Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've owned my Zoe since June. I went through lots of pain at the beginning getting the charging point in and working properly but since then I'm very happy with the car. Some occasional ... quirkiness, shall we say ... in the car's electronics but in daily use it suits me perfectly. Trying to spread the word, one ICE driver at a time.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Welcome, great to have someone with a Zoe on here! We went to look at the Zoe, but as posted elsewhere the dealer experience was so poor we ended up going to Nissan, and the rest, as they say, is history!

What quirks are you encountering? Perhaps a discussion for another thread, if there are many! :D

Hope you like it here, and if you can tempt any fellow Zoe owners over, all the better! ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I was very lucky with the dealership, they are very pro EV and they were outstanding when dealing with the chargepoint issues which strictly speaking weren't their problem.

Quirks are an intermittently strobing reversing camera, occasional inability to start the car due to 'hill start assist' messages appearing (when not on a hill), occasional messages on startup about rear seatbelts or windows when there's no-one in the back and once a message saying 'electrical motor failure' when I was still driving!

And I have to say the satnav is the most irritating I've ever used but perhaps I should just go back to the dealership and get them to train me properly (or RTFM but hey..).

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
And I have to say the satnav is the most irritating I've ever used but perhaps I should just go back to the dealership and get them to train me properly (or RTFM but hey..).
LOL!

What is it about the SatNav in EVs? The one in the Ampera is just pants and without doubt the worst SatNav of any I have used either in a car or out. In fact, I spent over £2000 to get the top model in the Ampera mainly for the SatNav. OK, I get other stuff such a Bose sounds and a couple of other extras but tbh I really only wanted the built-in SatNav and what has happened? It is so bad that I have to carry a £100 TomTom (other makes are available!) in the car as often the car SatNav is just won't take me to my destination.

I was hoping for a software update to improve it but I have had official notification from Vauxhall that they don't intend to improve the SatNav by adding full postcodes. DOH!

·
Banned
558 Posts
The IMiev we got was kind-of 'bespoke' - with full leather, reversing camera and upmarket DVD, stereo and integrated Sat Nav - we could even have had TV - at a price.
The Satnav is Garmin, but its is absolutely rubbish (IMHO)! There is no support at all for EV charge points, except for making favourites. However, its the route planning that is driving me crazy and I'm often taken on circuitous routes. We use Garmin for boat navigation and those models are great - but there are not cheap to buy, extend the map database, or to keep up to date!
If my routing is critical to range I always do parallel navigation on the IPad - but I only use Google Maps. We eschew the Apple Maps and its slick 3-D auto-pilot functionality, in favour of Google Maps - just tracking the car's movement on a 2-D map!
EV drivers desperately need some Satnav manufacture to come up with a EV-specific model, which could optimise routes for range (or speed). It should also have the ability to update the location of charge points, on a regular basis - adding in new charge-points (from the internet) within hours - not days! In the long term we could have a Sat Nav with telemetry that would give use real-time update on serviceability and availability; however, I suspect that is too Utopian to even contemplate.
Drive ON!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts