Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’ve lurked for a while, now signed up. I have a BMW 530e on order, it’s due early May. It’s a company car so the BIK (at least for the next couple of years) made it a no brainier. Very excited but was a little miffed when I read that the battery was being increased to 12kwh in July but mine will have the current 9.2 kWh spec. I’ve ordered a Growatt untethered charger via API electrical so will be charging it....unlike most company car drivers!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi, welcome. Know what you mean. The 225xe battery is going up to 9kWh this year, really wish BMW offered some sort of upgrade programme. I charge every day pretty much as a matter of course, if your charger is conveniently positioned it’s a 10 second job. I went for a tethered charger cable for that reason, rather than having to get a cable out and pack it away every time. I’d rather buy a separate cable for charging elsewhere if I needed it. Of course you can use an untethered cabled the same way by padlocking it to the charge point most of the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew tethered would be more convenient but figured I'll probably leave it plugged in and wrapped around the charger most of the time (quiet area, end of a cul-de-sac) but can the take the lead with me when needed withouth needing to buy another one..

·
Registered
502 Posts
I knew tethered would be more convenient but figured I'll probably leave it plugged in and wrapped around the charger most of the time (quiet area, end of a cul-de-sac) but can the take the lead with me when needed withouth needing to buy another one..
A neat and simple way to secure the lead, which I have seen, is to have a strong staple or eye screwed to the wall or post close to the charging point (using tamper proof screws is best). All you have to do is loop a decent padlock with a large enough hasp around both the cable and staple and do it up. Saves any opportunist walking off with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Dan, have you had your Growatt installed yet by API? I am considering calling these guys up. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
C3D86804-89A1-4902-B2D6-B3102BAC945F.jpeg
Hi Dan, have you had your Growatt installed yet by API? I am considering calling these guys up. Thanks.
Yes, I had it installed this week. Very happy with the physical installation and service I received however the installer could not get the WiFi fancy stuff to work so it currently will only work as a simple charger. My new 530e hasn’t arrived yet so can’t actually say if it works or not! However I’m getting the loan of a Tesla today through work (my employer is evaluating the feasibility of EV) so will know this evening if it works or not.

To be fair to API they have not asked for any payment and have said they won’t do so until it’s all working so I’m happy. I like the look of it (it is fairly deep but I’d seen that from the pics, but that also means you can wrap the lead around it) and it’s very well priced for a future proof 7kw charger. API have been really good to deal with. I’ve read elsewhere that there have been some issues with the app etc but I’m happy to sit and wait for them to work everything out until they’re confident they can work it out and come back to get the gubbins going.

I’ll try to post a pic, the white surround has changed to metallic effect, looks q smart I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 116506
Yes, I had it installed this week. Very happy with the physical installation and service I received however the installer could not get the WiFi fancy stuff to work so it currently will only work as a simple charger. My new 530e hasn’t arrived yet so can’t actually say if it works or not! However I’m getting the loan of a Tesla today through work (my employer is evaluating the feasibility of EV) so will know this evening if it works or not.

To be fair to API they have not asked for any payment and have said they won’t do so until it’s all working so I’m happy. I like the look of it (it is fairly deep but I’d seen that from the pics, but that also means you can wrap the lead around it) and it’s very well priced for a future proof 7kw charger. API have been really good to deal with. I’ve read elsewhere that there have been some issues with the app etc but I’m happy to sit and wait for them to work everything out until they’re confident they can work it out and come back to get the gubbins going.

I’ll try to post a pic, the white surround has changed to metallic effect, looks q smart I think.
Looks great dan123. I'm interested in having a Growatt installed, untethered too. How are you finding it so far? I'm happy to wait until app issues are sorted but keen to know how the security works. Can it really be set so only authorised users can use it? Any pros and cons? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I’ve had the Tesla on loan so I now know the charger definitely works. I suppose tethered/un tethered is a personal choice. I bought an original BMW charging lead from a Scottish BMW dealer on eBay for £115 (list is £165) which I thought was a pretty good price.

As for the WiFi/ security stuff I’m really not too fussed. I’m lucky to live tucked away at the end of a quiet cul de sac with nosey neighbours! My understanding is someone said It’s possible to access the side panel, and access my WiFi.....I just can’t see it happening. Plus i can always switch it off from inside the locked garage.

The one I really fancied was the EO mini but it was a fair bit dearer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
74 Posts
D'oh !! Thanks. A bit bigger than A4, plus a bit of depth. I have 2 young and mischievous kids, I fear they will mess about with a charging unit. Does this unit have any key lock/security? And does anyone else have similar concerns regarding kids tampering with such things?

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
D'oh !! Thanks. A bit bigger than A4, plus a bit of depth. I have 2 young and mischievous kids, I fear they will mess about with a charging unit. Does this unit have any key lock/security? And does anyone else have similar concerns regarding kids tampering with such things?
No. But my kids had respect for my 'no-go' instructions and were self disciplined enough to comply after full discussions over the reasons for my request to leave certain items well alone. In effect, they also then became efficient agents to prevent other playtime kids from tampering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts