Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the site and EVs generally

I am looking for a car for my wife to learn to drive in the criteria are
safe
auto
not too expensive
easy to drive
range of 50miles
I didnt expect to find an EV in my price range but have spotted a C1 for sale nearby which would be a low cost way into EVs. The snag is it has **** issues after sitting for a while. I'd be grateful for any advice about diagnosing issues and repairing them. Thanks Peter

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,632 Posts
If its just a 50 mile range you could also consider the Ion/Czero/imiev EVs too.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I repair and service the C1 Evies, and hold all parts for them . If someone is claiming its capable of 50 miles, do not believe them. Very few were made with the extra 7 cells that gave extra range. Most will just about do 40 miles of reasonable driving in the warm. But considerable less in the cold. If you are thinking about the red one on ebay. Think long and hard. I have seen it a few times with its previous owner. I cant say any more in public about it.
To enable diagnosis I rent out a netbook by the week with the software to speak to the BMS and down load it, I will also comment on the data when its returned. But nothing will function at all if the 12v battery is flat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I repair and service the C1 Evies, and hold all parts for them . If someone is claiming its capable of 50 miles, do not believe them. Very few were made with the extra 7 cells that gave extra range. Most will just about do 40 miles of reasonable driving in the warm. But considerable less in the cold. If you are thinking about the red one on ebay. Think long and hard. I have seen it a few times with its previous owner. I cant say any more in public about it.
To enable diagnosis I rent out a netbook by the week with the software to speak to the BMS and down load it, I will also comment on the data when its returned. But nothing will function at all if the 12v battery is flat.
Many thanks for the expert advice. I saw it on Autotrader but it is the same one. It sounds as if the car in question has "history" .Pity . The 40mile range wouldnt have been a deal breaker but if it isn't a cheap fix I will have to keep on looking

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have given the seller some advice and options to investigate the extent of the pack shortcomings, they have decided to lower the price to its current level and sell as is without further investigation. I tend to buy the vehciles I sell directly from Local Authorities, and as such I would not be inclined to buy one to repair and sell on at this price. I last saw this vehicle a few months ago after it had been left too long and the battery pack taken so low the charger would not start.It came in for the day, I charged it to the point where the charger would work , and the owner took it away. I fully expected a number of cells to be less than perfect, this was not the first time this had happened. I did not see the car again before the appearance on Ebay.
I have done other work to this car, and the previous owners have also done some things I would not feel comfortable doing, but enabled the vehicle to fucnction. This work is not outwardly obvious.
As to costs, each replacement Cell (it has 25) is £120+vat + fitting, cost of fitting is between £150 and £250 depending on where they are located. Replacement of extra cells does not require significantly extra work / significantly extra labour if done at the same time. I would suggest this requires a number more than one (and less than 25) to make the battery pack work successfully.
Good cars, limited range , decent performance, decent ride, real car safety, and low conventional car parts cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts