6.4k all in over the period which sounds pretty good to me. Feels safer than spending £12-13k or so on the same used model and when considering consumables I don't think there would be a huge amount in it. It also gives me a chance to try it out. Does that sound about right for PCP over 2 years?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thanks for all your help- most appreciated. PCP is very attractive as there are some great deals on 2 years for an Acenta + for about £6.4k all in over the period which sounds pretty good to me. Feels safer than spending £12-13k or so on the same used model and when considering consumables I don't think there would be a huge amount in it. It also gives me a chance to try it out. Does that sound about right for PCP over 2 years?
That sounds pretty good. It's off the 'silly' prices that were available earlier this year but seems very competitive to what's generally on offer these days.

When I was buying, I used Nissan Leaf Car Leasing & Contract Hire Deals UK - What Car? Leasing as a benchmark.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,859 Posts
My conspiracy theory is that this choice is purposely difficult. Vendors of electric cars know the choices we face, and the relevant pros and cons closely. Secondhand values are probably maintained above a free-market floor price to encourage new car ownership. How this is achieved, I am not sure, but may include shipping cars to alternative overseas markets, and/or crushing cars.
I'm not sure any of the existing OEMs care enough about EVs to want to manipulate the second hand market. Most only reluctantly produce EVs to show how green they are or for compliance reasons and would love to see them fall flat in the market (look up Fiat/Chrysler and their excellent Fiat 500 EV). My suspicion is that there are a large number of prospective owners out there who can't afford new and a limited supply of second hand vehicles is pushing prices up. If you can afford new, then you have the advantage of being able to look after the battery from new - having said that the evidence from the market is that (extreme cases aside) the batteries are holding up very well indeed.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Sorry to throw you off new but for not much more than your £11k you could get a great secondhand Leaf and buy it outright. It is a great way to get very cheap motoring and probably the most cost effective to get into an EV :)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Think longer term. Two lots of PCP at £.6.4 K give you four years of motoring but for the same money a second hand LEAF at ca £12.5K could give you six years or more motoring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help here. In the end I went for a very attractive 2 year PCP deal which I can afford and can keep the value I sell my Golf for and add to it so that in 2 years I have more options. It's a Grey Acenta+. Should be able to pick it up before xmas. Any advice on what charge cards I should be registering for or any other things I should be doing before I pick up? I have signed up with Pod Point who the dealer recommended to install a tethered charger, although they charged me in additional to the gov grant £285 inc VAT which seemed steep.

Best

Alex

·
"The future? It is now!"
33 Posts
Thanks for all your help here. In the end I went for a very attractive 2 year PCP deal which I can afford and can keep the value I sell my Golf for and add to it so that in 2 years I have more options. It's a Grey Acenta+. Should be able to pick it up before xmas. Any advice on what charge cards I should be registering for or any other things I should be doing before I pick up? I have signed up with Pod Point who the dealer recommended to install a tethered charger, although they charged me in additional to the gov grant £285 inc VAT which seemed steep.

Best

Alex
Is not at all "steep"

·
Registered
335 Posts
£185 for a fitted 16amp or £195 for 32amp seems to be the norm? I would say £285 is steep. Play one company off against the other to get the best deal, I did;).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picked up the car yesterday- very impressed with it. The only complaint, which I noticed on the test drive anyway, was brakes don't feel great (you really seem to need to stamp on them) and the steering is a bit numb, but then I've been driving a Golf for a few years so perhaps I just need to get used to it. Not sure if brakes need to bed in even. The ride is good though and it feels well put together, and it feels lovely that it's so silent. Nissan Tunbridge Wells though were very good, would certainly recommend them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts