Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Really need help deciding between the E-Niro and Kona. I'd be looking to buy either the Niro 4+ or the Kona Premium SE model.

Space isn't an issue/concern as it'll mostly just be me in the car. I also understand that the range is pretty similar in both.

Has anyone been in a similar position?

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
216 Posts
They look very different but are otherwise very similar so I imagine for most people it comes down to what they prefer the look of. There are some minor differences spec-wise (especially for the 2019 and 2020 models where there was only a single trim for the e-Niro) and some other small differences, e.g. e-Niro has extra rear and boot space and better stock tyres, the Kona has a HUD.

This video might help you out:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Its the same drivetrain, the main difference is cosmetic, and the size, so really its down to personal taste really?

For me, i prefer the Niro, its more "conventional" looking, and more importantly, its bigger.

·
Registered
356 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, you could get the Kona immediately. If you want a Niro, I was told the end of the year.

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
180 Posts
Hi All,

Really need help deciding between the E-Niro and Kona. I'd be looking to buy either the Niro 4+ or the Kona Premium SE model.

Space isn't an issue/concern as it'll mostly just be me in the car. I also understand that the range is pretty similar in both.

Cheers,

Dan
Apart from size, most review comparisons that I’ve seen comment on the e-Niro having a better ride quality.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
160 Posts
Currently experiencing the same dilemma but in my case, between the eNiro and the Soul EV.

I am not a fan of the interior on the Kona. Plus the ride quality is not as good by all accounts. And even though I hardly ever have people in the back, with the Kona, the rear space is barely suitable for an adult.

I have taken a liking to the white Soul with red roof. My biggest obstacle now is the marmite nature of it - I love it but members of the family hate it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Also consider how long you are planning to keep it as Kia warranty is 7 years and Hyundai is 5 years.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers,

Dan
In which case why not the Soul? Higher driving position for better visibility. Same sort of range, 275 or thereabout with normal driving.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Currently experiencing the same dilemma but in my case, between the eNiro and the Soul EV.

I am not a fan of the interior on the Kona. Plus the ride quality is not as good by all accounts. And even though I hardly ever have people in the back, with the Kona, the rear space is barely suitable for an adult.

I have taken a liking to the white Soul with red roof. My biggest obstacle now is the marmite nature of it - I love it but members of the family hate it.
That does look good. I was torn, would like to swap every week :D
Great rear space in the back. Small boot though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I test drove both. Kona is nice but interior not a good as 2020 e-Niro. Buttons are more plasticky! Kona has blind spot warning on top spec. Liked bigger boot in Niro and new 10" screen. Went for Niro and don't regret it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And consider how many miles you drive as the Hyundai warranty is unlimited miles over those 5 years and the Kia is 100k over 7 years
Yes, I'll only be keeping the car for 3-4 years so unfortunately I can't use this to help me decide 😩

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I test drove both. Kona is nice but interior not a good as 2020 e-Niro. Buttons are more plasticky! Kona has blind spot warning on top spec. Liked bigger boot in Niro and new 10" screen. Went for Niro and don't regret it.
I felt the same about the interior of the Kona vs Niro. My issue is that there's features in the Kona I wish the Niro had, like the blind spot warning as you mentioned and also the HUD display which I think is pretty cool.

For those that have the Kona, how useful do you find the HUD?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the availability of both cars?
The E-Niro used to be long winded?
Trying to find a white Niro 4+ is impossible. I'm a bit lost with all the different model numbers. Does the 4+ even exist yet or am I searching for a model that has not yet been produced?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
160 Posts
Trying to find a white Niro 4+ is impossible. I'm a bit lost with all the different model numbers. Does the 4+ even exist yet or am I searching for a model that has not yet been produced?
Yes you are. The eNiro was released in 2019 with the "first edition" as the only trim level.

The 2020 model year was then released with 3 and 4 trim

The 2021 model year starts deliveries in November with 2, 3 and 4+ trim levels. New orders now are for the 2021 model, you can't place an order for a new 4 any more, although they are still delivering 4s from earlier orders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers,

Dan
I just bought my
Hi All,

Cheers,

Dan
After road-testing the Kona, SoulEV, and Chevy Bolt, I discovered the NiroEV. Unfortunately, for Canada the NiroEV is on 9-month backorder.
For my height, Bolt was too small, while Kona seemed tight for width, and projected a cheap interior feel. (I had previously owned a Hyundai Sonata for 10 years, so my high expectations for the Kona were swiftly dashed)
Even though I had a better feeling about NiroEV (showroom sitting only), I opted for SoulEV, as seating seemed a bit higher for visibility. The HUD is a nice feature, as when you exceed speed limit, the numbers turn to yellow, then red.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
160 Posts
I had a HUD in a previous car (Pug 508) and thought it was a great addition. I don't need one in my current (out going) ICE, which is a Pug 3008, because of the current Pug style cue of flattened steering wheel and instruments that you see over the wheel rather than through it, which is great also.

When I swap, the HUD in the Soul is a big plus for me over the eNiro. I don't like having to read the dials through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I could live without it but it is nice to have. Little things like the lane tracking indication and the nav countdown to turning are useful (I think you can probably get them on the dash too, but it's just easy on the HUD).

Do consider where the dealerships are as well. How convenient will it be when it has to go in.

Kona came with better colour choice.
Yes, that was a factor for me too. The eNiro first edition came in white or a few shades of dark/boring, but that was over a year ago and may have changed now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts