Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good to see that there is already a well run owners club, congratulations
Just got my Ampera a few days ago. Very impressed. It is replacement for a Prius that I managed to write off last year. Having had a history of gas guzzling cars from Audi and the like I was satisfied but not blown away with the Prius' performance. But the Ampera is clearly in a league of it's own, my 8 mile commute with a bit of running around gives me a full day in EV mode. We also run a number of Prius' in our business and have decided to switch to Ampera when the leases expire.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi David and Welcome to the forum!

Great to hear you have your Ampera already. What colour did you go for? Electron or Positiv?

Where abouts are you? I am trying to get an idea of where everyone is perhaps for future meet-up events.

Interesting you are switching away from a Prius. You said you were satisfied with the Prius but I have heard many times that the Prius mpg figures are not as good as Toyota suggest they should be. What mpg were you getting from your Prius?

Great to have you on board.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just outside Bracknell, Black Electron, got it 5 days ago.

Prius gets heavily criticised but I found (just like the Ampera range on a single charge) it depends how you drive it.

On one occasion I drove up north when my mother was ill, the speedo showing three figures all the way and got 42mpg. I know of few vehicles that could do that and get that kind of return.

Driven sensibly I would get 55-60 mpg,however one of the later Prius models driven by a colleague regularly gets 60+, she is admittedly a far more sensible driver than I am, but the later models (prior to the new plug-in version) are more refined and give more help to drive economically. It is also worth remembering that the sub 100 CO2 figure for the new Prius is not exclusively down to a low mpg, the load on the engine during acceleration (which is the most polluting phase of any engine's duty cycle) is mitigated by the hybrid function giving a much cleaner burn.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Very interesting feedback from an ex Prius owner. Thank you for that.

Interesting what you say about the Prius mpg at higher speed because most of the Prius I see are passing me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts