Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What is important to you?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hi. We are Northamptonshire Highways. We are installing points soon in Northampton. What are your thoughts?
Not sure you meant to post this here - but fantastic news - the more the merrier. Make sure you get them on Plugshare and Zap-Map apps/websites, and also give people a number to call in case of problems (with out of hours, too). Thanks for your support of EVs!

Anything we can do to help, just shout.

There are a few Northants EV owners on here, I'm just over the border in Oxfordshire, but it would be well worth giving folk a shout if you do a press launch - the more people hear about EVs the better!

·
Super Moderator
7,305 Posts
We are installing electric points in town. What is important to you?
Easy to find, easy to use, petrol cars are not allowed in the same space (massive penalty for them doing so to discourage them parking there), at places people want to go to for a few hours - assuming you're putting in 3/7KW posts and not 50kW rapid chargers.

I live in Northants and am happy to chat over the phone/in person if it helps! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
We are installing electric points in town. What is important to you?
Assuming you are a representative of Northampton Council welcome, and well done for actually asking the opinion of users. So few local authorites do. They just slap chargers in the council car parks then try to stop the public using them. (Aylesbury)

I am not a Northampton resident, but I do visit friends there and would appreciate somewhere to charge to get me home again without having to go to the charging cornucopia that is Milton Keynes.

I have two suggestions for you when siting chargers :-
1/ Mark the bays clearly and unambiguously they are for EV charging only. Nothing upsets EV owners more than finding chargers blocked by petrol vehicles or even worse EV owners who think it is OK to use it as a private parking place. Fine offenders. Set time limits.

2/ Make them available to ANYONE. No special local clubs, no subscription based service. We want to pay for electricity just like you pay for petrol.

Finally. From my point of view I am only likely to use a charger in Northampton if it is a rapid charger. Other chargers would not give me sufficient charge to get anywhere useful.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Yep, agree with the above - please god not another app or RFID based scheme. Literally, pay as you go - like you pay for petrol.

Also very important is the penalty to non-EV drivers as mentioned above. Not being able to charge is like having a closed petrol station. When you're low on fuel, and with few chargers at present, it can be a real headache.

One more point: make a 24 hr phone line available for your parking control team, that EV drivers can ring up and get offending ICE vehicles removed. They have to learn the hard (and expensive) way!

·
Registered
920 Posts
We are currently working on our Smart Corridors and want to know what people want from their points. What is important to you????
I work at the Hospital and a few of us have eVs but no chargers! Anywhere walking distance to hospital or indeed inside it wud be great! A rapid charger wud be fantaastic and wudnt mind paying per kWh used..

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
Location and ease of use. 24/7 car parks that are well lit and in areas of decent mobile reception are good places to put chargers.

Then cost. If it's a charger in somewhere horrible I'd pay less to use it than one that is somewhere that is pleasant to be in.

·
Registered
699 Posts
What's a "smart corridor"?
The answer to my question above might make the rest of this post redundant, but I think you need to be clear about what purpose you are trying to fulfil with these chargers, and who you want to benefit. Are they to go outside businesses, hospitals, houses, etc so as to encourage people within your area to buy/use EVs? If so, then they can be relatively cheap, low speed chargers, and that means you can have lots of them spread around the county so they can be used as people park up going about their daily lives. Or if you are aiming to allow people travelling reasonable distances to travel to/through Northamptonshire, then you need faster chargers, which are expensive and so you will probably have to get fewer and think more carefully about where you put them.
I think the way that you charge (time, power taken, some combination of the 2) is also important, and that might also vary according to which sort of charger it is.
Cheers
Duncan

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
We are currently working on our Smart Corridors and want to know what people want from their points. What is important to you????
I hope you don't get a hard time here, but I suspect you may. I live in Northampton and our charge coverage is pathetic compared to most other locations, including but not limited to Milton Keynes. Our default position if we hear there could be charging in Northampton is likely cynicism. As Duncan says, it would be helpful if you could give some background to your request and a bit of context - otherwise some may assume you're wasting our time. Sorry for that, but that's our experience.

Anyone working / living / driving by Northampton?

·
Leave in a Leaf
492 Posts
As a resident of Northants I'm just pleased that our local Highways dept is being proactive and helping to overcome the chicken and egg problem that is stifling the take up of EVs - so well done from me.

As a relatively recent convert the most important thing to me is knowing that I will be able to charge - when I get to the charge point and in this age of apps that must be relatively straightforward. I'm still learning - and mostly freeloading at Nissan dealers ! - so this may be in existence already.

The other thing that stops you charging is those old fashioned ICE things (or rather their short sighted Neanderthal drivers) but given that some people don't even respect disabled spaces I can't see that ever changing.

On a more personal point (!) there's a dearth of Rapids (or even Fasts) around me - look on ZapMap at the area bounded by Peterborough, Corby, Northampton, MK, Bedford and then back up the A1 to Peterborough. It's not all the shire of spires and squires but a fair chunk of it is - some more points within that area would be good.

·
Registered
920 Posts
As a resident of Northants I'm just pleased that our local Highways dept is being proactive and helping to overcome the chicken and egg problem that is stifling the take up of EVs - so well done from me.

As a relatively recent convert the most important thing to me is knowing that I will be able to charge - when I get to the charge point and in this age of apps that must be relatively straightforward. I'm still learning - and mostly freeloading at Nissan dealers ! - so this may be in existence already.

The other thing that stops you charging is those old fashioned ICE things (or rather their short sighted Neanderthal drivers) but given that some people don't even respect disabled spaces I can't see that ever changing.

On a more personal point (!) there's a dearth of Rapids (or even Fasts) around me - look on ZapMap at the area bounded by Peterborough, Corby, Northampton, MK, Bedford and then back up the A1 to Peterborough. It's not all the shire of spires and squires but a fair chunk of it is - some more points within that area would be good.
Are u sure this chap is genuine? No replies to all our messages...?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are u sure this chap is genuine? No replies to all our messages...?
If you google you will find Northants Council do indeed have a smart corridors scheme which includes EV chargers. This is your chance to constructively engage with a local authority. Let's not scare them off. I have already given my input on another thread, but I will repeat it here to put it in one place.

As an occasional visitor to Northampton I need enough charge to get home again. So the best type of charger to suit me is a rapid.

Charging bay's occupied by ICE cars are incredibly frustrating so they should be clearly marked with time limits and fines for violators.

The chargers should be available to ANYONE. No special clubs or subscription required. Just turn up and pay. Just like buying petrol.
(Lidl's arrangement with PodPoint is a good model to follow. Chargers are fully maintained and managed, but can be accessed with a simple credit card.)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
With a Plugin hybrid type having restricted charging (3.3kw) I look for destination chargers to park up at, Carparks with chargers are great as long as the charger is accessible as in no daft apps / cards belonging to some obscure branch of the local treehugger society. Some simple credit card, cash, pay on exit method is good. If I can pay for parking with card/coins why not a charge as all the kit is already in place for payment.
Also note I won't bother to charge and will run the engine if the cost of electric is excessive. Source London this is looking at you at 70p+ kwh

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I would like to see well maintained rapid chargers with well signed and enforced short stay (1h or less) parking regulations.

Ideally there should be at least two at each location to give some level of redundancy and cut the average waiting time.

Some should be located close to trunk roads on the outskirts of towns and some in the centre of towns.

I want to be able to start a charge without being a member of any particular charging network, ideally by contactless payment.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you google you will find Northants Council do indeed have a smart corridors scheme which includes EV chargers. This is your chance to constructively engage with a local authority. Let's not scare them off. I have already given my input on another thread, but I will repeat it here to put it in one place.

As an occasional visitor to Northampton I need enough charge to get home again. So the best type of charger to suit me is a rapid.

Charging bay's occupied by ICE cars are incredibly frustrating so they should be clearly marked with time limits and fines for violators.

The chargers should be available to ANYONE. No special clubs or subscription required. Just turn up and pay. Just like buying petrol.
(Lidl's arrangement with PodPoint is a good model to follow. Chargers are fully maintained and managed, but can be accessed with a simple credit card.)
I concur, but if someone just puts up a question and then disappears without even acknowledging the replies what wud u say? Let's wait n see...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome, @Northants Highways, and thanks for coming on: it's really good to see a LA having the gumption to ask what's needed before spending money. All too often we've seen work simply just going ahead without any understanding of the demand, which may put ticks in boxes but usually wastes money.

A quick search suggests that Smart Corridors seems to be mainly concerned with commuter traffic in Northampton itself: is that right? If so, I guess your charging points should be destination chargers, preferably 7kW. As a periodic visitor to the shire rather than the county town, that's not something I can comment on in detail, though destination charging in Northampton does seem to be desperately thin on the ground.

If I've misunderstood, though, and you're looking at chargers across the county, a rapid along the Northampton-Thrapston section of the A45 would be great when passing through. And some destination chargers in car parks in Kettering, Thrapston & Oundle would be ones I'd find useful.

In terms of your original question, location is key for destination chargers (7kW etc). They're suited to places where you leave your car for quite a while, quite possibly a few hours, and probably head off on foot (park & ride sites being a major exception). So, to be useful, the chargers need to be within convenient walking distance of where drivers want to spend those hours. Being easy to use and sensibly riced is always a help.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts