Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Ours showed 279 when we first got it. Never been higher than 235 since and down to 210 in winter.

We've done 27k miles in 13 months, mostly on motorways and A roads and don't drive particularly economically. It's a lot less sensitive to driving style than our previous Leaf30.

Very happy with range but realise its nowhere near what others get.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm quite happy with my current actual value, but having some spare time and being curious, I've looked at the car information screens - currently showing a remaining range of 192 miles with 70% battery SOC and an indicated average on the "drivers" LCD screen. of 4.1 miles/kWh.
However, looking at the Economy History tabulation on the main screen shows that the recent 15 journeys, totalling about 600 miles, show values of rather higher miles/kWh, mostly in the range 4.6 to 5 miles/kWh.

But if I take the full set of 30 recorded travel economy values from the Economy History and total up the mileage (about 1300 miles) and calculate the corresponding individual kWh drawn on each journey and then use these for calculating the average, the result is very close to the car indictaed value of 4.1 miles/kWh - alternatively the same result can be obtained by taking the average of all the individual miles/kWh values in the tabulation.
So it could well be that the car algorithm uses the full set of historical values to find an average.

However, looking at the current predicted range, comparing with a prediction from the combination of values of battery SOC and average miles/ kWh - this doesn't apparently correspond to the above calculated average value over 30 journeys - it seems (possibly coincidentally) to give a close match by using the average miles/kWh of the most recent 15 journeys.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Recently I haven't been going anywhere (wfh and supposedly educating kids at same time :rolleyes:), but my wife has been using the Kona a couple of times a week to go to work and back (she is a key worker). She takes it with 50% and brings it back with just over 20%. I did notice that range was looking low one evening whilst putting car into garage, looking at history it seems she has been wearing her lead driving boots as most of her journeys are struggling to be much better than 3m/kWh😃. When I was last using it in early march I was seeing high 4s but hadn't managed a journey at over 5 yet this year. Maybe this explains why I once drove my wife's car 120 miles north up the M1 and arrived with the same estimated range as when I left our house?
Last week I managed to break my ankle so regardless of any lifting of restrictions, can't drive for at least 5 more weeks, I wonder what the range will have dropped to by then?

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
118 Posts
And whether your wife will let you have it back at all.
Surely at 3m/kwh it should be whether you let her ever drive it again :) To get that low in the Ioniq I would have to have the aircon on full, all windows fully open, sport mode, heavy right foot, and dragging an open parachute!! I would have had a suggestion if it had a rachet handbrake (she'd left it up), but not with the new on-off ones. My missus is upset when she doesn't get above 5, but I wouldn't want to be following her on a single lane A road though!!

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
363 Posts
I find going at around 77-80 leads to about 3miles/kW.......for me, going a bit easier might get it to 4 or thereabouts......but I struggle to sit on dual carriageways or motorways and do less than an actual 70mph.....
Always impresses me how many are able to eke 4-5 out, or even more. Must drive like saints 😆
Sadly I’ve been a sinner all my life with cars.....

Reactions: IoniqHugh

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am trickle charging the car on solar and just noticed on the BlueLink app that at 91% it is showing an estimated 300 miles of range! Local driving with no motorways sure makes a difference.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts