Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
232 Posts
I could live without it but it is nice to have. Little things like the lane tracking indication and the nav countdown to turning are useful (I think you can probably get them on the dash too, but it's just easy on the HUD).

Do consider where the dealerships are as well. How convenient will it be when it has to go in.

Yes, that was a factor for me too. The eNiro first edition came in white or a few shades of dark/boring, but that was over a year ago and may have changed now.
No is hasn't much. There is a new shade of blue, but that's about it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
For those that have the Kona, how useful do you find the HUD?
Very useful. It saves me looking down to the dashboard most of the time.

My wife had a HUD when she had a mazda 3 and when she replaced that she got one on her BMW 225XE. The BMW salesman asked if we'd had a HUD before: he said the people who asked for that extra were almost always people who had previously had one.

When choosing a new car there were several reasons we chose the Kona over the e-Niro. My wife found the Kona seats more comfortable, so that was a big reason. She also found the e-Niro dashboard too busy; the Kona's display is similar but the HUD means that doesn't matter as much: your main focus is have a simple display with just what matters.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The Seating in the front of the Kona is definitely better than the Niro.

Dont dismiss the cooled seats in the Kona as a fad they are a godsend in Summer, also in the Kona both the Drivers and Passenger seats are Electrically adjusted, as far asI know on the Niro they cheeped out and went with manual adjust on the passenger seat. I get a bad back in seats easily and the Kona seats have been the best for me since a Volvo V40 some years ago, Never have any comfort issues in them at all.

The Niro wins on space, but for us it was the Kona, for the following reasons

Head Up Display.
LED Headlights (Not available on the Niro at launch).
Cooled Seats.
Blind Spot and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

Would not go back to a car without those now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really liked the blind spot detection and HUD on the Kona when I test drove, but preferred the interior of the e-Niro.
I think the upcoming 4+ e-Niro has ventilated seats as well as electronic adjustment of both front seats. It also has blind spot detection. No HUD, though.
I found wind noise above 50MPH or so quite loud in the Kona. The Niro seemed considerably quieter.
Personally, I opted for the e-Niro which was cheaper at the time (December 2019 order) and I preferred it overall. The Kona was my first EV test drive and was more than enough to make me decide I definitely want something like that.

Waiting time can be an issue. I'm still on my old diesel

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Like many, I ordered our Kona sight unseen the day it went on sale. First drive on the day I collected it. 30k miles later not a single regret. Have since driven the e-Niro and if space was an issue would choose that but on everything else Kona still wins for me.

I prefer more compact cars and for me it has more driver feel, prefer the interior design and the driver assistance features. Ride may be a bit better in Niro but Kona feels more dynamic and seats more supportive. Interior of our Premium may be a bit cheap feeling in places but has stood up remarkably well to wear and tear. Also much prefer cloth seats over leather - don't need to be heated or cooled.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
232 Posts
The Seating in the front of the Kona is definitely better than the Niro.

Dont dismiss the cooled seats in the Kona as a fad they are a godsend in Summer, also in the Kona both the Drivers and Passenger seats are Electrically adjusted, as far asI know on the Niro they cheeped out and went with manual adjust on the passenger seat. I get a bad back in seats easily and the Kona seats have been the best for me since a Volvo V40 some years ago, Never have any comfort issues in them at all.

The Niro wins on space, but for us it was the Kona, for the following reasons

Head Up Display.
LED Headlights (Not available on the Niro at launch).
Cooled Seats.
Blind Spot and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

Would not go back to a car without those now.
Funny how we all have different "must haves" from the list of stuff that didn't exist several years ago. For me, the key one is a speed limiter. I would never consider buying a car without one. Every camera controlled area, set and forget. Must have saved me on lots of occasions over the years.

I recall reading a thread where a potential Tesla M3 buyer was querying and bemoaning the fact that it doesn't have one. His rationale was identical to mine but none of the fan boys replying could get it at all. They were querying why it was possibly needed when the car is heading towards full self drive.

1) it's not there yet
2) it may never be
3) I want to drive the car myself but just have technology preventing me losing my license.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi All,

Really need help deciding between the E-Niro and Kona. I'd be looking to buy either the Niro 4+ or the Kona Premium SE model.

Space isn't an issue/concern as it'll mostly just be me in the car. I also understand that the range is pretty similar in both.

Has anyone been in a similar position?

Cheers,

Dan
Get the e-Niro. 4+ has a sunroof. don't think the Kona does
And Kia has 7-year warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm now also considering the I3s 2019 REX. I do maybe 300 motorway miles per month though, so not sure if this is ideal?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm now also considering the I3s 2019 REX. I do maybe 300 motorway miles per month though, so not sure if this is ideal?
I personally found the i3 rubbish at motorway speeds. Road noise and waves around a bit when passing lorries etc. (both as compared to other EV options).

·
Registered
516 Posts
This really has polorised the community, all Kona drivers saying the Kona is better, and all ENiro drivers saying the E Niro is better, because nobody would admit to making a bad decision. For me it was availability and I don't regret it. I can't see how the ride on the kona is noticeably bad but I do have one.
At this stage I would go with your gut, essentially its the same running gear so it has to be down to which design you prefer once you eliminate the warranty question and your distance to the nearest dealer. Either way if its your first ev you won't be disappointed with either, once you have made your decision you too can join camp polarised opinion🤗

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
This really has polorised the community, all Kona drivers saying the Kona is better, and all ENiro drivers saying the E Niro is better, because nobody would admit to making a bad decision.
Tis always thus. The advice of current or past owners is always biased and subjective. And the auto press can be influenced by advertising concerns.
Hence hard to get reliable advice, so inspection and test drives are really essential.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
This really has polorised the community, all Kona drivers saying the Kona is better, and all ENiro drivers saying the E Niro is better, because nobody would admit to making a bad decision. For me it was availability and I don't regret it. I can't see how the ride on the kona is noticeably bad but I do have one.
At this stage I would go with your gut, essentially its the same running gear so it has to be down to which design you prefer once you eliminate the warranty question and your distance to the nearest dealer. Either way if its your first ev you won't be disappointed with either, once you have made your decision you too can join camp polarised opinion🤗
I don't think so. I explained the reasons why I chose a Kona, several other posts similarly explain the reasons behind their choices. That isn't polarising opinion, that's explaining the thoughts behind our decisions. Ultimately whatever the OP decides will be based on how they prioritise the difference features, that has to be their decision and nobody else can make it for them.

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 64kWh Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
29 Posts
e-Niro has a nicer body shape and is larger, but only comes in white, dark white, off white, very dark white, very very dark white, and a blue that's almost black, and is less well equipped (no HUD, no BSM).

Kona is smaller internally and has a more "unusual" in overall body shape, but has a good range of body colours and has almost every modern toy you could wish for except (irritatingly) walk-away door locking.

I just bought the Kona, and although we're less than 400 miles in to owning it, the HUD is brilliant and I really miss it in my other (much older ICE) car. Deciding factors were the colour choice (Pulse Red is lovely!) and the fact that we rarely carry more than 2 people in it so rear-seat legroom is a consideration for maybe a dozen journeys a year. One hidden downside is that when driving in the dark, many drivers mistake the very low-set headlights for front fog lamps and angrily flash their headlamps at you. They soon stop when you flash the Kona main-beams back at them!

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
e-Niro has a nicer body shape
Entirely subjective (I think it's boring).

One hidden downside is that when driving in the dark, many drivers mistake the very low-set headlights for front fog lamps and angrily flash their headlamps at you.
The factory setting (a year ago anyway) seems a bit high. I had that problem and adjusted mine down a bit (on a thread somewhere). Better illumination and no flashing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Had both at different points. The Kona could almost be described as tiny compared to the e-Niro.

Niro interior feels much larger as is the boot.

Niro is better equipped as standard and the quality of the interior and materials used feels much higher. Lots of cheap, hard plastics in the Kona.

There’s marginal difference in range.

Kona looks more interesting outside, but the Niro is the more convincing package all round.

If you’re not fussy about colour and are happy to spend a bit of time ringing round, you’ll find a Niro In relatively good time.

If you’re leasing, I had an email last week from Select offering a bunch e-Niro’s from stock for immediate delivery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, you could get the Kona immediately. If you want a Niro, I was told the end of the year.
We were considering replacing our Otlander PHEV with the Niro PHEV and had a test drive of a normal Niro on 18 Jul 20 . Saw the e-Niro reviews online and the long lead times, and asked for delivery lead time from our dealer expecting 6-12 months. We were able to order a MY20 e-Niro 4 which we pick up next week so 4 weeks from order to delivery.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys. Think I’ve decided to get a MY2020 e-Niro. There’s one available near me for an end of August delivery in black, so gonna bite the bullet.
Isn't it worth pushing it to the 1st Sept to get it registered on a 70 plate if it's only a week or extra

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Isn't it worth pushing it to the 1st Sept to get it registered on a 70 plate if it's only a week or extra
I asked about this but the wait time is a few months. Is this the same for most dealers?

Edit: Just realised you meant registering the MY2020 car in September. Was on my phone and only read your reply quickly, thought you meant why not buy a MY2021 in September.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts