Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note to say hello and thanks for letting me join.

Im awaiting a Mercedes A250e on the 28th October and have had a 13A external socket put outside for now for use during the day with granny charger (i work nights). Ill later invest in. A type 2 box at home but thats for next spring.

I couldnt find an option for the A250e maybe someone can add one?

Many thanks!
Meeko

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I couldnt find an option for the A250e maybe someone can add one?
Hi! Hope you enjoy your time here on the forums.

Mercedes aren't so popular in terms of plug in cars at the moment. For now everything goes in the general Mercedes discussion since it's so quiet over there so currently no need to break it down by model.

13A charging isn't ideal. If you've just recently had the outdoor socket installed the wiring should hopefully be up to scratch, but it's a not as safe, fast or efficient as a dedicated charging unit. Pod Point would be my recommendation for who to go with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
13A charging isn't ideal. If you've just recently had the outdoor socket installed the wiring should hopefully be up to scratch, but it's a not as safe, fast or efficient as a dedicated charging unit. Pod Point would be my recommendation for who to go with.
Many thanks for the reply. I take your point about 13A charging, its only a short term measure and Im tempted by Pod Point in Spring.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Im tempted by Pod Point in Spring.
If you work nights and have solar (or considering for the future) then a Zappi charger would take maximum advantage of solar energy to top up the car while you sleep!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you work nights and have solar (or considering for the future) then a Zappi charger would take maximum advantage of solar energy to top up the car while you sleep!
Many thanks for the suggestion, well worth thinking about!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
FWIW I recommend using a granny EVSE at the lowest current possible, ideally 6A. I've used a good quality one for 5 years, and it's just finally gone bang on me. There's no ventilation inside these, so internal heat build-up is their big enemy imho. Mine finally failed when I set it to 13A (it's rated for 16!) and the mains input spade connector on PCB failed & burnt out. It's done 13A before ok. The resulting mains short blew the pcb to bits, and sent a pulse down the CP low-voltage control line which I think has upset my car's internal charger controller module ($300 for a new one). I'm now getting reliable 6A charge on a new granny EVSE; my wall EVSE gets a few secs of charging, then car whinges about voltage on CP line out-of-spec, then it restarts charging for a few secs, whinges, and that's continuing to cycle for some reason I don't yet understand. So I'll prob get a 2nd hand charger controller ($90 + import) & get that swapped in, needs computer dealer configging, as a test.

With my new granny EVSE (which I use a lot at it fits well with solar panel output for 8 months a year) I'm going to stick very hard to 6A max, to try as best I can to reduce thermal cycling. The more the temp changes inside, the more the solder joints to PCBs stretch & compress. Over time I suspect my joint suffered metal fatigue, and micro-cracks internal to the joint will have grown, and reduced the conductivity, so leading to greater heat & worse stretch-compress etc. I suspect this is what finally killed mine. So after 3 years I'll have the new one apart and resolder all those potentially-wearing-out high-current joints inside. No prob for me as a tecchy. Not so easy for Joe Public. So be aware, these things do wear out, they're not infinite-life, and the less-hard they're stressed & loaded, the longer they'll last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts