Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Ive just registered as I have just ordered the 2017 Outlander.

Exciting.

Comes with a Chargemaster charge point for the home.

What is best, a tethered or socket set up at home? Keeping car clean I wonder if tethered is best?

Any other tips on PHEV ownership greatly appreciated - just a quick post from me for the minute!

Ian

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi Ian

Welcome. Tethered or not is of course up to you :D. I have a tethered and don't regret it - it can be a hassle to dig out a cable every time you plug it in at home (first world problems!), and the cable isn't cheap... A socket is a bit more future-proof as it is more likely to work with other cars (Outlander is a type 1 car, many others are 'type 2' and will require a different lead).

Can you get Chargemaster to put in a 32A socket/lead, or is it limited to 16A? (The Outlander can only use 16A of course but 32A is, again, more future-proof....)

Any more questions feel free to ask away...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ian

Welcome. Tethered or not is of course up to you :D. I have a tethered and don't regret it - it can be a hassle to dig out a cable every time you plug it in at home (first world problems!), and the cable isn't cheap... A socket is a bit more future-proof as it is more likely to work with other cars (Outlander is a type 1 car, many others are 'type 2' and will require a different lead).

Can you get Chargemaster to put in a 32A socket/lead, or is it limited to 16A? (The Outlander can only use 16A of course but 32A is, again, more future-proof....)

Any more questions feel free to ask away...
Hi, thanks for reply.

I think Im more inclined to go for tethered - as you say, a little less hassle!

Yes I can upgrade for £95 to a 32A unit, which comes with a lock and the 'monitoring' which uploads your usage to the cloud - so not bad for £95 all in. Probably go for that - although I get that the PHEV is limited to 16A.

I wonder if, with a tethered system you can get a converter plug that plugs into the car end and then into another type? Just thinking about the future/friends with EV using the plug in?

Ian

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hi, thanks for reply.

I think Im more inclined to go for tethered - as you say, a little less hassle!

Yes I can upgrade for £95 to a 32A unit, which comes with a lock and the 'monitoring' which uploads your usage to the cloud - so not bad for £95 all in. Probably go for that - although I get that the PHEV is limited to 16A.

I wonder if, with a tethered system you can get a converter plug that plugs into the car end and then into another type? Just thinking about the future/friends with EV using the plug in?

Ian
32 Amp upgrade is worth it if only for the thicker cabling which means it won't need re-running even if you change the charge point completely.
Converters are not permitted by the standards, however some people have make their own and used them.
IMHO changing the cable is safer and easy for a sparkie to do.
To be honest, you'd probably just replace the point with a different one as nowadays most of the cost is in the install.

FWIW I prefer tethered as it's less hassle day to day.
Others will swear by the future proofing of a type 2 socket.
Choose what's appropriate for you :)

BTW to use public points (typically type 2 sockets) you're likely to need a cable as I don't think you get one by default. Hopefully I'm wrong on that one.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have a tethered Type 1 but over 3 years ago that's all you could get. Personally now I would get a 32A socket (Universal) version even though having the hassle of getting the Type 1 to Type 2 cable from the boot. For on-street charging you'll have to buy a T1-T2 32A cable anyway (again future proofing getting a 32A version). This way your other friends can use your charge unit with their cable. You can get a conversion adaptor but they are not cheap.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Go for the pluggable 32 amp. Otherwise, you can guarantee that the next car you buy will have a much bigger battery and a different connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts