Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, like John B, I'm seriously considering taking the plunge into EV ownership via a used Peu ion/Cit c-zero or Mits i-miev. Have test driven one briefly, liked it a lot (and discovered rear access & space is way better than Zoe), have posted some queries in the Ice Breaker section. Have only ever seen one of the trio, on charge in Lisbon. And one of the ICE version Mitsubishi in nearby Garforth.
I'm in Wakefield, Yorkshire, EV's here are rare, mostly mk1 Leaf, or Tesla passing through. Chap near me with recently acquired used Zoe, had low-sun frontal woopsie recently, car away being fixed. Reputedly £6k to repair, ouch!
Any trio owners near me, be glad of your support/advice! Which PSA dealers near me support/service them?
And if buying used c2012 model, how much better battery condition should one expect from a c15k miles at £6,995 than c35k miles at £5,500? Even one on Auto Trader with 56k miles, also c£5,500 asking.
Thanks
Richard.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
C-zero here, not too far from you. Never attempted to interact with a main stealer over it but it has a stack of previous owner service history from Riverside Motors of Doncaster.

Can't speculate on battery health but they're all pretty old and the battery state is unlikely to be great. If you're thinking of spunking 7 grand on one then it's worth £70 for the OBDlink dongle [don't get the fakes which ship from China, get a real one] and £10 for evbatmon so you can check before you buy.

I would struggle to justify paying what they fetch now. If you're determined, few things:

1 - Battery health (as discussed above).
2 - Rust - check underneath, be picky, especially check the brake pipes as they're a horrifically difficult and expensive job.
3 - There have been some recalls, (airbag, brake pump) - check if they were done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Zap Fizzle, good to hear from you, and thanks for your feedback. Do you re-charge at home, if so, which cable & port, which type chargepoint, how long are the standard cables, (the Sheffield car had both, and both looked well used.) The used cars come via Peugeot Leasing, likely ex-local authority, and I'm guessing social workers might be typical users...? How long have you had your C-zero, was it new or used? What age & mileage, how's the SOH? Do you have the diagnostic gear you quote?
Do you manage solely with your EV, or do you keep an ICE vehicle for longer trips, or is hiring one more viable? I do a hilly trip over into Derbyshire & over more hills into south Cheshire, every 2-3weeks, don't see an I-on managing it, c1500ft climb to Woodhead, 2 more 1,000fts to Congleton, and M62 1,200ft on way home! Would consider mk 1 Leaf but hate the looks, & just feels unnecessarily big!
Was shocked that Ion has better rear access & space for adults, than Zoe.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My 63 plate CZero was ~£4250 last April with mid 30,000 miles on the clock.

Worked out at ~£2500 to me after disposing of old car through WBAC [which I've saved back from no longer buying petrol coupled with 99% free public charging]. With no road tax and minimal servicing it's as cheap as it gets :)

I certainly would not pay ~£7k for a 2012 model as that is a lot of cash. Even ~£5.5k seems a bit steep. For a low price they make a great run around. Just takes one expensive failure to scrap the car.

Do you do many miles? That could be a big factor in your decision as the more you drive the more you save vs ICE car.

Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL 50mph on the M62... Perhaps in the middle of the night... :ROFLMAO:
Hi Colin, sounds like you got a good deal!
In last year (retired) covered 8,300 miles, Skoda Roomster tdi, plus nearly 400miles on e-assist folding bike. Would likely sell the ICE and hire one for long trips, inc roughly monthly over lots of hills. Is zapmap best place to locate charge points? Lots to learn!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Colin, sounds like you got a good deal!
In last year (retired) covered 8,300 miles, Skoda Roomster tdi, plus nearly 400miles on e-assist folding bike. Would likely sell the ICE and hire one for long trips, inc roughly monthly over lots of hills. Is zapmap best place to locate charge points? Lots to learn!
Hiya Roomster Richard, Just wondering how you've got along with your EV search? Quirkily enough, our family ICE is a Roomster (petrol - auto), plus we're pedelec fans. I've found SpeakEV folk really friendly and helpful, and the knowledge gained via the forum speeded up the time between thinking about it and finding the right car. Joined because was wnating to 'put a toe into the water' with EV life. A Peugeot iOn fitted our needs. But the Roomster is a great ICE and is still in the stable. Hope all goes well with your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts