Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
64KW/h Premium SE on order in Galactic grey
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me how the range is calculated once car is fully charged.
When I got my Kona last year April, it would always show 279 miles when 100% charged.
It went down in the winter to about 240 and now, the warmer weather is here it only goes to 245 max when fully charged.
Why is this. Does it calculate it off the accumulated kw/h.
I don't know if my battery is operating correctly.
I've lost 30plus miles off the range.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's called a GOM (guessometer) for a reason. As you get back into driving again the range predictions will come back to what they were.
It is a bit offputting but nothing has disappeared

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not sure anyone has ever figured out the exact maths that it uses but it's some kind of average

·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But why would it show 279 in April last year then this April, temperatures the same if not higher, same driving style, 90% economy showing and I can't charge it to 100% and get any more than 245.
Very strange

·
Registered
672 Posts
When I got my Kona last year April, it would always show 279 miles when 100% charged.
It went down in the winter to about 240 and now, the warmer weather is here it only goes to 245 max when fully charged.
What are the recent values of miles / kWh over the last few hundred miles, as shown in the screen display for "Driving History" in the "ECO driving" part of the EV menu screen?
The indicated range value is based on this history.

·
Registered
115 Posts
But why would it show 279 in April last year then this April, temperatures the same if not higher, same driving style, 90% economy showing and I can't charge it to 100% and get any more than 245.
Very strange
When I had my Ioniq, I noticed the predicted range would drop quickly with winter driving or a heavy right foot, and increased very slowly as the weather improved or took it easy on the throttle.

It takes an average over your last dozen or so journeys, and an average takes a while to increase as it takes the best and worst journeys and combines them all together, lowering the actual range you will be getting.

·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's showing 4.2 average.
I've been using car alot as I'm a key worker. Covered 18000 miles so far.
If it's an average of last few months I would of thought it would be higher as I drive like an old grandad:rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's showing 4.2 average.
I've been using car alot as I'm a key worker. Covered 18000 miles so far.
If it's an average of last few months I would of thought it would be higher as I drive like an old grandad:rolleyes:
You can see your last dozen or so journeys by touching the eco driving and then the previous economy. My average is 4.6, although my last half a dozen journeys have been over 5.0. My best is 5.6 yesterday, however I've got a 3.8 from a quick trip to the local shop. Just those two readings will give an average of 4.7. So if you are getting some good numbers in the previous journeys, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I understand the OP received the car new in April last year, so the driving history from last April won't be the same as now. The overall battery loading includes HVAC, lighting etc and the car regen settings will also affect the apparent use of battery kWh. Additionally, tyre rolling resistance is not a trivial contribution to energy usage so tyre pressure and wet/dry roads also influence the amount of required battery energy. Comparing on the basis of similar journeys and driving style won't remove some uncertainty in the amount of actual energy use.

·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I just thought the car would charge upto 279 miles everytime but drop more rapidly depending on driving factors.
Many thanks for your replies.
I am trying do hard to drive it's eco but I can't seem to get it to a constant 4.5 average which is where I think it needs to be.
Had no problem last year. Regularly got 300 plus miles out of a full battery

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I have a feeling that the m/kWh display doesn't include auxiliaries like heating and aircon, only the traction power. So short journeys will produce a decent number for that but a poor overall range.
But I may be wrong.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
204 Posts
If you remember the reliability of predicted range from the petrol/diesel cars you've owned, note that this is LESS reliable because the possible error margins are much higher.. In other words, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a feeling that the m/kWh display doesn't include auxiliaries like heating and aircon, only the traction power. So short journeys will produce a decent number for that but a poor overall range.
But I may be wrong.
Using @davesul’s Torque Pro pids for net kWh draw from the HV battery against distance gives a match for the dash economy number - the displayed dash value is a true reflection of total battery use. Note that all EV’s initially show poor consumption because of the hit taken from starting up the electronics, my gen1 Leaf was exactly the same...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had noticed that when the weather changes colder, not only does the ambient temperature effect range but also when you engage the heater you are more likely to keep that turned onall of the time, but with air conditioning you are more likely to turn it on and off or open a window therby saving energy which equals better range, as the vehicle had no history to work on last year it is just taking the recent use into mind, i am not sure but ithink in the settings menu you can zero it, and you should be back to normal :unsure:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,362 Posts
Some algorithm known only to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
451 Posts
We all have different base points depending on what time of year we had our cars delivered. Mine is a September 18 car so the range was going south from then and a couple of months later sinking to a low of about 220 January 2019. It went up to 320 last Summer before collapsing again last Winter. Currently 280 and improving.

These are not normal times fir driving patterns.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts