Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm about to pick up a Vauxhall Ampera on Monday. Would be very interested to hear from other Ampera Owners. Good things bad things etc

Particularly want to know about compatibility with the network of chargers around the uk... Disppointed theres no Ampera phone app!

thanks
Geoff

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome to an exclusive club:)
The amp has a 3.3kW on board charger and can use (slowly) any of the slow and fast posts - the 3.5, slow ones sometimes seen in supermarket car parks and the 7kW fast units along with the 3 phase varients. You will need a type 2 to type one cable and an app or RFID card for the ones you want to use.
Given the Amp charges at 12 miles per hour roughly it's usually not worth it whilst out and about. Destination charging at attractions like cinemas though is useful.
I mainly charge at home on a 3.3kW wallunit, does me.

See you in the general motors EV Forum amongst the Amperas and Volts

Reactions: RickMGoldie

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Welcome! It is a fabulous car and I will be sad to see mine go. I have had over 6 years of enjoyable and reliable Ampera driving, initially in one of the first delivered in UK on 12 plate and more recently a 64 plate MY13.

I agree that generally the car isn't intended to be charged other than at home, work or when at a destination for several hours. However, my "problem" over past 2 years has been an obsession with trying to drive it on electric and stopping to get a charge whenever I could! Sometimes this was OK as I could catch up on work emails and do stuff for a couple of hours, but it was becoming a tad OCD. The upside is mine has 220MPG lifetime :)

We were unlucky that there was no European OnStar when the Ampera launched as the car was conceived to be connected. Some features of the USA Volt (Ampera close sister) rely on the OnStar portal and Volt Stats! Tracking real world usage of Chevy Volts in the wild... pulls some data from it, where owners allow.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The Ampera is not perfect but allowing for the bad points for me there is still nothing to match it or anywhere near that is better than the Ampera. Unless you go to America for a mk2.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello

I'm about to pick up a Vauxhall Ampera on Monday. Would be very interested to hear from other Ampera Owners. Good things bad things etc

Particularly want to know about compatibility with the network of chargers around the uk... Disppointed theres no Ampera phone app!

thanks
Geoff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello, Geoff.
The only fault my Ampera ever gave was an inability to start, coupled with the dashboard message, 'service steering column lock'. The solution was to disconnect the boot battery, and reconnect after ten minutes. As a Canadian might say, 'what a-boot a re-boot in the boot?'

·
Registered
68 Posts
Though I'm very pleased with my Ampera, I have to admit to not doing my homework before buying. I was under the impression the car would take 50 miles of free charge in half an hour at the public charging points. But no... the Ampera has only a trickle charge port, requiring four hours at the 'pump'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts